penetrating steel plte

Thumpersniper

I Used a girder as a (primary) backstop (big hill behind too) while zeroing my .22-250 today. I zeroed at 200 yards and couldnt beleive the actual penetration of the steel... I was using some Remington soft point and cheap Magtech softpoints. The bullets penetrated about half way through the 1/2" steel leaving almost a splash of curf and a perfect hole and the bullets were stopped dead (some still in the hole, some on the ground in front of the girder). How does lead penetrate steel? I thought it would shatter and leave a dent.

I wouldnt shoot steel with solid points (dont have any solid ammo but wouldnt anyway) even though I hear people do at a local rifle range during competitions etc, would they penetrate further or ricochet?

I Used a girder as a (primary) backstop (big hill behind too) while zeroing my .22-250 today. I zeroed at 200 yards and couldnt beleive the actual penetration of the steel... I was using some Remington soft point and cheap Magtech softpoints. The bullets penetrated about half way through the 1/2" steel leaving almost a splash of curf and a perfect hole and the bullets were stopped dead (some still in the hole, some on the ground in front of the girder). How does lead penetrate steel? I thought it would shatter and leave a dent.

I wouldnt shoot steel with solid points (dont have any solid ammo but wouldnt anyway) even though I hear people do at a local rifle range during competitions etc, would they penetrate further or ricochet?

I made a knockdown target out of 1/4" plate and 22 vmaxes out of my 222 went straight through from 200yds.I could hear the jacket ricochetting off to who knows where and did'nt shoot it after that.

Help..re pics above, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and why these come up so big...Cheers

i shrink mine using microsoft picture manager, i usually store the pics off my camera using 'adobe photoshop' so i look in pictures on my pc select the 'adobe' file find the right pictue i want, then i right click the picture before importing it from 'my pictures' and click on 'open with' then click on microsoft picture manager and right click again and select edit then you can choose a size to shrink it to in one of the dropdown box's i think its about the forth size from the top i usually select.

hope this helps i'm not great with computers so probably made it sound harder than it is.

atb gary

Help..re pics above, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and why these come up so big...Cheers

They would come up even bigger if it hadn't have already compressed them.

Rather than saving them on what little space you get on PW, just upload the images to a hosting site, such as Tinypic.com and you can choose the display size.