70 yard pigeon

bakerboy

Today I went out for shoot with "otherwayup" Darren :friends: it was very quiet with not many birds around. Having changed positions and set up again, things did not improve. To say we were getting bored would be an understatement.

Darren noticed 2 Woodies sitting in a tree some way off, try and shoot :shoot: one of them he challenges me, no :no: too far away I replied.

A few minutes later the birds were still sitting there and with nothing else happening, I thought shall I :hmm: .I aimed at the birds "rifled one of them" and fired. To my surprise down came the bird "dead" it fell into the river below.

I went to retrieve it,but it had floated away. I paced the distance back to the hide 80 paces, so I estimate that to be 65/70 yards, and the bird was about 30/40 feet up.

I was using a Hatsan semi auto 1/4 choke 30grm "6"s. :good:

To say I was chuffed would be an understatement :blush: .

I constantly tell people that you should always have a shot of the day, this was certainly mine :yes: (we did not shoot much else) but this is also my shot of the year. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

bakerboy

ps

Darren "otherwayup" is my witness

Edited by bakerboy

Today I went out for shoot with "otherwayup" Darren it was very quiet with not many birds around. Having changed positions and set up again, things did not improve. To say we were getting bored would be an understatement.

Darren noticed 2 Woodies sitting in a tree some way off, try and shoot one of them he challenges me, no too far away I replied.

A few minutes later the birds were still sitting there and with nothing else happening, I thought shall I .I aimed at the birds "rifled one of them" and fired. To my surprise down came the bird "dead" it fell into the river below.

I went to retrieve it,but it had floated away. I paced the distance back to the hide 80 paces, so I estimate that to be 65/70 yards, and the bird was about 30/40 feet up.

I was using a Hatsan semi auto 1/4 choke 30grm "6"s.

To say I was chuffed would be an understatement .

I constantly tell people that you should always have a shot of the day, this was certainly mine (we did not shoot much else) but this is also my shot of the year.

bakerboy

Edited by Dunkield
using super powers :-)

quite often with the long shots that drop stone dead you'll find its only a single pellet hit them but it hit the head. Its nice when it happens as you either seem to get a very clean kill or an overall miss

It would have been nice to have been able to pick up the bird.

Edited by bakerboy

Nice one BB.

I had one a years ago where a bird dropped in to the feild but about 60 yards away over the back of straw that was drying after havest. i seid to a mate that if i shoot over it to put it up he could have a go with a tight choke. so he changes his choke for tightest he had, no idea what it was. andway i put the bead about 4 foot over the top of where i thought the bird was and pulled the trigger i saw the bird lift and was waiting for the bang next to me but the bird just dropped. all as if in slow motion but matey hadn't pulled the trigger. went over and picked the bird, yes on pellet in the head and stone dead.

never tried it since and probably wouldn't again.

Phil.

Nice one BB.

I had one a years ago where a bird dropped in to the feild but about 60 yards away over the back of straw that was drying after havest. i seid to a mate that if i shoot over it to put it up he could have a go with a tight choke. so he changes his choke for tightest he had, no idea what it was. andway i put the bead about 4 foot over the top of where i thought the bird was and pulled the trigger i saw the bird lift and was waiting for the bang next to me but the bird just dropped. all as if in slow motion but matey hadn't pulled the trigger. went over and picked the bird, yes on pellet in the head and stone dead.

never tried it since and probably wouldn't again.

Phil.

It's a one off shot that you file away to talk about every now and then.

Thanks

Terry

Hmmm :hmm:

Me thinks this thread is a bit of a wind up? :yes:

No way is this a wind up, I did shoot the pigeon at that range, actually is was alittle firther as I had not taken the width of the river into consideration.

Lucky for me otherwayup was there to witness it. If it wasn't for Darren I would not have attempted it, but as i have said I will not try again.

Terry

No way is this a wind up, I did shoot the pigeon at that range, actually is was alittle firther as I had not taken the width of the river into consideration.

Lucky for me otherwayup was there to witness it. If it wasn't for Darren I would not have attempted it, but as i have said I will not try again.

Terry

Terry dont worry mate I regularly shoot birds at that distant flying the ones who are having a pop at you have not got the skill to take birds at that distant ,so either doudt it can be done and also think its cruel to shoot at a woodie at that distance.

But I have seen shooters who are more likely to wound a bird at 30 yards than me at 60/70 yards.

Hopfully we can meet one day cheers OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Terry dont worry mate I regularly shoot birds at that distant flying the ones who are having a pop at you have not got the skill to take birds at that distant ,so either doudt it can be done and also think its cruel to shoot at a woodie at that distance.

But I have seen shooters who are more likely to wound a bird at 30 yards than me at 60/70 yards.

Hopfully we can meet one day cheers OTH

we will do that in the new year, no problem. Look forward to meeting you

Terry

Firstly well done for a long shot, however it needs some looking at.

So from Eley, @ 60(not 70 yds) 1/4 choke gives 25% in a 30" circle and as a guess-timate 70 may be circa 18%

30gm no.6 is 287 pellets.

Therefore 287/100x18= 51.66 pellets.

Now go and count out 52, for the sake of argument, grains of rice and arrange them inside a 30" circle of paper. Or just get out into a field and shoot at 70 yds at a paper target of the exact silhouette of the bird and its vitals and see how many shots hit them and how many just hit the soft areas like the belly or legs or beak and will allow it to die slowly............................

Yeah well done (especially for posting on a public website !) :no: