Emperor of Exmoor - Countryfile.

Frenchieboy

I've just watched this weeks Countryfile where John Craven was talking about the Emperor of Exmoor. The program seemed to be "fairly" balanced (Still a bit "anti" but not as bad as could have been expected) They might have been better if they had interviewed someone from the BASC rather than just a professional stalker and used the phrase "Trophy Hunters" a little less.

Douglas Batchelor from L.A.C.S. seemed to be a bit out of his depth and showed a bit of a totally biased side as well as a complete lack of understanding about deer management (Only to be expected) by saying that bullets were cheaper than fencing!

One of the things that really jumped out at me was the "Professional Photographer" (Richard Austin) who they interviewed - I was led to believe that Johnny Kingdom took the much used photo of "The Emperor" (I could be wrong) but according to Richard Austin it was him that took the photo! Who the heck did take the photo and if it was in fact Richard Austin (Which in fact I am inclined to believe it was as I personally don't believe that Johnny Kingdom is capable of taking a photo that good)then why was Johnny Kingdon trying to take credit for the photo and seen selling it on the market? Has Johnny Kingdom been caught out again?

For those of you that are interested here is the link - "The Emperor" section can be found to start at round about 6:10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wcdzq/Countryfile_21_11_2010/

I watched jc interview with a man who was dressed in camo with a rifle (why)he was not out stalking/did not shoot,so this was only to show the public what sort of person is out there with rifles to add weight to the guys comments,the guy could hardly communicate and just had to answer yes or no to questions,ie did not or could not enlarge.

If I was general public,i would still be confused about this deer as john craven had all the facts in his report but lacked the punch in any statement that is now needed to clear the bad image now cast on all those wearing camo shooters.

Johnny kingdom is just making a pound out of a chance to good to pass up,publicity in any form is good and he has just made the best of it as you or i would do,and just as the photographer who took the pic and named the deer 'emperor' has done.

Weak and feeble factural report,another goal to the antis or should i say own goal.

It has all been said about JK already, self publicist IMO

But he has never said he took the picture.

No problem - I did say in my original post that I was led to believe that JK had taken the photo but I could be wrong. Obviously I was wrong and happy to admit it!

As for "Johnny kingdom is just making a pound out of a chance to good to pass up," it's a shame that he could not make a pound by being more honest and spend less time changing his story every time he was interviewed. It is through him that most of this bull **** came up about "The Emperor" and it is now through him that shooting has been showed in an even poorer light than it was before! Idiots like him want hanging up by the test icles (If he has any) as they do our sport no good whatsoever with their bulls**t and sensationalism!

I thought the BBC broadcast yet another disgraceful effort. Full of 'anti' agenda and slant and the careful editing of the vox pop section suited their editorial stance. Craven is as investigative as Kevin Turvey (for those of a similar age and comedic persuasion!)

I emailed BASC and this is Simon's reply today;

Dear Birdy,

BASC went to great lengths to arrange an outing with Countryfile on this story, only to have our arranged stalk and spokesman dropped by the programme at the last minute. I have viewed the item on Countryfile, and John Craven's constant reference to trophy hunting was both misleading and unnecessary. However, he is in the business of sensationalising countryside matters to fit in with his new "investigative" role on the programme. I will be contacting Countryfile to make a complaint, but within the strict guidelines of the BBC the programme will pass as "balanced" because they did give airtime to important facts - the number of deer culled annually, the need for culling and management plans, the need for stalkers to prove their accuracy before going out with a guide, the fact that venison is sold and finally that only "a tiny proportion of the deer culled are taken for trophies". This last was mentioned at the end of the piece. Had it been at the beginning there would have been no story for Mr. Craven to investigate.

Simon Clarke

Head of Press Relations

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation,

I live very close to where the Emperor was shot and for the record, I just want to clarify, it wasn't me. :blush:

All joking aside, stag's that size are two-a-penny around here so I'm surprised there hasn't been an 'Emperor Lives' story yet, perhaps there's one in the pipeline.

As for Mr Kingdom, he may come across to some as a bit of a pain in the behind but in the grand scheme of things he does a good thing through his TV programmes. If he gets just one fat, couch potato kid up off the sofa and away from the Xbox and out into the countryside looking for badgers/foxes/birds then that can only be a good thing.

Hanks

(I'll now batten down the hatches in anticipation of a dozen PW hob-nailed boot style replies calling me a Johnny-Lover and a Gaytard Kingdom-kisser).

I live very close to where the Emperor was shot and for the record, I just want to clarify, it wasn't me. :blush:

All joking aside, stag's that size are two-a-penny around here so I'm surprised there hasn't been an 'Emperor Lives' story yet, perhaps there's one in the pipeline.

Seems to be almost as many people who live near to the site as know people who were in the Iranian Embassy siege [joke]

I would just like to say i don't live any where where it was shot, but I have spent a fair amount of time down that way over the years, I would agree that although huge it look uniquely massive - and doesn't Suffolk claim to have the biggest heads when it come to reds?

It must be like being in possession of famously nicked goods - what the hell do you do with the head now after all this fuss?

If you were a taxidermist in the UK would you touch it?

No good for me as my stairwell isn't wide enough for a rack like that, I will have to stick to muntjac and roe :(

Frenchie, all you have to be careful of is when you make your videos and post them on you tube that you don't sound too much like Johnny Kingdom as its a little spooky at the moment :oops:

Bl**dy hell, my secret and my true identity is out at last! Oh well, it's just as well that I have booked some elleqution elecution ellecoosion how to talk properly lessons!

Just watched the vid online, as already stated - LACS spokeman was a fool and the adsence of any alternative veiwpoint (BASC spokesman for example) is a pretty poor show.

The biggest fallacy for me though was Craven matter of factly stating that Venison is sold for "around £2 per kilo" - whaaat! as if mate :rolleyes:

absolutely no evidence that this deer has been shot all hearsay

NO, NO, No, Not so Doc!!!!!!! JK (Thought to be me by some - See quote below) says that The Emperor is dead then it must be so!!!!

al4x, on 23 November 2010 - 01:17 PM, said:

Frenchie, all you have to be careful of is when you make your videos and post them on you tube that you don't sound too much like Johnny Kingdom as its a little spooky at the moment

The Emperor was DEFINITELY SHOT once (or was it twice or three times according to JK, depending on what media report you go by and whether the pub was open when JK made the report?) in a field (Or was it on the Moors, or posibly on Exeter Town's Football Pitch - JK isn't too sure of that one at the moment but he will definitely clarify that "fact" when he has had another glass of scrumpy?) So there you have it - "The Emperor" must be dead, he was shot by a "Trophy Hunter"!

Come on guys, think about it, would JK lie to you, especially on TV and in the National Press just for fame and notoriety (And of course payment)? Of course an local expert like him wouldnt lie to you!

There is no need for evidence of the death, just the fact that there has been a 200% increase in the sales of Cranberry Sauce on JK's market stall since the reports of "The Emperors" demise by a "Trophy Hinter" started coming in. Even John Craven has clearly stated that it was a "Trophy Hunter" who shot "The Emperor"! (JK backed up by JC, what more proof do you need?) Now if that's not enough proof for you that "The Emperor" has been shot by a "Trophy Hunter" then what is? The fact that no-one has accepted responsibility for the shooting of The Emperor should not give any reason to believe that The Emperor has not been shot by a "Trophy Hunter" exactly as JK has reported!

p.s. Can anyone tell me what a "Trophy Hunter" is, or is it just another "made up word" like "Yuppie" or "Chav" or "PW Forum Member" designed to cause fear and hatred in the minds of Joe Public? :lol::lol::good::good::lol::lol:

JK wants it to be dead so he can sell more 'emperor' photos for 20 quid a pop to the gullible public [allegedly] :yes:

For legal reasons I would like to clarify JK in this case is Johnny Kingdom not the the Jamiroquai front man.

I've got a spare photo of "The Emperor" mate, would you like to buy it?