Browning 325 grade 5 or 525 Prestige which one ?

cempa

This is going to start a big debate....im currently using a browning 525 grade 1....for clays only and shoot very well with it, but fancy a change and i really cant make up my mind if get a grade 5 325 or a used 525 Prestige....so im going to listen to the pros and cons...take it away guys ?

This is going to start a big debate....im currently using a browning 525 grade 1....for clays only and shoot very well with it, but fancy a change and i really cant make up my mind if get a grade 5 325 or a used 525 Prestige....so im going to listen to the pros and cons...take it away guys ?

Well the 325 and the 525 are totally different guns as far as i know, the 425 would be more like a 325. Had a 525 nice gun, used to use a 325 game gun when I was in my teens belonged to my uncle and loved it. Sorry not of much help!

As far as I know the difference are the 325 barrels are chopper lump and the 425 and 525 are mono-bloc other than that the differences are minor cosmetic things like action fences and weight and stock dimensions.

Also chamber lengths depending on model.

Have you been offered a grade 5 325? It just seems like your being quite specific about that particular model

If you shoot well with a 525 why not go for a higher grade 525?

you are bang on there dave...i have found a grade 5 325 at a great price....a friend mine as the 325 which i shoot as good as my 525 but i now want a a higher grade gun and the 525 prestige is quite a bit more money than the 325, so im strugling to make my mind up...

Dont forget a 325 will be knocking on 20 years old but they are bomb proof.

The trouble i had with mine was that the chambers rusted very quickly.

I have spoken to a few people who shoot Brownings and newer guns dont seem to suffer the same with rust

That was part of the reason i swapped my 325 for an MK70

well you no what im gonna say steve lol, you been looking at the new Prestige at Essex then?

only down side to the 325 against the 525 is the lack of chrome barrels but wouldnt let that worry you as you have seen how clean mine are, not a problem if you look after them and you no what we are both like about gun care.

325 has chopper lump barrels that are supposed to be stronger than mono's ones, the finish is better on the 325 grade 5 than the 525 especially the engraving, also the 325 has a nice wide rib that i find much better than the 525's rib.

what about a 525 Heritage now thats a nice gun..

yeah i know thats why im struggling on which one to go with..the 525 dont suffer from rust inside the barrels as they are chromed....but the 325 suppose to be a better all round gun...?...the mind boggles

I understand that some 325's are chromed. Look for a "C" stamped on the lump.

I've just part-ex'd my 525 today against a Benelli Supersport, really um'd and ar'd about getting a more bling 525 but in the end went for something completely different. Hope I won't be disappointed..........

fingers crossed...................... :good:

If the 325 is in good condition, is cheaper, has a higher quality finish and crucially if it fits then it sounds like the way to go. The only disadvantage I can think of is that the earlier gun isn't steel proofed (mine isn't). I expect the 525 is. I use my 325 for everything except wilfowling.

Is it possible to have a gun such as a 20 year old 325 (re)proofed for steel? I have been told that clay pigeon steel cartridges should provide no problems.

If the 325 is in good condition, is cheaper, has a higher quality finish and crucially if it fits then it sounds like the way to go. The only disadvantage I can think of is that the earlier gun isn't steel proofed (mine isn't). I expect the 525 is. I use my 325 for everything except wilfowling.

the 325 is nice but not the best 325 i have seen...the 525 prestige is more money but a lot prettier.....its looking like im leaning to the 525 prestige... :sly:

Dont forget a 325 will be knocking on 20 years old but they are bomb proof.

The trouble i had with mine was that the chambers rusted very quickly.

I have spoken to a few people who shoot Brownings and newer guns dont seem to suffer the same with rust

That was part of the reason i swapped my 325 for an MK70

The chambers on my 325 rust overnight shocking not sure of the grade how do you know what grade it is.

Cheers OTH

Have you ruled out a B425? I picked up the Grade 6 B425 which hadn't done any work and was as tight as a drum. It caught my eye because it had a straight through grain. It was poly coated though :rolleyes: I had it stripped professionally and have been oiling and waxing ever since. :good: I suppose the photo is a year or more old and it now looks a treat.I think i'd oiled it maybe 3-4 times before the picture was taken.

Having owned Browning Miroku's the B425 has a difference feel balance to the B325 and B525 and the one in the picture is the one I like the best in this respect.

I hope you make the right choice.

Cheers all,

Wensum_B425.jpg

Edited by Whitebridges

Have you ruled out a B425? I picked up the Grade 6 B425 which hadn't done any work and was as tight as a drum. It caught my eye because it had a straight through grain. It was poly coated though :rolleyes: I had it stripped professionally and have been oiling and waxing ever since. :good: I suppose the photo is a year or more old and it know looks a treat.I think i'd oiled it maybe 3-4 times before the picture was taken.

Having owned Browning Miroku's the B425 has a difference feel balance to the B325 and B525 and the one in the picture is the one I like the best in this respect.

I hope you make the right choice.

Cheers all,

Wensum_B425.jpg

thats a great looking gun you have....to be honest i have not ruled out a high grade 425 but ones i have seen have been fixed choke and i do want a multi choke,but if i see a good high grade 425 with m/c i would be interested