After Market rifle stocks

NorfolkPoacher

Hi guys and girls, im just after personal feedback from owners of aftermarket rifle stocks, preferably for a Remington 700, AICS, Macmillan, Bell and Carlson. do they really improve noticable accuracy or are they just expensive cosmetic upgrades?? i have a HS precision composite stock on my Rem 700 LVSF as a factory feature, i really fancy a tactical stock but dont fancy wasting 400-800 quid! cheers. Dave

Hi Dave,

A properly pillar bedded Mcmillan may improve your accuracy slightly over your HS Precision but also may not, however what it will do is improve the consistancy of your shots.

It wont be noticable immediately but in the long run you will notice the improvement.

If you want to increase the accuracy of your rifle get it re-barrelled with a good custom barrel.

Ian.

thanks ian and fister for your in depth info. tbh i shoot pretty good (for me)! with my current set up so will be in no mad rush to custom my rifle. but i will certainly factor in the bedding of the new stock. i will admit 50% of the new stock will be for cosmetics and the other 50% to helpfully assist me fluted barrel. cheers again atb dave

Dave

I believe the 700 LVSF stock has pilars fited but has two pressure points molded into the stock at the end of the forend thus stopping it from being completly free floating.

My question is what sort of groups are you getting and have you removed the pressure points.

hi charlie, no i havent removed the pressure points, to be honest my knowledge of stocks and suchlike is limited. from a basic bench with sand bags and after a first shot bulls eye! my groups are wel within an inch at 150 yards, i am yet to test my groups at 300 yards, but after having my trigger adjusted would like to see what i am capable of at that distance and eventully hit my target of good groups at 500 yards. thanks for your help, atb dave

Edited by davecrowdy

i would just stick with what you have. nothing wrong with the h&s stock if you want that bedded hen have it done i dont think its really worth it. i would go with what ian said though. if your going to spend that much money then spend it on a custom barrel your see more difference for your dosh there

so the reasoning is just to make it look tactical? if so then go for it if that floats your boat otherwise get out there and use it. My guessing a few simple things will improve its shooting if you need to which by the sounds of it you don't for normal shooting

I replaced the tupperware stock on my SPS with a HS Precision stock from the LTR Remington. It did improve the accuracy, but how much is hard to quantify since it was also bedded at the same time. I seriously doubt a McMillan, B&C or AICS stock will offer any improvement over a what you have now. However I would have it bedded properly. You could probably recoup some of the outlay by selling your existing stock, but honestly it will be mainly a cosmetic gain.

my win 70 came with a b&c stock as o/e, not the best quality, my finger nail found a bubble just under the surface of the forend about 10mm long and nearly as deep, the aluminium bedding block isn't all that either.give credit where credit is due browning international sorted it out within the week with an upgrade, feels nice to shoot tho, much prefer this rifle to the tikkas and remmis.

I agree with the above comments. The stock on the LVSF is far superior to most factory stocks and you will only see improvement, be it slight, from a Mc or Robertson and suchlike and they would require bedding.

Unless you want to change the stock for asthetics my advice would be to upgrade the trigger and have your existing stock bedded. A good trigger will give you the the most improvement for your buck followed by a bedding job.

I have to disagree. With a fully adjustable stock you can really minimize muscle-tension and you only have to concentrate on the target and your trigger technique.

Why do all the long-range snipers have fully adjustable stocks?

I started with a standard SPS: 1.5 MOA

Replaced the stock by a free floating Boyds' thumb-hole: 1 MOA

Adjusted the standard trigger myself (X Pro) to 800 grams: < 1 MOA

Waiting for the B&C A5 tactical stock: ?? (< .75 MOA I hope)

All the above with standard re-loaders, no expensive Lapua etc. (Privi fire-formed brass, 168 grn Privi HPBT, Federal 210 primer and 42 grn N150) Still have to find the best speed (300 mtr) and determine the "sweet spot".

I love the gun, it's inexpensive and with a little effort en some €, you can customize it to your needs. Out of the box it's a hunting gun, but it has a lot of potential.

For the future maybe a Jewell trigger and a better scope....... :santa: please!

BTW: the above is for LR target-shooting and not for hunting.

Edited by RB_1969

Hi guys and girls, im just after personal feedback from owners of aftermarket rifle stocks, preferably for a Remington 700, AICS, Macmillan, Bell and Carlson. do they really improve noticable accuracy or are they just expensive cosmetic upgrades?? i have a HS precision composite stock on my Rem 700 LVSF as a factory feature, i really fancy a tactical stock but dont fancy wasting 400-800 quid! cheers. Dave

The best accuraccy can be achieved by synthetically bedding your HS, the std Ali block will not totally conform to your action and lug. Fitting a Carson adjustable cheek piece is also worthwhile. Fitting any other stock is ulikely to improve groups only feel, fit and looks. Acuraccy is limited more by the std factory Remmington barrel and action, blueprint the action and change the tube and stock for a Mac? - then you would be better off buying a full custom gun and selling the Remmi

I agree with the above comments. The stock on the LVSF is far superior to most factory stocks and you will only see improvement, be it slight, from a Mc or Robertson and suchlike and they would require bedding.

Unless you want to change the stock for asthetics my advice would be to upgrade the trigger and have your existing stock bedded. A good trigger will give you the the most improvement for your buck followed by a bedding job.

hi i would really appreciate if someone can give me the email for robertson as the link i have does not work. thank you

ronsugar