Navara MPG?

adam f

The missus is looking to change her car, and Ive suggested a 4x4 (alterior motive? me?!!)

She likes the Navara, and somehting around 55 plate would be in budget - looking at a 2.5L

Her main concern is MPG as she will be using for a 2 hour commute each day. Anyone on here advise what they get from theirs?

Also - general running costs etc? Are these likey to be hugely more than somehting more 'sensible' like a Golf etc??

Thanks

Adam

on a 2 hour drive I'd say it may be prohibitively expensive, work on the basis of 30mpg with your calculations and anything better will be a bonus. The plus points are they are better in this weather and do tend to be reliable with high road mileages, if you chop and change right depreciation on them can be pretty good. I bought a 60K 2005 L200 recently for 6K and if I ran it for 40K I'd probably still get 4.5K back on it and I'd guess a navara would be similar but more expensive to start with. They are a big vehicle if she is used to a golf and totally excessive for commuting but if you use at weekends with dogs and go shooting etc then they are ideal.

It would be excessive, as she drives an Alfa 147 diesel at the moment which does her fine, but she's always moaning about the lack of boot room in it. Plus we do tend to get the worst of the weather out here.

The commute is about 50 mins each way (about 30 miles) and that is only for another 12 months as she is then planning to work more local part time and be at home with the kids - so then mileage will just be school runs and around town.

More research required I think - but they do seem alot of car for the money?

A mate at work has the auto box version and gets 18 mpg on diesel! My experience of 4x4's are that they cost you a lot more than a standard car.

For example I used to run a 4x4 getting 30mpg roughly and did about 9000 miles a year. Road tax was £300 a year and insurance £600.

I have since changed to a diesel Octavia, 55 mpg, £300 a year insurance and £120 road tax. I also save about £800 a year on fuel.

Also factor in the higher cost of tyres and often the shorter service intervals.

A mate at work has the auto box version and gets 18 mpg on diesel! My experience of 4x4's are that they cost you a lot more than a standard car.

For example I used to run a 4x4 getting 30mpg roughly and did about 9000 miles a year. Road tax was £300 a year and insurance £600.

I have since changed to a diesel Octavia, 55 mpg, £300 a year insurance and £120 road tax. I also save about £800 a year on fuel.

Also factor in the higher cost of tyres and often the shorter service intervals.

I have a Toyota Hilux MK5 Invincible. Previously I owned a very reliable and economical Golf GT TDi so I was a bit reluctant to change over....but I've never regretted it. The fact that I acquired a moorland shoot and I needed to get around was the clincher. ;-) The Hilux gets 28-30MPG all-round which includes plenty of off-road, traffic and some town driving! I dare say it would return 35 on a run. I'd never go back now as I feel it will take me anywhere I need to go and best of all I feel close to shooting every time I get into it. :-D

Early pathfinder. I have an 05 plate sve and it is great.

Average 33 mpg and have had upto 38 on a long run keeping it at 65mph. Think this is down to it running in rwd unless it senses 4x4 is needed, or unless you set it to full time 4x4.

Cheap road tax. Because of it's age, it has been capped at band k.

K*

201-225

£245.00

£134.75

L

226-255

£425.00

£233.75

M

Over 255

£435.00

£239.25

* Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006

Also much better rear visibility as you have a clear view out the rear window unlike a navara with a canopy on the back.

Cheers

Stu

Oh and it also does this!!

pathy.jpg

Edited by stuey

The missus is looking to change her car, and Ive suggested a 4x4 (alterior motive? me?!!)

She likes the Navara, and somehting around 55 plate would be in budget - looking at a 2.5L

Her main concern is MPG as she will be using for a 2 hour commute each day. Anyone on here advise what they get from theirs?

Also - general running costs etc? Are these likey to be hugely more than somehting more 'sensible' like a Golf etc??

Thanks

Adam

Better of considering the Nissan Xtrail 2.2 diesel if you want a dual purpose vehicle.. same build reliability, great to drive and extremely capable off road.

None of the Navaras on our fleet return more than about 26 throughout the year..

• 3 weeks later...

If she has a 2 hour commute it will cost you a fortune to run on diesel.

My work navara averages 30 mpg .

my fabia estate gets up to 70mpg but averages around 58mpg and only £30 road tax.

I would say let her get a car and you can spend the rest on a suzuki jeep for

playing with.

You could easily run both for the same price as the running of the navara.