featherd game with a rifle right or wrong

johnny

What satisfaction did you get in this? I actually cant believe you done this! Could you not have went to the shop for Sundays dinner?

Could you honestly tell me you get as much enjoyment shooting a pheasnat with a air rifle as you do, out hunting with your dog and shotgun?

Why dont you just go up the pheasant pen before dark and shoot all the pheasants roosting in the trees? Not sporting but at least you could feed yourself for a few days :sly::sly: As youd say!

Get over yourself, I don't know why people make all this fuss about a so called sporting shot on a pheasant but if it's a faster more intelligent bird like a wood pigeon you wouldn't have got all Daily Mail reader.

Consider this, that Pheasant died instantly without any indication that the shot was coming, is it more sporting to drive them in a panic out of the woods into a waiting line of guns. Shoot for whatever reason you like but leave it at that... your reason.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot for whatever reason you like but leave it at that... your reason.

I agree with that with the caveat - but don't try to convince anyone, especially yourself, that it's only for the pot. Different quarry present different challenges - it could be whether you're standing in a line, hunkered behind a camo net, lying in a marsh, or tramping around behind a daft spaniel. Different shooting, different challenges. But it's all FUN.

And to try to steer back to the original topic - I wouldn't get much FUN out of shooting a pheasant with a rifle, even if it was as some kind of pest control issue.

I'm somewhat amused by the thread.

while Ive never shot at pheasants or grouse with gun or rifle, my experience of woodies and and magpies with my weihrauch in my early teens suggested that you needed incredibly good fieldcraft to get the bird to settle close enough for you to have a shot with an air rifle . At longer ranges than air rifle the requirement to get the shot placement on a randomly moving target surely still provides sport.

my father incidently used to recon the best tool he had for pheasant was his crossbow- being 140lbs draw weight it would silently dispatch the odd pheasant(with quite a degree of overkill) that appeared on his land, without his gun's report souring his relationship with the gamekeeper of the nearby shoot.

do you roost shoot them at night as well colster?

No, that would be illegal. I take the occasional (probably one or two a year) in the garden and eat them.

I agree with that with the caveat - but don't try to convince anyone, especially yourself, that it's only for the pot.

I wasn't trying to, I do shoot mainly for the pot but I don't deny I enjoy shooting. I don't consider it a sport but that's just semantics really.

You've lost me there :hmm:

The Woodpigeon is the most common pest/vermin bird in this country, and is by far a more 'sporting' bird than any Pheasant.

I don't understand why you feel it's more humane to shoot a Pigeon with a rifle and not a Pheasant? It certainly isn't easier.

You seem to be of the opinion that game birds are somehow 'better' than Pigeons? Well if it's sporting birds you're after you'll have to look hard to beat the humble Woodpigeon or wild duck. I don't think hand reared pheasant come close.

(This isn't an attempt to start any arguements :good:).

How do you decide that a pigeon is more sporting than a pheasant? You get easy/hard pigeons and pheasants?

I dont mind shooting vermin birds with a rifle as Its way easier and more humane than using a shotgun in my opinion!

bit contradicting there, tell me, whats the difference between a game bird and a vermin pest bird, do they have different internal organs or something :hmm:

you have admitted its more humane than a shotty, yet slate others off for using a rifle on game birds, Im sorry, can you explain as I dont understand the logic behind the statement

bit contradicting there, tell me, whats the difference between a game bird and a vermin pest bird, do they have different internal organs or something :hmm:

you have admitted its more humane than a shotty, yet slate others off for using a rifle on game birds, Im sorry, can you explain as I dont understand the logic behind the statement

I made this statement because obviously its much more important to control the number of vermin(magpies, crow, greycrow) than it is to shoot game birds.

Game birds are shot for sport and anybody who uses an air-rifle as there weapon for this sport is wrong in my opininon.

Shooting vermin is not meant to be a sport so using a rifle is much easier and quicker way of controlling them in my opinion!

Too respond to your question directly whats the difference between a game bird and a vermin pest bird, Game birds are shot for sport pigeons are shot for pest control!

Get over yourself, I don't know why people make all this fuss about a so called sporting shot on a pheasant but if it's a faster more intelligent bird like a wood pigeon you wouldn't have got all Daily Mail reader.

Consider this, that Pheasant died instantly without any indication that the shot was coming, is it more sporting to drive them in a panic out of the woods into a waiting line of guns. Shoot for whatever reason you like but leave it at that... your reason.

I don't know why people make all this fuss about a so called sporting shot on a pheasant

Maybe because pheasants are reared and shot for sport? People dont spend thousands on rearing pheasants just so people can go out and unsportingly dispose of them with a rifle as if they were vermin.

is it more sporting to drive them in a panic out of the woods into a waiting line of guns.

I personally never have or will attend a driven shoot. I only shoot pheasants when out rough shooting!

Very interesting thread, makes good reading, the only thing that I would have to ask of the sporting shooters is, if it's a challenging sporting shot that's about to be taken, where there's more chance of the bird getting away, then surely there's also more chance of wounding it too? Surely if a head shot with a rifle is being taken, which has already been said is not easy as it's a mobile target, then the bird has either been missed or is dead. I'm not sure which of the two I would consider more sporting. Obviously this is greatly over simplified and we could go on for hours about the finer details of both shots, but it's a point I think is worth considering.

The term pest control makes me laugh. People shoot because they enjoy it. Spending £1000's on guns and equipment and pimping out their 4x4's because they feel they must control pests for the good of society? Don't think so.

Dazza, don't get confused or mixed up here, I accept what you say but I also run my own Game and Vermin Control company, and I'm a consultant for a National Pest Control Company.

There are parts of my work that bore me to death and parts I find pretty rewarding.

From a shooting etc point of view all the land I have has problems, most of which is pretty much under control, but it's still Pest Control! :good:

There is a lot of inexperience being banded about here, I shoot many a Pheasant on the ground with a rifle, a few Partridge and lots of Geese for Pest Control reasons.

I also occasionally go on Pheasant Shoots with a shotgun, they are different things, and on the whole bore me!

Game birds get shot for pest control and with a rifle, by me and many others.

Lets stop all this rubbish about being sporting, giving them a chance, etc etc, if I'm out shooting at anything, for any reason, I want every advantage I can get, and I will take it, I'm not in the business of giving any quarry a chance, if I pull the trigger I want whatever is in the sights stopped! :good:

If you have problems and want to give the bird a chance then stop shooting, you have far more chance of pricking and injuring a bird with a shotgun than a rifle, just what is sporting about that!

Edited by Dekers

dekers what do you find game birds do to be a pest?

cheers john

Assortedly, "Game Birds", eat repair seed at my Golf Courses and football grounds(centre circle and goal mouths especially), **** all over the place at several Golf courses and farms and stables etc and cause H&S issues not only with us but other animals, they eat feed destined for the farmed free range Chickens, Geese and Ducks on my farms, etc, etc!

:good:

(Again no arguments intended :lol:).

Very interesting thread, makes good reading, the only thing that I would have to ask of the sporting shooters is, if it's a challenging sporting shot that's about to be taken, where there's more chance of the bird getting away, then surely there's also more chance of wounding it too? Surely if a head shot with a rifle is being taken, which has already been said is not easy as it's a mobile target, then the bird has either been missed or is dead. I'm not sure which of the two I would consider more sporting. Obviously this is greatly over simplified and we could go on for hours about the finer details of both shots, but it's a point I think is worth considering.

What if you clipped its beak with a rifle? Think that would take it off and the bird would get away :hmm:

Assortedly, "Game Birds", eat repair seed at my Golf Courses and football grounds(centre circle and goal mouths especially), **** all over the place at several Golf courses and farms and stables etc and cause H&S issues not only with us but other animals, they eat feed destined for the farmed free range Chickens, Geese and Ducks on my farms, etc, etc! :good:

Surely that would make most bird species a pest?

ATB :good:

What if you clipped its beak with a rifle? Think that would take it off and the bird would get away :hmm:

I don't take head shots for vermin control with low powered tools, I take body mass shots with powerful enough to stop, this isn't "sport" in any way shape or form, I have no desire to give it a chance or injure it, it is going to get stopped by whatever I have to do!

Surely that would make most bird species a pest?

Yep..... they are/can be, I shoot all sorts of birds in all sorts of situations, including many on the shop floor of Supermarkets (never shot a "Game" bird in a supermarket yet, but I have several pigeon, and you often find them in "Game Pie"), but little or nothing ****s like a goose, Canadas in particular!

Edited by Dekers

Can't really see the point in rifling pheasants and the pest control issue to me is nonsense can't remember ever seeing a 'flock of pheasants' decimating crops :lol:

Oh Dear!

Chap, each to their own and that's fine, you can do as you please, but there are many more ways of gaining Pest status than eating a crop.

I have no desire to take this thread off on a tangent but I also shoot Deer commonly for Pest Control purposes wheras many have no concept of this notion!

Perhaps this is down to the simple fact of daily business or when the sun comes out fun shooter! :hmm::good:

ATB!

Agreed, it would. Like I said earlier we could debate the 'what ifs' for hours, what I was trying to suggest was as Dekers put more bluntly than I was prepared to that in my inexperienced opinion there is more chance generally of pricking and wounding a bird with a shotgun than with an hmr, for example. Though I was prepared to stand corrected, hence the reason for asking the question. :good:

Agreed, it would. Like I said earlier we could debate the 'what ifs' for hours, what I was trying to suggest was as Dekers put more bluntly than I was prepared to that in my inexperienced opinion there is more chance generally of pricking and wounding a bird with a shotgun than with an hmr, for example. Though I was prepared to stand corrected, hence the reason for asking the question. :good:

Oh dear, perhaps a fault/trait of mine, strange as it may seem I don't go out of my way to be blunt (well not always anyway) it's just the way it comes over sometimes.

Perhaps an opportunity to apologize if that's the way I come over sometimes, it's not intended generally, and many know me personally here so know the reality!

ATB! :D:D:D:good: