Price increase for FAC

Dougy

Good points Kent.FEO's should(and most of them do)stick to the law,and not offer advice based on the Chirf Officers or licensings interpretation of what they would like the law to be.We should not forget(nor should they) that they are there to provide a service and nothing more.The majority of Chiefs of Police and licensing staff do a very good job in what must be a very complicated task at times,but we should not be shy of challenging some advice or decisions if we consider them to be wrong or mistaken.

So the cost will go up? Does it matter? At the moment I am paying £12 a year to carry out a hobby that I love doing.

Even if they double it, it won't be an issue to me. Shooting to me is far more than cost. If I took the cost into account I wouldn't do it.

That's all well and good for you MC, look at the gun in your signature... S06 EELL? You're clearly not on the minimum wage are you?!

I do agree though it could go up a bit. £50 for five years is nothing, even a fishing license costs more than that and what admin goes in to the issue of those? I'd be happy to pay double and think that would be perfectly fair.

Edited by njc110381

If you were a target shooter you automatically get an open ticket. I can use any of my target rifles on ANY approved range I want as long as the range is approved for that firearm.

So it's not an open ticket then is it, numpty. :oops:

You can only use it on approved ranges. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's all well and good for you MC, look at the gun in your signature... S06 EELL? You're clearly not on the minimum wage are you?!

I do agree though it could go up a bit. £50 for five years is nothing, even a fishing license costs more than that and what admin goes in to the issue of those? I'd be happy to pay double and think that would be perfectly fair.

the cost of your FAC/SGC is nothing compared to the admin involved, if the price were to be increased the dept dealing with the issue/renewel/variations may be better funded and we all recieve a better service.

As for not using enough ammo, surely if amount used is relevent to having FAC anyone who hadnt done much for what ever reason, financial or too busy could find enough cash or time to buy a box or two twice a year and shoot them at a tree stump just to use them or throw them in a pond even, the licencing authority wont come look in your freezer and count the haunches or rabbits. anyay if youve got a FAC and havent used the guns in years do you really have a need for them

mikee

the main problem with the use it or loose it mentality is if I go out huning then I will only shoot a round if there is legitimate target, ie rabbit, hare, pigeon etc and also that target is in a position where there is a safe back stop, if those two are not in place then no ammo will be used and quite often I have gone to the farm and come back after a few hours after not firing a round. So therefor I have used the rifle although maybe not used any ammo. So how are they going to legitamily going to tell if somebody uses a firarm or not, unless it only conditioned for target shooting, even then when you consider reloading well there is another argument

Two big issues with all this;

1) Many target (paper & clay) shooters buy and use ammo at the range. Therefore they do not turn over ammo on their ticket. Therefore on-ticket ammo usage is not a viable gauge of use and would be legally unenforceable. Home loading is not tracked whatsoever and usage cannot be tracked.

2) Certificate admin price increases are inevitable and most would welcome them as a fair action. However, how are we to know we are getting value for money with efficient and effective officers? Also what if penal pricing were introduced to effect a policy change by the back door?

Just a slight interjection, but how many of you with large caliber cf's, on renewal, have had your ammo usage checked?

I, after several renewals, I have never been checked, or even the old certificate looked at for purchases. Is this another regional "thing", or HAVE you been actually checked on usage?

Whether dealers records are cross checked with owners, I do not know !

Dave

Reason for edit

Just noticed Coolheads post. For home loading, except for target bullets(non expanding, which can be ordered by post), purchased bullets(ie, expanding) SHOULD be entered on your certificate.

Edited by wy111

Just noticed Coolheads post. For home loading, except for target bullets(non expanding, which can be ordered by post), purchased bullets(ie, expanding) SHOULD be entered on your certificate.

Thanks wy111, I should have been more clear on that. I was referring only to target and shot reloaders as they turn over many, many times the quantities of hunters with expanders.

ATM Suffolk are giving me no such issues.

I've had them round for the sec1 shotguns and there still is no problem with me having current 5 possible 7

firearms and still not yet owning one-I just told them I had RFD bring some rifles for a test got to have a go

and couldn't afford to buy OR didn't like the rifle(s)

As for ammo just brought it from the club house.

And if they do put the price up I would like to see where possible a faster service.

You ought to learn to read before you start calling people names, ********

Oh we are being touchy. hangover? :rolleyes::oops:

Considering what you wrote I stand by my post. Open ticket for target shooting? What's that all about?

Edited by DaveK

Read the post again and you might understand, but then I won't hold out much hope. You do seem fairly thick at times.

I said not open in the usual sense but from the outset a target shooter can use a rifle at ANY approved range. Which means his/her rifle is not tied to one piece of land.

But then I wouldn't expect you to understand

Read the post again and you might understand, but then I won't hold out much hope. You do seem fairly thick at times.

I said not open in the usual sense but from the outset a target shooter can use a rifle at ANY approved range. Which means his/her rifle is not tied to one piece of land.

But then I wouldn't expect you to understand

dont worry mc,those of us who do both target and live quarry find it hard to translate to folk who just do one of the two discipline,as for all this use it or loose it,well i can tell you all here that avon and somerset have had this policy in use for years,people get round it by turning up once a year and shooting said firearms, which is the stiplulated minimum,........................these people worry me. at the end of the day i cant see any of us shooting in 20 years time.

Edited by the running man