help

matt spencer

hi can annyboddy help me .ive had a uk licence for 3 years and do alot of fox controll the gun is a sako quad lr i use sringer and velociter cci this year ive taken about 20 fox of the shoot.the only thing is no matter how good the shot is sometimes the fox runs .how long do i haveto wait till i can upgrade to a bigger call th humainly dispatch fox thanks

hi can annyboddy help me .ive had a uk licence for 3 years and do alot of fox controll the gun is a sako quad lr i use sringer and velociter cci this year ive taken about 20 fox of the shoot.the only thing is no matter how good the shot is sometimes the fox runs .how long do i haveto wait till i can upgrade to a bigger call th humainly dispatch fox thanks

If you have a need , get it now.

reading this bit,

"ive had a uk licence for 3 years and do alot of fox controll "

you should have put in for a CF from the start

Personally I wouldn't use .22lr or .17hmr on fox,even though both will do the job and is legal.I quite like foxes,and don't like to think of them limping away to die in agony,so when a landowner asks us to get rid,then it's a job for the centre-fires as far as I'm concerned.Just my personal preference,others will have theirs.

If you've had a FAC for 3 years I would be applying for a centre-fire asap....if there are foxes about then it would seem you have 'good reason'.

Edited by Scully

ive never heard of any police force that allows .22lr for fox shooting. you should have applied for a 22cf, or .17hmr if its ok for fox where you are.

It's on mine matey.

I must admit I was being a bit sarcastic, but who with any decency towards their quarry would use a .22 on a fox?

I have used mine to good effect at close range. Hit the right spot it's down. Nothing to do with decency at all.

Shall I change "decency" to respect then?

No need. All the decency and respect that's needed is respect for the fox as intelligent quarry and the decency to kill it humanely. A .22rf at close range is perfectly adequate for the job. Dead is dead. The fox isn't a calibre snob, it'll die equally well.

Nothing to do with respect either.

A .22rf is more than capable of humanely killing a fox at sensible ranges and I suspect that more foxes have been shot with one than any other caliber. i know that over the past 50 years I have shot more foxes with a .22rf then a cf. Just keep the range sensible.

However to answer the OP's question, yes you will be granted one .

No need. All the decency and respect that's needed is respect for the fox as intelligent quarry and the decency to kill it humanely. A .22rf at close range is perfectly adequate for the job. Dead is dead. The fox isn't a calibre snob, it'll die equally well.

Very well said DaveK,

It's a pity that the first poster does not respect animals like you do.

If he were to purchase a larger calibre rifle the fox might still crawl away wounded.

Very well said DaveK,

It's a pity that the first poster does not respect animals like you do.

If he were to purchase a larger calibre rifle the fox might still crawl away wounded.

Don't be so harsh on the guy. Anyone who says they've never had runners and means it is a very lucky chappie. As for the OP, he's had a FAC for 3 years and done pretty well with it on charlies. Maybe he hasn't got anyone on his shoot to put him right on what ammo to use in a .22rf. That's why he's asking about going up in calibre.

Matt, for close up foxes try Winchester subs or any hollow point subs for that matter. I think maybe using high powered rounds you're getting through and through and that's why the runners. Hollow point subs will expand and do a better job. For ranges over 50-70 yards you're definitely better with a .22cf from Hornet upwards.

ok that was not what i expected . first things first i never take a shot if i think their is a chance of maiming only to kill . i use velociter cci whitch out at 1435 fps 9 out of ten get it done . i totaly respect this animal and only asked advise so that the one percent that i hit and dont kill are made less .sorry if the poast upset peaple

Me.

110Ft/Lbs of power in a subsonic to the head is a more than capable tool.

we will have to disagree on that the head is not even the target the brain is, i am not being padantic here not only placement but angle of penetration needs comsideration. Heck i know plenty meet thier end at the wrong end of a .22 rf - it just aint the right tool to carry intentionally for the job and thats the real issue at hand. with the possible exeption at short range "execution" type shots it just aint fair to carry one on this job and for many firearms licencing depts .22 rf and foxes are a total no go. We generally use rifles with somewhat exess power to compensate for errors that occur in the field, not marginal guns to prove our prowess

We generally use rifles with somewhat exess power to compensate for errors that occur in the field, not marginal guns to prove our prowess

I don't think anyone said anything about prowess. And what's this about excess power? Is there such a thing? There's as much chance, if not more, of getting it wrong with a .308 at 200 yards as there is with a rimmy at 50. I refer you to 3 words I said earlier. DEAD IS DEAD. You'll bring overkill into it next.

I wouldn't call a.22rf a marginal gun, for christs sake it's a favourite weapon of close range assassins. Are you calling them wrong?

we will have to disagree on that the head is not even the target the brain is, i am not being padantic here not only placement but angle of penetration needs comsideration.

...and at what point do people have to state 'brainshot' to state that it's not a pot shot anywhere above the neck?!

You are being pedantic if you're saying I should be going for the brain. Of course I'm going to go for the brain - I'm hardly planning on taking out that painful tooth the fox has been suffering with for months. :rolleyes:

Oh dear, here we go again, for those that have never heard of a force allowing rimfire for fox I currently have 3 rimfire all approved.

For those that suggest it is not the tool, open your eyes, I shoot in lots of conditions, situations, environments, and commonly the .22lr IS the tool of choice.

For anyone who has a fox problem and has been allowed a Rimfire to do the job and always gets runners, you are using the wrong tool for the environment or you need to learn to shoot!

You will notice the urban environment...and the bowl of dog food which addresses a baiting issue in another thread..... you will perhaps also notice the CZ .22lr...oh yes, and 3 deceased fox. :good:

post-20848-0-29703200-1293150979.jpg