Beretta Ultralight

triscrx

I only do the odd 100 clays on a day. Otherwise it will be used for rough shooting and decoying pigeons. Are they likely to hold their price in the future with a strong secondhand value like the other berettas? If I buy one new I will keep it for some years and would like to get a decent price for it when selling it on.

For 100 clays I have/would use 21g.

Not sure I would like to use it regularly decoying though. A day of shooting 32/30g pigeon carts is going to end with a sore shoulder.

I suspect they will hold value as well as any other Berretta, plus they are less common.Mine is probably worth as much if not more than I paid for it, although thats more down to the euro exchange rate than anything else

After a 100 clays through it you will know that you have put the 100 cartridges through it if using 28G ones. I felt it after putting a few though it. I don't know enough about the ultra light and its second hand value in the future. I have seen it committed that as it is so light it is not one of the more popular beretta's, I was looking at one earlier and ended up with a silver pigeon game gun as it suited my needs better.

In my opinion the ultra light is good if you are out all day, but not going to shoot 100's of cartridges.

I usually use 28g cartridges and if the kick is going to be an issue I don't want to drop to 21g to suit. I think I need to try one and see how it feels. I love the finish and general feel for the price. with VAT going up soon want to make a decision sooner rather than later

I usually use 28g cartridges and if the kick is going to be an issue I don't want to drop to 21g to suit. I think I need to try one and see how it feels. I love the finish and general feel for the price. with VAT going up soon want to make a decision sooner rather than later

Don't dismiss lighter cartridges, I've been using 24gram ones recently and they are a pleasure to use. They pattern really well and seem to kill clays as well as the 28's ever did.

A friend bought a new Ultralight last year and it did seem a bit bumpy on the clays, he soon sold it.

I bought a 6 1/2lb Beretta 391 Urika Light at the same time and it is truly a fantastic gun that soaks up recoil but not suitable for organised shoots cos it is an auto. You can use it or carry it all day with ease though and of all my guns it is the keeper :good:

I had a 391 Urika for a while and loved that. very good for rough shooting but at the clay ground being a semi they don't like it. That's what led me to get the 682 Gold E and following that the 686E. Just dont like not having a shotgun at the moment the cabinet is looking a bit empty with just the rimmies in there.

I had a 391 Urika for a while and loved that. very good for rough shooting but at the clay ground being a semi they don't like it. That's what led me to get the 682 Gold E and following that the 686E. Just dont like not having a shotgun at the moment the cabinet is looking a bit empty with just the rimmies in there.

Autos are very popular at the ground where I shoot, I have a sling on mine and throw it over my shoulder between stands so safety or silly orange flags aren't an issue. I never ever really notice the recoil from this Urika Light regardless of what I put thru it. Had my first ever ducks with it this morning :D

Don't dismiss lighter cartridges, I've been using 24gram ones recently and they are a pleasure to use. They pattern really well and seem to kill clays as well as the 28's ever did.

Have to agree with sitsinhedges on carridge choice, I like many others were using 28G cartridges, I have now (or will do once I have used all my 28G's up) switched to Hull comp X 21G a brilliant cartridge and even my semi cycles them. Think the only time I will move up from the Hull 21G is if the semi can't cycle them after a full days shoot of 250 cartridges. I still hit the cays just as well if not a touch better with the lower recoil.

Edited by BerettaSV10

The ultralight is the best of the light 12 bores out there. I had one and it was a cracker, I have since moved on to 20bores which will kill anything apart from geese. I would buy a Beretta 20bore 687 for rough shooting as they are light and have a slim forestock and I feel they are miles ahead of the ultralight but then I shouldnt make a comparison as one is a 12bore and the other a 20bore. The ultralight can feel muzzle heavy to carry due to the ergal action been so light. There is a fixed choke version of the ultralight that would balance better but the bottom barell is rifled with a open choke for woodcock shooting and I think is only available in 26inch.

Other options are Benelli woodcock 12 bore very light gun with 24inch barells I'm getting a 20bore version, class!

Winchester 101 xtr fixed choke, very light gun absolute cracker very sorry I sold mine, for me love the straight stock versions choked 1/4 and 1/2.

Edited by kermitpwee

The Ulralight is an awesome O/U and I loved mine - I sold mine to my best shooting mate - bewteen us we have owned it for 12+ years- It is a superb driven or walked up day gun.

As mentioned if you use it with loads more that 1-1/4 oz you will know about it - use it with 1oz loads (and less) and you can shoot it and carry it all day. If you are sensitive to recoil then you may want a heavier gun. Dont worry about it being an alloy action, that gun has fired in excess of 10k runds and is still tighter than a Scotsman.... (sos fellas only kidding!)

I only sold mine as I have gone to and stayed with 20g (if Bertta made an ultralight in 20g I'd have it in a flash) but if I needed a 12g again it would be one of these.

Had a look at one today and Im very pleased with the finish and general feel. Matey in the shop said it is ideal for rough shooting and the odd clay day but if shooting 2-300 cartridges it will hurt. Love the woodwork. £1550 it was up for (28'' barrels multichoke) just going to shop about now for the best deal. New VAT rates on 4th January so its a race

Yet more mixed feedback today from another RFD. I mentioned the main use would be rough shooting and the occasional 100 Clays and they said oh no.. These are no good for clay shooting! I think the reason I'm really drawn to them is the Gold Decor and finish to it for the ££. They also had a Secondhand Ultralight Deluxe for £995 with Multi-chokes. Few marks here and there but for the price it seems very reasonable.

Also alot cheaper than the previous RFD I visited to view one. £1350 for the entry level Ultralight today new. :unsure:

A friend has the ultra light delux and bought it second hand in as new condition, the wood work on it is amazing. At the end of the day he bought for a specific job which is to be able to carry it around all day in the field, but not fire hundreds of cartrdges at clays with it. For clays he has a sporter shotgun.

The price does appear to be a good price, but without seeing the gun, knowing its age, what the wood is like and what use its had its hard to put a price on it. For comparisions in prices its worth checking the guntrader websites.

I think this is one gun that does get mixed reviews for both shops and forums when asked about it.

Yes I'm beginning to get the idea this is a 'Marmite' situation. Been reading up that the Kick-eeze pads do reduce the additional kick quite considerably as well. Sadly I find the other Beretta's for the same sort of ££ lack the looks that make the Ultralight stand head and shoulders above them. All the other Silver Pigeons and similar models I have looked at at the £1k-£1500 mark are quite plain and generally boring.

I know performance is the main aim but when parting with that sort of £ it would be nice of Beretta to make it nicer to look at. When out rough shooting on a good day I will prob only fire 50 Cartridges and as I mentioned maybe once every 2-3 months I have a 100 clay pigeon practice shoot.

Trouble I find is everyone has their own opinion as with cars so when going for one its best to go with what feels right and fits the budget. Shouldering the Ultralight felt right and like something I could work with. And ref the decor it ticks the boxes. Just have to wait and see what happens now. Shooting one would help out alot with deciding I think. Anyone in the Plymouth / Cornwall areas own one that wouldn't mind meeting up?

Tris.