trajectory and distance

im sure this will depend on many many variables and all im after is a ball park figure

today in perfect conditions i had the chance of a pheasant which i can best descride as a perfect DTL bird which i left due to the fact it was flying towards a road say 150 yards away

how far would my 30g of 6 shot travel on this kind of trajectory and what force would it hit the ground at.

thanks

im sure this will depend on many many variables and all im after is a ball park figure

today in perfect conditions i had the chance of a pheasant which i can best descride as a perfect DTL bird which i left due to the fact it was flying towards a road say 150 yards away

how far would my 30g of 6 shot travel on this kind of trajectory and what force would it hit the ground at.

thanks

Hi,

ABOUT 225 yds.

A good rule of thumb empirical answer is, 1500 divided by cube root of N where N is the number of pellets/oz. This is valid for all of the commonly used game shot sizes.

Striking force is dependent upon muzzle velocity (but not as much as you'd think), pellet weight and ballistic coefficient. The first 2 are easily found and for your N0. 6, the BC is 0.00955. Not feeling too clever at the moment (can't seem to concentrate - shingles) but no doubt someone will run the figures through a ballistic programme for you just out of interest.

Cheers

I thought the maximum distance for shot to travel was worked out by multiplying the shot size x 100metres so a no6 at 2.6mm would travel 260 metres if it was shot at an optimal angle of 30degrees.,

I would think that the low angle you mention it would be far less.

I find it interesting how the sheep and cattle in the field immediately in front of the DTL and Skeet stands at Kibworth never seem bothered by the hundreds of shots that enter their field even though they feed closely sometimes. Maybe this shows how quickly it loses its momentum in reality.

Comprehensive live testing was carried out by Prof Allsop of Cranfield Uni and Shrivenham ranges in 2004. This was commissioned by the CPSA to test the existing 300yd (275m) zome required in front of shooting at CPSA grounds.

Results were:

Optimum angle for max travel = 24 degrees

No 6 average distance 205m still conditions

Windage could add as much as 50m side drift or carry ( hence the CPSA 275m exclusion zone )

It was also noted that size of load, viz 24g / 28g / 32g made no measurable difference to range

Wad type made no measurable difference to range

Pellet size did have a significant effect, each pellet no increasing range about 5m - ie, 9s went 190m, 8s 195, 7s 200m - nothing heavier than the max 6 was used for clayshoots was tested but it would be reasonable to extrapolate those results as 5s will go 210m, 4s 215 etc.

BASC reports on patterning and distance 2006 indicated that ballistic efficiency of shot to kill is maintained out to 60 yds in a linear drop from 100% at 30yd to 50% at 50yds and retained to about 6oyds after which kill ability is negligible.

So, on a still day at optimum angle a shot load no 6 is going to hit the ground at 205m, it does so in a near vertical drop, ie the "raining shot" beaters experience and has only the downward velocity imparted by gravity - pretty harmless unless you lie on the ground with your mouth open. BASC and other reports would indicate the sufficient inertia for skin penetration is lost after 55m with a no 6 - a bit further with heavier loads - so stock in a field at 100yds are probably not in the least bothered by the occasional pellet sting, but beware the doggy walker who is rained on in front of your shooting, as far as they are covered I've Been Shot is the panic cry to the Police and expect an armed response unit visit with all the hassles that go with that.

So, if shooting, use the 275m rule as your safeguard against fallout complaint. If you are a beater - well with decent clothing, hat on and glasses to protect the eyes, you might be rained on but you'll not be wounded at distances a lot closer than that.

Hi,

On the other hand they could have saved the membership a bucket of money and had a quick glance at Burrard. To be fair though in today's world CPSA probably do need some more current research to fight off the 'elf and safety mob in the event of a hic-cup as the ultimate resposibility could be shown to be their's in the event of an accident at an Association sponsord shoot.

Cheers