Homemade lofting poles

tomaddy525

When shooting on my land I often get pigeons going into trees on other parts of the field. I am thinking that lofted deeks in the trees would work a treat. I have looked at loftting poles on the net and they look very expensive. I cant help thinking that I would be able to make some myself. Does anybody have any ideas on materials / how to make them? Any photos would be grate. Many thanks. 525.

When shooting on my land I often get pigeons going into trees on other parts of the field. I am thinking that lofted deeks in the trees would work a treat. I have looked at loftting poles on the net and they look very expensive. I cant help thinking that I would be able to make some myself. Does anybody have any ideas on materials / how to make them? Any photos would be grate. Many thanks. 525.

Funny you should mention this mate,have a look in the craft and diy section :yes: i made a set of poles and hooks last year,they extend to about 30ft not that high but sufficient to get deeks lofted so they can be seen :yes: i used a telescopic pole from a window cleaning set,with an extension pole,and the pigeons/crows look spot on :good: tried them with the crows a day or two back,but the mist was low :yes: going out again tomorrow so if its clear will give them a go :good: and let you know how i get on :good: BB

Do a search in the craft and diy section(type in lofting poles)and this will bring up half a dozen posts on the subject

Edited by Bluebarrels

I made a set earlier this year, used an old gazebo that we were throwing away, the poles are inter connecting, have around 8 sections x 4ft long each one, used mainly for lofting a large owl decoy up the tree, fixed one pole inside the decoy and secured with expanding foam, does the job really well :good:

Image0114.jpg

Image0108.jpg

they come to mob it and drive it away.

so would they do this in the trees so it could be used as roost shooting or would they generally come to just fly round it so to speak. And if i wanted a plastic owl would it have to be life size or over sized :hmm: i am going to try this hey you learn something every day

so would they do this in the trees so it could be used as roost shooting or would they generally come to just fly round it so to speak. And if i wanted a plastic owl would it have to be life size or over sized :hmm: i am going to try this hey you learn something every day

they will mob them if they are sitting in a field / tree or flying. i guess u can only get the size they they are made at.

When I want to put a couple of lofters up, I use some fishing line and a lead weight.

Tie the weight to the line, chuck it up the tree over a high branch or use a catapult, grab weight on the ground,take off weight and tie a full bodied pigeon to the end and pull up into tree.

It doesn't seem to make any difference that the pigeon is hanging below the branch but it looks nicer if you can haul it up or lower it so that it appears to be roosting on another branch.

Used that method for years and it works.

Thanks everyone.

I have looked at some tent poles and found them too bendy. Does anybody know where I can find some of these telescopic window cleaning poles. 525.

B&Q sells them, or a janitor cleaning supplies shop, look in your local yellow pages

Just searching online for lofting poles and came across this thread, there's lucky :rolleyes:

With regards to corvids mobbing, we have about 8 magpies which live in the area, we've watched them mobbing the sparrow hawks which were picking off redwings and blackbirds feeding on all the berry's, even though they don't yet have nests they still do it. The crows and rooks also join in if in the area. But they also do this if they see any cats in the area, though for some reason they ignore our dogs, which have come close to catching one or two of them, but that's getting off thread a bit. I've heard (but not tried) they'll mob just about any predator, James Marchington used a tethered ferret once in a magazine article many years ago, I think this has since been outlawed (using an animal as live bait - not sure if it's true?). I've even heard they'll mob a teddy bear, it's something to do with the forward facing eyes. Not tried that yet either, but once I get my lofting pole who knows....

I was looking for a set to try some drey bashing, something I've wanted to try for ages. I've heard that gently nudging the drey with the poles will cause any squirrels in bed to pop out for a look, which may give an airgunner the chance of a shot, or give it a sharper prod to get it running towards a waiting shotgunner?

But they are a bit on the pricey side, will hunt a window cleaner set out, and hope the wife doesn't give me a job :blink:

i have got a set oi ex military tent poles about 1.2mtrs each- aluminium, i then added some of those clips to let them lock into place ;

have a look at this thread as well - cheap fix to the problem of the decoys breaking if they fall

;http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/86832-lofting-decoys-breaking/page__p__742524__hl__lofting__fromsearch__1#entry742524