rotary,is it worth it

Tiff

Ok,im not looking for recomendations on which rotary and i know they are no substitute for good field craft.so all that aside do rotarys bring in the birds?at the mo i have no movement in my pattern just static shells on wobbly pegs.

So should i take the plunge and fork out the cash?I would be wnating good results though

Ok,im not looking for recomendations on which rotary and i know they are no substitute for good field craft.so all that aside do rotarys bring in the birds?at the mo i have no movement in my pattern just static shells on wobbly pegs.

So should i take the plunge and fork out the cash?I would be wnating good results though

Make one........

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/TheEssexHunter/rotary/

Not so much cash laid out, and a good bit of kit in you colection.

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

I have done a fair bit of shooting with a mate who has one and I did not. When we have been in different fields and I was under a flight line, I had bigger bags but when he was near a flight line he had bigger bags.

However, when we have not been under any flight line, he has had more visits to his pattern than me because of the magnet. Also, when we have been in the same large field but at opposite ends, he again had bigger bags because he had that all important movement (all I could see from accross the field was his rotary).

I know my fieldcraft is good (loads of years in the military) and I keep so still when on my own that I have had field mice visit my hide. So in my experience, the movement created by the rotary gave him the advantage.

I have just bought one, so now the gloves are off! :P:lol:

i have a rotary but i have had better results when not using it <_< i am not sure whether they are usefull or not but many members say they are now outdated, on the other hand some members wont leave home without one. i know for a fact that they are putting birds off in my area as i have tried every conceivable patern and best results have allways been shells and floaters for me. may be best if you could borrow one to try :good: kev

in a word yes :good:

I would be wnating good results though

no one on this earth can give you that type of gurantee

the main point is, if you have one, and the pigeons on that certain day are shying away, you can pack it back in the hide

if you dont own one, you cant

not every shooting day, needs every bit of equipment you have, different days= different equipment

handy if you can drive right upto the spot your shooting, as if your walking long distances, thats a reason for leaving at home

I use a magnet most of the time. sometimes i have to move it around the pattern as sometime they will land next to the magnet and other times they will fly close but not to it so by putting the magnet on the outer most edge of the pattern with a deep U of birds can be whats needed.

i have tried a few differant magnets and even mad 3 but in the end i went for the lightest dead bird type i could find.

I have done a fair bit of shooting with a mate who has one and I did not. When we have been in different fields and I was under a flight line, I had bigger bags but when he was near a flight line he had bigger bags.

However, when we have not been under any flight line, he has had more visits to his pattern than me because of the magnet. Also, when we have been in the same large field but at opposite ends, he again had bigger bags because he had that all important movement (all I could see from accross the field was his rotary).

I know my fieldcraft is good (loads of years in the military) and I keep so still when on my own that I have had field mice visit my hide. So in my experience, the movement created by the rotary gave him the advantage.

I have just bought one, so now the gloves are off! :P:lol:

i would put it down to pure skill by the one with the magnet. have you thought that he might have used you as a bird scarer in order to put the birds the other way and over to his pattern.

or it could just have been he's a better shot and is dropping more birds

or it could be something so simple like he is better at drawing the birds in.

i would have a guess and say it sounds like he knew what he was doing.lmao.

Phil.

In my honest experiance pigeon shooting is a lot like fishing.

one day it will work and the next day it will not. having a pigeon magnet/rotary is another tool in your box. but if that tool is not there you do not have the option to use it.

but it works two ways if the pigeons are not liking my pigeon magnet then some times I will take the two arms off my magnet and use them as floaters. if that don't work i take them in as well.

if you can afford one buy 1. you will love it some days and wish you had saved the money others.

each day is differant but if you dont have one you can not try it.

Make your own mind up :good:

Good luck buddy :good:

Kipper :good:

Edited by kipper

I've had days when i've shot 100+ with a magnet and sure i could've shot the same without it. Other days, however, i know that without it i would not have got close to 100. I think they certainly come into their own on crops like rape stubble, but have shot big bags on peas, bean and wheat stubble and growing rape etc.

BUY ONE!

I've had good days both with and without the rotary.

If you can get under a well used flightline then i'd say leave it at home as its just another bit of kit to carry.Provided you put out a convincing pattern and you're concealed the birds should come in.However,sometimes you just cant get near a flightline (cattle,footpaths or roads perhaps) and rotarys are excellent for dragging them over to you.

i would put it down to pure skill by the one with the magnet. have you thought that he might have used you as a bird scarer in order to put the birds the other way and over to his pattern.

or it could just have been he's a better shot and is dropping more birds

or it could be something so simple like he is better at drawing the birds in.

i would have a guess and say it sounds like he knew what he was doing.lmao.

Phil.

I am the best bird scarer around so that makes sense. I bow down to your... I mean his expertise. :lol:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

i bought one as i wasnt getting much entertainment from pigeons on a certain field where we go. i paid 89.99 it is a lightweight magnet which is height adjustable and so are the arms it also came with a battery, two foam flying pigeons and free carrying bag. iv had good results with it. id rather have one than not, at least its there if you ever need it.

splash the cash and dont look back.

hope you're right, just bought both :blink: magnet and flapper deal from UKSW, cant wait for deivery so I can have a play :good: :good:

Fuzrat

Two excellent bits of kit, remember one thing though, knowing where to place them is more important than having them!

First thing is to learn the various placements for these according to your decoy set up. Once mastered you must then watch the birds reactions to these as you would any decoy pattern, and adjust accordingly. Having to take them down or not get them out the truck on some days does not mean either is not a good tool.

Cos

Two excellent bits of kit, remember one thing though, knowing where to place them is more important than having them!

First thing is to learn the various placements for these according to your decoy set up. Once mastered you must then watch the birds reactions to these as you would any decoy pattern, and adjust accordingly. Having to take them down or not get them out the truck on some days does not mean either is not a good tool.

Cos

Top advice :yes::good: