..how not to shoot..

adi1210

went out 2pm yesterday down to the wood for a bit of sport on the pigeons coming home to roost, got tucked in behind some cut fir trees. first pigeon came over and was taken cleanly with first shot. 30 sec later no.2 bird in the bag ,same again for the next 5 shots.

i was well happy at this stage with 100% record so far. :D

next shot was a long crosser which i hit hard but it didnt fall, that was it then, i had another 60 shots "YES 60" and only picked 19 of them. :angry: to say i was getting ****** off was an understatment, then i found out what i was doing wrong, i was lifting my head off the stock for some reason. prob got too confident and wanted to watch the birds fold up.. i corrected my shooting and bagged another 6 just before dark in as many shots.

the thing is ive waited all year for a good roost shoot, and when i go i shoot like a plank. :/

total bag 32 :good:

total shots 73 :/

I went through this on the clays a few months back, hitting most of the more difficult targets then missing the easy ones. Went back to basics and had another lesson with the club coach - result same as you i was lifting my head as i shot the easier targets because i was already looking for the next clay.

as said unless they were easy birds that kill ratio is pretty reasonable, certainly on a driven day it takes a very good team to get below 3 to 1 decoying is a little different as you can have a day on them at close range. As for the too much rifle shooting its either that or not enough shotgun shooting :lol: