Furthest confirmed kill and equipment used

NorfolkPoacher

Hi guys and girls, I was out foxing the other night and managed to bag my longest range confirmed kill that i felt was humane and that my abilities and equipment could cope with, it was a 294 yard chest shot. Im just curious as to other peoples experiences and equipment used to accomplish your furthest humane kill, im not interseted in Barry Bull S**TS 704 yard hare!! so if you could tell me what quarry, rifle, ammo, scope and lamp/NV it would be interesting.

I was using a remington 700 vlsf in .243 shooting factory 58gr hornady balistic tips, looking through a Nikko Sterling Night Eater 6x24x56 scope, for stability i used a harris bipod, and on the lamp front a lightforce Striker. I personally felt that much beyond this range is too far for my optic/lamp combo and possibly my abilities. cheers guys, Dave

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as you say its about as far as you can go at night, I would say my longest is about 250. Quarry id is the biggest issue at that sort of range.

Yeah defo would agree mate, I forgot to mention that i tracked and watched this lampshy charlie for over an hour and it was at this point the safe shot presented its self, the wind eased and i could clearly tell it was defo a fox and not a badger or cat, i have though about upgrading to a S&B scope in the hope to see more clearly at 300 yards?? .

you will do with any of the decent scopes, but they don't come cheap if you want a decent variable mag one. That said they are worth the money

yeah i think a scope investment is due soon! a lot of boys use 8x56 S&B but i cant see how thats enough to identify night time quarry at 300yards?, one story tellin friend or Bull S**tter informed me of using his 8x56 on a .243 to shoot a fox at 502 yards at night with 1" hold over!!! cant say he had me convinced. Considering a 33" drop from a 200yard zero at that range :hmm: .

the 8x56 is a cracking scope but at 200 yards under the lamp you have a very small target and really its getting lucky at that range. Daylight its fine but much better suited to sub 200 yards and stalking. I've recently swapped one for a 6-24x50 swaro and really there is no comparison

the 8x56 is a cracking scope but at 200 yards under the lamp you have a very small target and really its getting lucky at that range. Daylight its fine but much better suited to sub 200 yards and stalking. I've recently swapped one for a 6-24x50 swaro and really there is no comparison

nice one, yeah i havent decided yet but would prefere to spend more on a variable then find a cheaper 8x56 and feel it holds me back. i think 8x56 is popular because its one of the cheapest premier scopes, so would your preferes be swaro over s&B, Zeiss etc etc?

You'd be lucky to even see the fox behind the crosshairs on a 8x56 at that range.

I know a local foxer, who is not a BS'r who has taken a good few foxes (like maybe 7 or 8) from 250-300 with his 243/S&B 8x56. I wouldn't be able to though, I need more mag than that- I think 16x would be plenty. You're right about the crosshairs, after 180yards with my 6x42 schmidt, you're aiming at the fox rather than at a part of the fox. :blush:

Hi the furthest i have shot is 314 yards a big dog fox,i did miss it with the first shot to much hold over but the silly sod stayed round for the second, i shoot a .243 with 100 grain bullets i have a leupold vx3 6 14 x 50 mm and i practice alot mine is zeroed at 150 yards, oh i did miss a fox at about 55 60 yards the other night whoops was free hand though if thats rreally an excuse.

Hi the furthest i have shot is 314 yards a big dog fox,i did miss it with the first shot to much hold over but the silly sod stayed round for the second, i shoot a .243 with 100 grain bullets i have a leupold vx3 6 14 x 50 mm and i practice alot mine is zeroed at 150 yards, oh i did miss a fox at about 55 60 yards the other night whoops was free hand though if thats rreally an excuse.

Niceone 314 is a bloody good shot, I know what you mean about hold over but with my 58 gr and 200 yard zero I'm only dropping 4" at 300. So prety much aim staigh at him! Haha dnt mention misses, I had a bit of premature ajaculation on a fox last wk! Was not impressed with my lightened trigger pull from rfd!!

I use a 10x42 Schmidt with very fine crosshairs and have shot foxes out to 300yds at night with this scope on three different rifles. No bull...t this scope has seen the end of over 2500 foxes. The fine crosshairs can be hard to find sometimes and the red filter has to be taken off the lamp to get a good view of Charlie greater than 250yds but I have so much confidence in this scope. I don't make a point of long shots at night and they are usually only taken as a last resort.

I've also shot a lot further during daylight with other scopes such as a Leupold boosted by Premier to 20-50X magnification. This scope is useless at night as the field of view makes it difficult to track the target if it moves a few paces. By the way I'm a regular 1000yd competitor and satisfy my long range lusting with paper targets and clay pigeons placed on the backstop.

The Americans are well into long range varminting and Kreg Slack killed a prairie dog at 3,125 yards or 1.78 miles. He and Bruce Artus used to shoot at a 16" steel gong at that distance and a prairie dog popped up and sat just by it.

The articles were in the July 1998 Tactical Shooter magazine, Sept 2000 issue of Precision Shooting magazine and are featured in the book Precision Shooting At 1000 Yards.

Edited by Treestalker

Really happy with my leup i have the varmit reticule but to be honest it sits 90 percent of the time on 8x mag just the very odd long range shot that i take i crank it up, stalking wise its always at 8x. It is a very good scope for the money and there is no diffrence between mine and my mates swaro up until dark but hey my steiner binos are the same against his swaros!

The longest for my HMR (although sadly it wasn't me pulling the trigger) was a crow at 172yards. It's difficult to rangefind accurately at that distance when you're laying prone as it's too easy for the rangefinder to hit a clod of earth or grass on the way to the target so when I walked to the crow I got my mate to stand up so while stood over the crow, I could rangefind back to him.

CZ452 Silhouette 20" with (at the time) a Hawke Endurance 30IR 3-9x42 (on 6x), SAK Moderator and Harris Bipod shooting 17gn V-Max

My longest fox is 394 yards, as measured on google earth. This was using my remi 7oo vssf in 22-250, with federal premium 55g. it carries a Nightforce 8-24 x56 and we use a 240 blitz lamp.

We tend to take most of our foxes at range, say 200-300 yards. The reason we do it this way is we dont end up with lamp shy foxes, most of the foxes we shoot dont evn know we are there, we are far enough away that I can sit watching them through the scope until I have a safe shot that I am happy with and I can talk to my mate on the lamp while we are waiting.

I cant believe the difference the gear makes, if somebody told me I would regularly be shooting 300 yard foxes at night I wouldn't of believed them.

Sounds like good shooting mate. I usually try and call them to 200 or less but on ocasion stretch to near 300. I def have to upgrade my glass with my current scope past 300 is guess work, take last night for example spotted some fox like eyes at about 350 but couldn't determine it. Drove 100 yards closer and down he went head shot! Lucky for me he was only call shy not lamp shy. With better glass it could have helped earlier on.

Hiya,

Longest shot is a 265 yard Fox with the .222 and a 50 grain V-MAX, most satisfying shot was a Magpie at 115 yards with the same setup on Sunday... it sorta just exploded into lots of bits :)

haha niceone I bet it was only fit for a feather duster after! Good work with 222 I'm guessin whilst out lamping?

Hiya,

haha niceone I bet it was only fit for a feather duster after!

I dont think it would have even done as that :)

Good work with 222 I'm guessin whilst out lamping?

yup it was, it was one of two that had come in that night I got the first at 80 yrds then the other one took off but stopped after a while to have a look.. big mistake :)

Hiya,

I dont think it would have even done as that :)

yup it was, it was one of two that had come in that night I

got the first at 80 yrds then the other one took off but

stopped after a while to have a look.. big mistake :)

nice work, I'm yet to get a double as such. I usually find my 2nd ones a field over or take a while to call or get a shot once they bolt off. Yesterday at my range I had jst fired my last available round and a fox popped up behind my target at 3pm!! I was a little p'd off!!!lol

294 yards with 6mm PPC on a fox. First fox with the rifle some 7 years ago. Since I have had several at 250 yards plus with both PPC and 20BR. Generally I want them closer and dead or left for another day and not educated. Occasionally you get one that wont stand so you have to take whats on offer providing its safe.

A