freak shooting occurences

tomhw100

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at least you were lucky enough to have a straight couple.

SS and I got approached by a gay guy one night for a bit of dogging! He'd failed to notice that fact we were in camo and carrying rifles!

I think you got mixed up mate. They did see you in camo and approached with confidence :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: some great stories there lads... What was the out come of the dogging Nick ? :lol:

no need mate..I can guess :lol::lol: chase me :lol:

one of my 1st pigeons..I was pleased to punch with the shot..the pigeon landed just over the brow of the hill..I unloaded and made my way over to retrive...just as i was getting to the Bird..a young fox ran out looked at me ..looked at the pigeon

picked up the pigoen and ran off..... :lol::lol::lol: There as me shouting..Ile have you one day

Ive had a buzzard do the same thing with a rabit, that was great to see

ive not been out much yet, but i have had an escaped large white boar wandering about. this scared me alot, it was snnuffling like mad and obviously could hardly see but it was like somthing out of a horror movie (peaking round corners and hunting me by scent :blush: )

also the first fox i shot was silver and black :good:

While pigeon shooting couple years back i shot a bird and half of it blew to pieces in a cloud of blood & guts.Seems it was a rare occurence called 'shotballing' where the propellant bypasses the wad and fuses the shot into one lead slug.Good job i was in the middle of nowhere cos i havent a clue how far it went!

That sounds like 'Whammy Shells - for when you really want to put a hole in something!

:lol:

I reckon my dad holds the record for the stupidest (near) accident with a firearm.

We were on an invite to a private clay shoot and I had my shotgun and my dad borrowed one from our next door neighbour. (He was the one who invited us)

The safety officer was full on anal about safety and gave me a full on interview about what I knew about guns etc... He failed to do the same to my dad - possibly because he's 6'4" and not really the sort of bloke you shout instructions at :lol:

Anyway, my dad was lent a shotgun with the clear advice that "The top ejector spring has gone. When you reload, just pull the cartridge out"

"Yeah, ok" My dad said

So the discipline was DTL and we all got lined up.

First six shots went off one by one, and dad got the hang of it straight away. Second six shots rang off and everyone reloaded. Next six started and finished, no problems.

Then on the next six, my dad's gun failed to fire. The safety officer was in full swing - gun up in the air, 30 seconds (he counted every one :lol: ) None of us realised he'd not replaced the empty cartridge...

The six were ordered again and when it came to dad's shot he got a *Click*

"The gun's not working" my dad shouted. Whilst saying this, he turned on the spot in a rushed effort to address the the crowd of twenty people behind him, holding a shotgun straight at them, from the hip, as if he was some sort of wild west shooter.

"GET THAT GUN DOWN" cried the safety officer. And all twenty people hit the deck :lol: :lol: :lol:

To put it simply, dad spent the rest of the morning in a really bad mood in the car.

Edited by Billy.

I reckon my dad holds the record for the stupidest (near) accident with a firearm.

We were on an invite to a private clay shoot and I had my shotgun and my dad borrowed one from our next door neighbour. (He was the one who invited us)

The safety officer was full on anal about safety and gave me a full on interview about what I knew about guns etc... He failed to do the same to my dad - possibly because he's 6'4" and not really the sort of bloke you shout instructions at :lol:

Anyway, my dad was lent a shotgun with the clear advice that "The top ejector spring has gone. When you reload, just pull the cartridge out"

"Yeah, ok" My dad said

So the discipline was DTL and we all got lined up.

First six shots went off one by one, and dad got the hang of it straight away. Second six shots rang off and everyone reloaded. Next six started and finished, no problems.

Then on the next six, my dad's gun failed to fire. The safety officer was in full swing - gun up in the air, 30 seconds (he counted every one :lol: ) None of us realised he'd not replaced the empty cartridge...

The six were ordered again and when it came to dad's shot he got a *Click*

"The gun's not working" my dad shouted. Whilst saying this, he turned on the spot in a rushed effort to address the the crowd of twenty people behind him, holding a shotgun straight at them, from the hip, as if he was some sort of wild west shooter.

"GET THAT GUN DOWN" cried the safety officer. And all twenty people hit the deck :lol: :lol: :lol:

To put it simply, dad spent the rest of the morning in a really bad mood in the car.

Absolute and pure-quality CLASS!

P M S L! These are times we don't forget :D

Was once shooting around some old barns with the .410 for the odd roosting feral pigeon. Then out of no where a woodie flew really low right at me and over my head i swung the gun through the bird, covered the bird then pulled the trigger. Bang, the pigeon carried on flying, no feathers or other indication of a hit what so ever! I watched the woodie fly for near on 30 yards before it perched on a tree. As i stalked up closer using the barn for cover for a closer shot the pigeon just dropped absolutely stone dead from the tree! Upon examining the bird only one no.6 shot hit the pigeon, right in the neck.......Guess it was that pigeons unlucky day. :blush:

Thinking about it, i feel quite sorry for that pigeon. Which is kind of strange when i feel no remorse from blasting them with the 12g!

What could it have been, nerves, adrenaline, suffocation? Maybe, but the way it carried on flying was like nothing had hit it....

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Not shooting related, but kind of outdoors-ish.

Myself and MM junior had driven to north wales for the weekend to drink some beer and do some fishing. October is bloody cold in wales, and that year was no different. We set up on the beach one morning and the waves were crashing down and it was a cold one. With that, two Orthidox Jews in full Jewish gear walk down to the beach, strip off, and dive into the water, right in front of us :huh: We just stood there and watched the naked jews. (not in a gay way, just shock) After about 30 mins, they got out, out their gowns back on, and walked off. :yp:

I once shot a pigeon that was falling with some speed that when it hit the steel bars around the barn it exploded.It was raining feathers everywhere all i found was a lump of feathers.Also a few years back me and my mate was chatting away with our guns empty in the boot and i had that feeling u get when u think your being watched so i turned around and there was a hare 10 yards behind just standing watching us :lol:.I knew i had no chance grabbing the gun so just shouted bang never seen a hair bolt so fast.Another time i had to go for a pee so off i went into the woodland and started to pee on a pheshant without knowing.God i **** my self when he got up and ran Feel sorry for the poor fella that had to eat that one :yes:

Edited by silverhawk

I took a mate shooting and i shot a squirrel that fell into the grass now he asked if he could go find it so he went over to pick it up and all i heard was a growl and my mate scream like a girl i had to watch a grown up man cry and go on about how he was going to die from rabies.It wasnt even a bad enougth cut on hes finger to cry about :lol:.

Edited by silverhawk

more puzzeling than anything while i was crow bashing i had shot some crows and as i do each dead bird replaces a plastic deek but each time i walked out to add another dead bird i noticed one of the dead birds its wing kept spreading out so i would go back and tuck it in again and again this happend so i thought i,ll watch it unbeknown to me there was a young stoat under the bird working on the crow :yes: i did put some pic's up of it about 2 years ago i was truely puzzeled for a short while .

Again not a shooting incident but it did involve my gundog. We were out for a walk along a local river where there used to be a water mill.The river divided to form an island in the middle with a small bridge.

On the island,in clear view,were a couple,stark naked,giving it grief. Naturally I stopped to look as you do but the dog had other ideas.I always sent him across to the island as a bit of training but this time he must have smelt the action as he was across the bridge and straight up to the coupling couple and proceeded to sniff the blokes bum!!

You have never seen anyone move so fast.The bloke leaped to his feet,meat and two veg swinging in the breeze but the lady just stayed where was,which was probably the smart thing to do. Presumably that was her usual reaction to her man's efforts!

I was helpless with laughter but managed to call the dog back,whereupon matey ran across the bridge,still starkers and was going to sort me out.That made matters worse and then he saw the funny side of it and went back to his lady who was still laying on the ground.

When I returned a half hour later they were still there,with clothes on,having a flask of coffee. I didn't get an invite,the miserable pair!!

Vic.

Edited by VicW

My lab managed to pin down a squizzer and had it on its back. I've never seen such agression from the little critters, but put it this way, the dog didn't want to bite for fear of his nose and the squizzer wasn't moving off its back once my dog unpinned it, as it was too concerned about temporarily losing sight of the dog.

So they both stayed in the same position, in suspended animation

Didn't even spot me approaching, until I grabbed it and dispatched it. :lol:

Several years ago, my dad and a few others were rough shooting when they had to cross a thick hedge. They all unloaded and helped each other scramble through when the last guy reloaded his gun and fired twice into the hedge. He then pulled out two foxes that had been lying there sound asleep in the sun!

i was out fox shoiting just before it was getting dark last year was in full ghillie suit and camo over my rifle, some one had heard me shooting and called the police i seen the helicopter flying around when i thought great, i was in a ditch looking across the field when to armed response officers walked past talking to the helicopter asking if they can see any one with a gun. so i got out of the bush and hello are you looking for me to see two armed officers jump out their skin was funny as even more so as they had walked past, luckly after a little talk they were happy in what i was doing i even let them have a go with my gun shame there would let me have a go with there guns

The oddest thing/ funny thing was about 7 years ago on a hare shoot ,we were walking across a big flat field and the keeper shot a hare and a few seconds later a french patridge fell out the sky stone dead that was a vey odd moment and the story will be used every hare day for years to come .

Seen some odd sights over the years makes the days more interesting :yes::good:

i was out fox shoiting just before it was getting dark last year was in full ghillie suit and camo over my rifle, some one had heard me shooting and called the police i seen the helicopter flying around when i thought great, i was in a ditch looking across the field when to armed response officers walked past talking to the helicopter asking if they can see any one with a gun. so i got out of the bush and hello are you looking for me to see two armed officers jump out their skin was funny as even more so as they had walked past, luckly after a little talk they were happy in what i was doing i even let them have a go with my gun shame there would let me have a go with there guns

No helicopters, but I had 2 cop cars/vans sent out to where I was shooting rabbits with the air rifle. I had to stand and call out to let them know where I was - they'd have been searching for hours otherwise :lol:

When I spoke to them I already had my written permission out and the rifle made safe and on my shoulder by its sling

The child-cop who got to me first said " .... so what are you doing, coursing rabbits? " :lol:

Townie coppers don't know ****! All was well though. :lol: