leg of venison

leadbreakfast

Hi

As the flavour of venison does not need any enhancement I just crush one clove of garlic rubbing over the meat I wrap the meat in tinfoil lightly oil the foil to avoid sticking splash of wine your choice salt for seasoning and put in preheated oven at 180c for 20 min per lbs plus 20 to 30 mins to finish you can uncover the meat for the last 10 mins if you want, once removed from the oven leave to rest.

enjoy! :good:

Alan

• 2 months later...

Bone it out and stuff it and tie back up ,and pot roast slowly or bone out,separate out the muscle groups and trim each one of the sinew and cut into medallions and you can rub with different herbs as required and flash fry,some times the medallions more convenient than a large joint :good:

Bone out,separate out the muscle groups and trim each one of the sinew and cut into medallions and you can rub with different herbs as required and flash fry,some times the medallions more convenient than a large joint :good:

That's what I do. Usually remove the two most tender muscles (can't remember their names!), slice them into individual steaks for frying, and then the rest gets cubed for a nice goulash. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

just seen this thread...

how easy is it to bone one out?

and what would i need?

shaun

two methods tunnel boneing and open boneing the letter is easer but the former is better looking, take the shank off at the nee,

then lay the leg with the outside on the table so the thigh side is faceing you run you knife down the inside of the leg bonebut only as deep as the bottom of the bone, then cut all the meat from aroud the bone so it is white, the leg should look unrolled if you will, but bone less, if you have the pelvick/chump bone in still then take that out first this is a tricky one if you dont know what your doing

to be honest i just make a simple roast from venison joints

i cook it as i would a leg of lamb...or joint of beef

maybe a splash of red wine and a clove or two of garlic and all the winter veg..

in my oppinion keep it simple and enjoy the flavor.. :good:

after watching a very good BDS DVD recently i've started splitting the haunch down into the individual muscles and removing all the sinew - you then get some lovely smaller joints which suit a smaller dinner very nicely

I like to leave Muntjac haunches whole on the bone, but larger ones break down really nicely.

There is a set of three videos on Youtube on Roe Deer Butchery, done by a butcher in the North of England somewhere, very useful at showing how to deal with a carcass.