Feeding Wild Birds

Ferret Master

Do you feed wild birds in your garden?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feed wild birds in your garden?

• Yes, all year round
    • No
    • In Winter
    • In Hard Weather

We feed the birds in the winter. This way they come back in the summer looking for food and deal with the snails.

Nice to see them too. Although a bloody great big rook landed in the garden the other day, I don't think the neighbours would've appreciated a hole in the fence though :rolleyes:

Hi,

We feed them all through the Winter and into Spring as if you stop feeding birds as soon as it warms up a bit they can starve as they have become quite dependant on you because there are not many natural food resources available in early Spring.

We put bread on the lawn all the time for the Starlings and Sparrows apart from late Summer when they are out in the fields but have seed and nuts in the bird feeders all year round. :rolleyes:

FM :)

I only feed in hard weather and then by broadcast - chucking the food around.

The trouble with bird feeders & bird baths is that they can help to transmit bird diseases really easily.

That Bill Oddy chap is more heart than brain.

Don't kill with kindness, if you're going to use a feeder, sterilise it with Miltons every time its empty. :ernyha:

Getting down off soapbox now :o

Living in the heart of Lincolnshire surrounded by farmland AND RATS its a little hard to put out fancy little bird feeders when all the little birdies do is spill it all over for the RATS to come out and eat all the left overs :o

Simple, get an air rifle and pop the rats off 1 by 1, should keep the rats away.

Ferrets and terries are good too. :ernyha:

Living in the heart of Lincolnshire surrounded by farmland AND RATS its a little hard to put out fancy little bird feeders when all the little birdies do is spill it all over for the RATS to come out and eat all the left overs :o

Simple, get an air rifle and pop the rats off 1 by 1, should keep the rats away.

Ferrets and terries are good too. :ernyha:

Missing out slipster, you get the free rat shooting with air rifle, stop and enjoy.

LB

Living in the heart of Lincolnshire surrounded by farmland AND RATS its a little hard to put out fancy little bird feeders when all the little birdies do is spill it all over for the RATS to come out and eat all the left overs :ernyha:

Ferrets and terries are good too. :D

I have no RAT problem, with 6 Jack Russells, 7 Air rifles, two pole cats and a Rottweiler called wife who is 5'9"

Its my neigbours who have the problem but cannot understand why cos its not RAT food its bird food they put out. :o

Thick ******** or maybe not cos they is fattening them scayley tails up for the table :<

Living in the heart of Lincolnshire surrounded by farmland AND RATS its a little hard to put out fancy little bird feeders when all the little birdies do is spill it all over for the RATS to come out and eat all the left overs :D

Ferrets and terries are good too. :D

I have no RAT problem, with 6 Jack Russells, 7 Air rifles, two pole cats and a Rottweiler called wife who is 5'9"

Its my neigbours who have the problem but cannot understand why cos its not RAT food its bird food they put out. :ernyha:

Thick ******** or maybe not cos they is fattening them scayley tails up for the table :<

***** :o

LB

What should they be fed. I am always worried about these mixes containing non indigious seeds that will grow like weeds in the gardens and hedgerows.

Cakie

Cakey id be more worried about wheels disease :o

And yes i know thats not how you spell it

We feed all year, as a result we've got a healthy stock of sparrows and get quite a few starlings as well. We don't get many of the rarer species and have tried all sorts of different grub, but to no avail. We do get the odd sparrowhawk coming over though, that ****s them up :o

P.

Well i don`t but the misses does. We also have a nest box in the rear garden, so far two years of Great tits breeding plus new for this year a sparrow box at the front will have to wait and see with this one, it can take a year for them to start useing it. But i think have food close at hand (beak!!) helps.

I don't as there are too many cats nearby so I don't want to tempt fate.

Believe it or not the more birds you attract your garden the less likely the cats will get them. Because there are more "lookouts" around they feel more comftable.

The wife has given up putting food on the lawn for them as the dog eats it.

Instead i put it in the hanging baskets, an idea suggested by my six year old girl when we couldn't work out the best way of feeding them ...... :o

Stuart, do they live near Kew?

P.

Near Staines (for there sins) and they are making there way over towards us now (the parakeets no my parents :o ) at first they are novel and then that incessant squawking really gets on your t*ts!!

And they drive everything else out of the garden, sooner they are 'on list' the better..