Which Shotgun for My 11 year old son?

Northumberland

At 12 my son had a double 410 which he outgrew by 13 and replaced with a little 20b which by 15 was replaced by a 30" 12b sporter! My advice would be to start with a 20b at least then you should get 3/4 years before upgrading to a 12b. Don't go to a twelve too early , he'll not handle it and loose interest.

Depends on his build and what he can handle that's fits him

You can get guns in 12, 20, 28 of similar weight, barrel length with m/c etc.

21g loads available in all gauges.... lighter loads available for the smaller bores, but consider sub-sonics for the 12.

Maybe a session with a good coach where he can try the various guns and start rite?? ...

How do you future proof kids?

I had a bolt action .410 when I was small and loved it, made me aim well due to the smaller load but to be honest I was more interested in sneaking up on birds in the woods the the size of the shot, question though, why would you grow out of a 20bore? I used one at the weekend and at 6'2" and 15 stone I love the smaller caliber gun to the point where I am looking to get one.

Both my sons learnt with an old Investarm 20 bore. I cut the stock down really short and hacksawed the barrels off to just over 24" before retapping the bead sight. I also added a kick eze cheek piece to bring the comb height up and soften the blow.

With all cartridges it shot amazing patterns and with 21g loads they were using it from the age of 6!

I only paid £80 for the gun and eventually gave it away to a friend for his son to learn on. With it's 3" chambers my sons shot everything from snipe to canada geese with it.

Incidentally my sons are now 14 and 16 and use a synthetic 20 bore Hatsan for pigeons and clays and a 20 bore Browning Medallist for formal driven days.

All about how big he is and confident he is with a shotgun my 10 year old had lessons on a 28,and now has a 20g with the stock fitted,can shoot 12g but at 10 can shoot around happily but 12 would knock him around to much,get him some lessons a good coach will give you impartial advice to what will suit best :good:

All about how big he is and confident he is with a shotgun my 10 year old had lessons on a 28,and now has a 20g with the stock fitted,can shoot 12g but at 10 can shoot around happily but 12 would knock him around to much,get him some lessons a good coach will give you impartial advice to what will suit best :good:

My girls started with goes with my 12 bore and 21gm loads but the youngest who is the keenest is getting a 20 bore for her birthday! I settled on the hatsan youth which has 24 " barrels and an adjustable stock to get the fit right.

The 12 bore was just to heavy for her really

Edited by utectok

Consider going straight for a light/slim 12 bore. If a boy/woman/girl takes up the sport they most often graduate to a 12g anyway. Get some lessons, get the mount right, and get him to develop some good habits from Day One.

Hull Comp X cartridges are fine and the 21 gm have very kind recoil (in fact so do the 28s for that matter), so you might afford to let him use a lighter 12 bore with the 21s such as a gun designed for field use.

The experience of shooting can be transformed with the correct equipment.

I have fired a few 20 bores in my time using 28gm and been kicked by them far worse than a 12 bore with a 21gm cartridge. Most sporting clay shoots at medium ranges won't offer any disadvantage to 21gm cartridges either.