Variation problem

goldypurple

Its now coming up to nearly 5 weeks that Norfolk police have had my variation paperwork, when i sent it to them, i included a letter, saying i required my fac back by 23 Feb, reason being i want to buy the rifles at newark shooting show. But i hadnt heard anything or received it back so decided to phone them to find out what was going on, and was told it was handed over to the feo, and to contact him.

On my original fac, i have 308 223 and .22, i am changing the 223 to a 243 and increasing my hold by one rifle 17hmr.

Norfolk now want to come out and do a visit and a chat, which is next Tuesday. Dont know why really, as he was only out at my place less than 6 months ago.

He is now saying it might be a problem, because it has flagged up on there computer, that the household has to many guns in, and may require an alarm system and a visit from crime prevention officer to check the house security.

in total the house already has more than 10 firearms (not all mine) in it, and they knew this before they granted my fac in the first place.

I have sought advice from BASC, and they have told me it shouldnt be a problem, and to refer to the security handbook when he turns up.

But do i back down and install an alarm.

Has anyone any further advice.

Im not happy now thou, cos its a waste going to the show now as cant get what i wanted. :angry:

i agree, yes people may have the same issue.

But why kick up a fuss about it now, he knew the situation when he done the inital grant, and also when he came and done my dads renewal.

Nothing has changed, so why waste time and money?

And i think its a bit much waiting 6-7weeks for a variation, and there excuse is we have lost staff due to the goverment cuts, so they have a backlog, Not really my problem is it thou

Police handbook states that if more than 12 guns stored then additional security may be required. You might have triggered something wanting another gun. A cheap DIY wireless alarm will cost you £50 take an hour to fit and keep them happy. If it was me I'd just jump through that hoop!

sounds perfectly reasonable and sensible to me to be honest i would be surprised if they did not wish to visit or have you upgrade security. I got a very useful 4 cam CCTV system with constant recording for £500 from maplins easy to fit and your FEO would appreciate the efforts made to keep the kit safe.........

im quite happy to put an alarm in, its not really a problem. But the argument is it isnt law to have one, its only reconmended, but norfolk are saying its policy.

i know others fac holder who have more firearms than i, with no alarms dogs etc and also live in the middle of no where, which i thought would be more of a risk.

Its just pixxed me off, because now the Fu--ers, are kicking up a fuss about it, when they should have the first time when they granted the fac.

forgot to mention, we have dogs live in the house and dogs live out in kennels near where the guns are kept, so i dont think anyone would get in, without them making noise.

Anyway do people take any notice of alarms going off these days or are they ignored?

sounds perfectly reasonable and sensible to me to be honest i would be surprised if they did not wish to visit or have you upgrade security. I got a very useful 4 cam CCTV system with constant recording for £500 from maplins easy to fit and your FEO would appreciate the efforts made to keep the kit safe.........

wasn't that to try and catch Mrs pav and the milkman in the act though :oops:

that the household has to many guns in, and may require an alarm system and a visit from crime prevention officer to check the house security.

in total the house already has more than 10 firearms (not all mine) in it, and they knew this before they granted my fac in the first place.

I would imagine it comes down to the crime reports for each particular area and each case is judged on its own merits.For example,if you converted a spare bedroom into a gunroom with associated precautions to comply i bet they wouldnt have a problem.

My FEO for example said the other week i was allowed upto 9 then would need an alarm.At 15 and above they require a monitiored alarm yet im aware of some people who have been allowed more,but also less.

Seems different forces have different 'policies',and there appears to be an increasingly restrictive tightening of 'policy'.As mentioned elsewhere,I once owned a dozen handguns,and NEVER had a visit from an FEO,nor my security checked!I'm surprised all SGC/FAC holders aren't required to install alarms to be honest,and think it will only be a matter of time.I can see why you are annoyed though.Think I'd be on the phone again,explaining why you want itfor the show.Good luck.

My advice would be to politely question the need for it to take so long and explain the situation bout having made arrangements with RFDs to collect guns and ask them to see you quicker.

Whilst I understand your frustration it is a negative reaction, I guarantee you that if you get stroppy with them you will slow them down even more!

I have just spoken to one of the Durham FLO's.

He said that should I wish to have more than 10 firearms in my house, he wouldn't be happy unless I had an alarm system fitted.

We have 8 firearms at the moment, he's just come round to interview me for my own ticket.

So, we can only have two more, then he would like am alarm fitted.

However, I'm unsure if they can refuse and additional slots based upon " he would like to see" an alarm fitted.

Why does it vary sooo much between regions :hmm:

When I had my interview last Wednesday my FEO also said if I get quite a few guns (I think she said 10 or 12 but not sure) they would probably request I fit an alarm and that is Manchester. I am having one fitted anyway because it makes my contents insurance cheaper so not a problem for me.

Does look like it is becoming a standard request though.

Is it a requirement that it is a profressional fit or can DIY be OK? For example, I have a good alarm fitted but I did it myself and in the eyes of my insurance co I don't have one, which is fine because If I forget to set it I will still be covered and it didn't make much difference anyway.

Mine is a wireless alarm and so I am tempted to stick a mag sensor inside the cabinet.

Dan