price fixing

the crowman

bought 2 briley extended chokes and a briley key from the states a couple of weeks ago for 105 usd delivered.

worked out around £65 all in.

uk price £45 each for the chokes and £12 for the key.

had to wait 4 weeks for them, but the wait would be the same if i ordered them from gunshop here, they dont stock crio chokes.

didn't get to pay duty on the way in. :good:

import duty on its own wouldn't be so bad. But if I remember right I had to pay Import duty, VAT and ParcelForce handling charges for paying the VAT and duty for me upfront.

They work the VAT out based on the value of the goods in the UK plus the postage on top as this is clearly part of the value paid. So you pay VAT on your expensive postage as well.

Edited by reddan

import duty on its own wouldn't be so bad. But if I remember right I had to pay Import duty, VAT and ParcelForce handling charges for paying the VAT and duty for me upfront.

They work the VAT out based on the value of the goods in the UK plus the postage on top as this is clearly part of the value paid. So you pay VAT on your expensive postage as well.

Same for me, I bought a pair of extended brileys for £60 all in a few years back, six months later I ordered a set of scopes and got collared for all the above, still, though waiting ages for em I saved £12 :lol::lol: ( and god knows how the warrantee would work out)

Luckily I have friends on the Gulf Coast so twice a year we go over and visit, he's thinking of adding an extra room to his house for all the stuff I get shipped to him for me to collect!.

Last trip I got over £550 worth of stuff for just over £250 by buying from the USA, and as it's under the £390 limit no duty to pay :)

I think the next trip may set a record even for me :blush: So far I've got adjustable scope rings, a scope base for a Marlin 1894, 2 x red dot sights, a Lee Challenger Press Kit, God knows how much case lube, tools, ammo boxes etc., gun bags, gun rest, 400 Hornady A-Max Moly lubed bullets, BC Scope covers and loads of other assorted shooting stuff :blush:

It's a pity I can't bring the Marlin 1894C and Taurus .44mag LBR I want or even powder or primers as well, they are a lot cheaper over there.

Edited by phaedra1106

This is what ye not getting. Tulock choke called a super waterfowl extended $67.99 there's a shop in the uk selling the same choke for £183.99 :sly: i just think it stink's i dont care about inport tax and duty this price we have here is shocking and i bet the shop hasnt just bought a dozen to sell in the uk :angry:

Almost everything is cheaper in the US, especially now that V.A.T is 20%! <_<

Apart from food/groceries which we find is either the same or more expensive.

Just ordered another Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit (90030) for a friend, the US version includes the newer Auto-Prime XR version, cost was just over £72 including shipping. Just looked on Sportsmans and it's listed at a mere £134.80 + shipping with the old hand prime tool or £108 at Henry Kranks.

Edited by phaedra1106

Apart from food/groceries which we find is either the same or more expensive.

Just ordered another Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit (90030) for a friend, the US version includes the newer Auto-Prime XR version, cost was just over £72 including shipping. Just looked on Sportsmans and it's listed at a mere £134.80 + shipping with the old hand prime tool or £108 at Henry Kranks.

That's true, but it is surprising just how many food products have V.A.T added to them, for example peanuts. And the cost of food and groceries has risen a lot recently anyway. <_<

Also, I thought that you had to pay V.A.T on anything coming in from the US with a value of greater than or equal to £18? :huh:

The £18 limit is for items sent to you from abroad. If you're bringing back stuff yourself the UK limit (for countries outside the EU) was raised to £390,

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm#1

There is no limit on how much you can bring back from another EU member country, what they get more snippy about are people doing booze & fags runs, technically there is no limit on these either but they have thresholds that they see as reasonable for personal use, anything above them and they tend to make your life difficult :)

Edited by phaedra1106

The £18 limit is for items sent to you from abroad. If you're bringing back stuff yourself the UK limit (for countries outside the EU) was raised to £390,

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm#1

There is no limit on how much you can bring back from another EU member country, what they get more snippy about are people doing booze & fags runs, technically there is no limit on these either but they have thresholds that they see as reasonable for personal use, anything above them and they tend to make your life difficult :)

Thanks for the info mate. :)

Why can't you import UK legal firearms for personal use? I would have expected a ton of paperwork with the usual bureaucracy, but I would have thought it possible... :huh: