absolute cheapest setup ? - Hornet

If i were to get a 22hornet my pocket money would be so tight I would squeek as I walked ! So I would need to keep costs down on reloading kit for 6 months or so. So What are the abolute barest minimum things I would need to get me going ? And what cost could I do it for ?

I have no idea about reloading as iv never done it before so need ask those in the know !

Cheers

Hiya

x100 ppu 22 hornet=£46.90 versus

X100 cases =£18.90

X100 bullets =£13.45

X100 primers =£2.60

1x blue dot =£33.80

1x lee kit =£106

1x lee dies =£15.15

1x 22 hornet trimmer length gauge £4

= £193.90

phew

the blue dot will give you over 1000 loads though,the dies last forever and you should get loads of use from the cases.Plus you've got your reloading gear for all the other calibers you'll get

hth

MARK

Not saying that they're essential, but you may just avoid the expense of buying twice if you can stretch to a bench rest standard bullet seating die to start with. If the reloading bug does take hold of you, you'll eventually weaken and get one sooner or later to accurately seat a bullet in a hornet cylinder - a known problem because of the thin neck.

If the minimalist Lee route what about the Classic Lee Loader kit c. £30 + case trimmer etc?

Don't ignore 'previosly owned'

But the best option is a good reloading guide and an experienced mentor.

Edited by seeker

If you want to save money, reloading isn't the way to do it. You'll have to shoot a couple thousand rounds before it can start to pay back economically. If you shoot that much, then go for it. But I suspect if you shot that much you'd already be reloading.

Thanks

Rick

What if you bought the gear second hand and sold it on once you were done with it? Surely you would save money then?

ps I was looking into something similar to this myself :good:

The trouble with reloading purely to save money, which is what the Op said is simply that he won't save money. The money he has to lay out on primers, powder, bullets alone equates to approx 250 rounds of PPU. Better at this stage to just buy ammunition and get shooting if money is tight. Then think about reloading later.

The gear is going to run away with a lot of money and its not just the press and dies, even if you can pick them up secondhand you still have scales, case trimmers, trickler, calipers etc to buy. Testing reloads and load development wastes ammo and the Hornet is fussy so there is going to be a lot of that before he sees any payback. Once he gets past that stage he will save money but how long will it take to break even? Whats he going to save? 10p on a reload? He will have to load well over 1000 rounds to cover his costs. Thats a lot of work and effort.

The situation may be different if he can't get PPU locally or his rifle doesn't like them. Then it might start looking different

Edited by Vince Green

Use PPU until you have enough cases then look out for a second hand Lee Loader and a cheap set of lee scales. £45 max, for both.

you do not need anything else to start with. other than a pair of verniers from Aldi for £5.

I have been doing just this on the .222 and it is easy, quick and no messing.

NJC Neil is the man to ask on the hornet.

Phil.

What Phil said pretty much. A cheap scale and a Lee Loader are all you need. The only down side to a Lee loader is it only neck sizes, but if you only use new cases or cases that have been fired in your rifle that's fine (better in fact).

You should be able to get the loader and scale for under £50. A tub of powder is what, £50? and you'll get 700 reloads from a tub of Lil-gun (trust me, that's the powder to get!). Bullets £15/100, primers £5/100 (use small pistol primers not rifle, the Hornet case is small and gets unsettled by the blast from rifle primers).

I have near 100 S&B cases that you can have. That'll save you a few quid. I'll even full length size them for you so they'll be ok in your rifle after going through a Lee Loader! :good:

Edit... In fact to save buying the verniers I could even seat and crimp a bullet in an empty case so you can use it to set up the loader to the right length!

Edited by njc110381

So that would leave my cost per shot at : 20.071p each minus the case cost ! (HMR is 20p each bought at £10 a brick or 29p each bought at £14.50 a brick)

Am seriously looking at it as I need to sort the charlie`s on my new permition !

Just trying to compare setup and reloading costs on 40GRN BT rounds between 22Hornet and .223 as its so common !

But the effect down range on a head shot rabbit is my main concern as I sell my bunnys £1 each which will cover my reloading costs !

I might look for someone locally to join me on night with a 22hornet or .223 shooting some 40grn BT rounds which I would also pay for as it answers my questions and may save me £ in the long run !

I may pop and see Mike Norris tomorrow also as am only 2 - 3 mile away from him and I have the afternoon off !

See what he thinks also even if its bad new I know the visit will be enjoyable and if I take him a chocci bicci am sure he wont mind a 5 min chat ! :good:

So that would leave my cost per shot at : 20.071p each minus the case cost ! (HMR is 20p each bought at £10 a brick or 29p each bought at £14.50 a brick)

Am seriously looking at it as I need to sort the charlie`s on my new permition !

Just trying to compare setup and reloading costs on 40GRN BT rounds between 22Hornet and .223 as its so common !

But the effect down range on a head shot rabbit is my main concern as I sell my bunnys £1 each which will cover my reloading costs !

I might look for someone locally to join me on night with a 22hornet or .223 shooting some 40grn BT rounds which I would also pay for as it answers my questions and may save me £ in the long run !

I may pop and see Mike Norris tomorrow also as am only 2 - 3 mile away from him and I have the afternoon off !

See what he thinks also even if its bad new I know the visit will be enjoyable and if I take him a chocci bicci am sure he wont mind a 5 min chat ! :good:

Hi,

I'll be honest and say straight away that I'm not certain of my facts because my local RFD hasn't managed to get his hands on them for me yet to try yet. However, there is a very knowledgeable chap on here who may pick up on this - try some 30 grain Barnes in the Hornet for the rabbit.

Cheers

Head shot Rabbits will look similar no matter what round you shoot them with. Hole one side, not much the other or at least a large exit. Basically the only round that doesn't do that is the .22lr.

I wouldn't look at specific bullets - rather look at the prices. Anything between 30-45gr will work as long as they're stubby. These long pointy things don't fit in the mag so stick with hornet specific or light! Sierra Varminter Hornet are the cheapest on Midway. £17 per box for 40 or 45gr and either will work. Then add powder and a primer, I'm reconing on 25p per round which is pretty much the same as HMR.