would this land be FAC approved??

hi guys,

I have a sgc but I would like to get into rifle shooting.

I have a friend who also has a sgc and has a serious rabbit problem on the land he owns. He own approx 4 acres including his house. He has never applied for a firearms licence for his land as he doesnt think it will get passed for a .22 or .17. Ive tried loads of ways to cull the rabbits but its just never enough getting 1 or 2 at a time. shotgun is too load, 1 shot at a rabbit and then all the rabbits go in and dont come back out again(who can blame them), ive tried air rifle, good but getting close enough for a humane kill can be tricky as its very flat grassland with no cover.

anyway, im going to upload a pic and see what your thoughts are. The black triangle is his land, the blue line is a railway track on a elevated embankment and the red triangle is a kind of park for dog walkers. He has had someone with a .22 shooting there before but on an open cert so surely that guy thought it was safe

post-8624-0-13275900-1299257063.jpg

The problem is that the land is very flat, a .22 subsonic will even bounce off a ploughed field, so hardbaked grass would be sounding like an old style Western movie. Pchooooooooowwwwww. Ziiiiiinnnnngggggg.

I suppose you could ask for HMR, I don't know what your FEO will think about it, but I've never had a bouncer from it.

End of the day just ask, I used to shoot squirrels and rabbits on my land with an air rifle because I didn't think it would be cleared. Willy1 came along with his open ticket and said "why don't you ask the FEO to have a look", now it's cleared to Hornet. Result. So, it's worth a go.

The problem is that the land is very flat, a .22 subsonic will even bounce off a ploughed field, so hardbaked grass would be sounding like an old style Western movie. Pchooooooooowwwwww. Ziiiiiinnnnngggggg.

I suppose you could ask for HMR, I don't know what your FEO will think about it, but I've never had a bouncer from it.

End of the day just ask, I used to shoot squirrels and rabbits on my land with an air rifle because I didn't think it would be cleared. Willy1 came along with his open ticket and said "why don't you ask the FEO to have a look", now it's cleared to Hornet. Result. So, it's worth a go.

Next on the list....50BMG?? ;)

Alan :lol:

hi guys,

I have a sgc but I would like to get into rifle shooting.

I have a friend who also has a sgc and has a serious rabbit problem on the land he owns. He own approx 4 acres including his house. He has never applied for a firearms licence for his land as he doesnt think it will get passed for a .22 or .17. Ive tried loads of ways to cull the rabbits but its just never enough getting 1 or 2 at a time. shotgun is too load, 1 shot at a rabbit and then all the rabbits go in and dont come back out again(who can blame them), ive tried air rifle, good but getting close enough for a humane kill can be tricky as its very flat grassland with no cover.

anyway, im going to upload a pic and see what your thoughts are. The black triangle is his land, the blue line is a railway track on a elevated embankment and the red triangle is a kind of park for dog walkers. He has had someone with a .22 shooting there before but on an open cert so surely that guy thought it was safe

Might sound obvious but ferrets and nets/shotgun?

Duncan

mk6 fenns straight down the holes, or an open ticket,

could'ent leave anymore help, was too busy watching your avitar :blush:

ME too!!!! Mesmerising :lol: Ferchrisssakes no one complain!!!!

Duncan

Back on track:

The raised railway embankment is a plus! bullets just don't travel through railway embankments.

Do you know who owns the surrounding land? It may be worth a diplomatic approach and see if you could expand your permission slightly.

An approach I've found useful.

"Hi my name is ... and I shoot for farmer X, your neighbour for however long and I was wondering if I could control pests on your land, as and when needed? " Obviously mention your shooting insurance, careful attitude to shooting and your availability by mobile should he have a sudden agri-pest problem.

Being able to refer to a neighbouring landowner can often help your case! Joined-up pest control makes sense doesn't it?

With a bigger parcel of land to cover, the feo is likely to view it more positively.

Best of luck

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan

I'm not too sure about this one. As you say the land is very flat and there seems to be no shortage of dwellings close by. The railway embankment is a perfect backstop and offers perfect safety but a point the FEO may pick up on is that you don't have permission to shoot on the railway and so cannot use it as a backstop. All your rounds must stop before the fence or you will be breaking the law unfortunately.

I have shoots that I use railway land as a secondary backstop but if I had a ricochet then I would be committing an offence. :oops: