Titanium moderator

kent

Has anyone any experiance of these, was looking on Lawrance presision site and they seem to be what i am looking for on the face of it (though i understand they are big bucks)are they worth it?

Thing is i got a T8 on the .243" which i have had from the days when moderators were still rare things on c/fire. I liked the reduce blast but the darn thing was so front heavy i havent used it in at least 5 yrs now and as the .243 is getting ready for a new tube i thought of going the whole hog and getting it fitted up for a lighter less bulky reflex moderator at the same time as i am now shooting in areas were fitting the moddy could be handy. Also as i will keep this gun forever i think it might pay for itself with the extended lifespan also, although my T8 is near imaculate as it never leaves the confines of the gunroom!

Looks like a lighter version of the PES T12.

http://www.lawrenceprecision.co.uk/m2.html

I would also look at the ASE Utra Compact, if you are having a new barrel presumably you can specify the length?

Sort of but .243" is fussy with barrel length, shorten it too much and it fails on deer legislation. was looking at PES previous as custom specified but the titaium thing realy atracts me as i can maybee even switch it from one barrel to the next with only the requirement of the muzzle thread. ASE not of any intrest neither is any non relex due to balance " admittedly looks also" besides they are heavy little lumps with all the weight hanging at the muzzle- its this muzzle tippyness i hate reflex brings the weight back more and titanium lightens them up you see

Have a look at the last Sporting Rifle .. there's a round up of mods with weight, price and posed pics ..

I think they come as low as 200g .. and as high as £700 ..

Edited by seeker

I can see your points, I hate moderators (insert joke here) on centrefires so I went for a PES for the reasons you have stated.

My .223 was virtually unusable with it fitted as the rifle is so light, it almost used to fall forward when using sticks.

I flogged the PES got the barrel shopped and bought an ASE, I have to say I have never looked back.

They aren't that heavy and the Northstar is slightly over barrel to bring the weight back a bit, so that could be another option, or a Wildcat P8 maybe?

Have a look at the last Sporting Rifle .. there's a round up of mods with weight, price and posed pics ..

I think they come as low as 200g .. and as high as £700 ..

Ahh, but magazines depend totally on advertising revenue- i never bother with thier "reviews" on anything i am afraid, though thanks for the heads up anyway

Been quoted £590 for the one i fancy. supose if i use it and it outlasts everything else three fold plus its gotta be worthwhile :hmm:

cough cough how much :oops:

as for the wildcats they aren't exactly light, well built but not light.

Guys its killing me, however the A tec in Ali is £264 and 180 grms lighter so it might swing it. the weight is a real big issue i already have a T8 that hasn't been used in years sat in safe still for this very reason alone but if it only lasts half as long then they are the same cost to me in the end if i have three A-tecs or more the titanium is cheaper in the long term. oh what to do? :hmm:

Been quoted £590 for the one i fancy. supose if i use it and it outlasts everything else three fold plus its gotta be worthwhile :hmm:

cough cough how much :oops:

as for the wildcats they aren't exactly light, well built but not light.

Yep, I agree but as I always say check out the P8 Compact, smaller and lighter than the Full P8 but the same baffle stack!

I've heard reports that titanium mods offer no noticeable advantage over alloy.

I would try and check out some of the mods "in the flesh".

One thing to consider is that the weight alone does not tell the whole story. I had a T8 and have switched to a thirdeye spartan for basically the same reasons you want. The difference in the handling of the rifle was huge. I can hold the rifle fully outstretched in one hand like a pistol now, no way could I do that with the T8 it was way too muzzle heavy.

The bulk of the weight in the thirdeye is in the stainless muzzle brake assembly which is obviousley screwed on the muzzle. The part of the mod that actually sits forward of the muzzle is pretty light so the impact on balance and handling is minimal.

Yes there are lighter mods out there but they are muzzle can style ALL of the weight hangs forward of the muzzle.

Some more info and pics HERE

Edited by pigglet

I went through the same scenario last year when I had my .243 rebarrelled. The old T8 was past it's best and I really wanted a lighter mod.

After looking at anything and everything, I finally decided on one of the A-Tec CMM-4 mods, they are superbly light, and being modular you can

(to a certain degree) choose the length that you want.

So far, after 600 rounds through it, the mod looks as new and I am very happy with it.

So happy in fact that I will shortly be replacing the T8 on my Swede with another A-Tec CMM-4.

One thing to consider is that the weight alone does not tell the whole story. I had a T8 and have switched to a thirdeye spartan for basically the same reasons you want. The difference in the handling of the rifle was huge. I can hold the rifle fully outstretched in one hand like a pistol now, no way could I do that with the T8 it was way too muzzle heavy.

The bulk of the weight in the thirdeye is in the stainless muzzle brake assembly which is obviousley screwed on the muzzle. The part of the mod that actually sits forward of the muzzle is pretty light so the impact on balance and handling is minimal.

Yes there are lighter mods out there but they are muzzle can style ALL of the weight hangs forward of the muzzle.

Thank you they look ok and massively cheaper, not too far away i will phone them and see if i can view as my gun is still threaded up i will try one on before i re-barrel. I supose they can be repaired when gas cutting bcomes an issue due to the modular layout

Thank you they look ok and massively cheaper, not too far away i will phone them and see if i can view as my gun is still threaded up i will try one on before i re-barrel. I supose they can be repaired when gas cutting bcomes an issue due to the modular layout

No Problem. Craig is the guy you want to speak to. He is the owner of EVO engineering (thirdeye is the shooting accessory side of the business incorporated within EVO)and is a keen stalker. He's a great guy to deal with. It's worth the trip just to have a mooch around the shop floor and ogle all equipment and other shiny wares they produce.

I would expect even with frequent range use it would take a loooooong time to wear the alloy baffles out (if at all) as they have a stainless insert to prevent gas cutting.

Thanks for the review :good: Got the heads up on these earlier in the week.

I've been trying to obtain a Wilcat P8 Compact for about 6 weeks now...even rang the suppliers and was told it would be posted out to my RFD last week.Still not here :hmm: seems they don't need the sales :rolleyes:

I now think i will be purchasing 1 of these for my .22 250 :yes:

Has anyone any experiance of these, was looking on Lawrance presision site and they seem to be what i am looking for on the face of it (though i understand they are big bucks)are they worth it?

Thing is i got a T8 on the .243" which i have had from the days when moderators were still rare things on c/fire. I liked the reduce blast but the darn thing was so front heavy i havent used it in at least 5 yrs now and as the .243 is getting ready for a new tube i thought of going the whole hog and getting it fitted up for a lighter less bulky reflex moderator at the same time as i am now shooting in areas were fitting the moddy could be handy. Also as i will keep this gun forever i think it might pay for itself with the extended lifespan also, although my T8 is near imaculate as it never leaves the confines of the gunroom!

the lawence mods are over price and dont work very well,my mate had one,also is customer service is shocking,I know another guy who had a hell of a job getting his money back on one which had a fault

if you want titainium anglo custom rifles produce one,there £399 i have one here on my desk to test,othere than that the third eye tactical is worth a look,I use one at the moment

the lawence mods are over price and dont work very well,my mate had one,also is customer service is shocking,I know another guy who had a hell of a job getting his money back on one which had a fault

if you want titainium anglo custom rifles produce one,there £399 i have one here on my desk to test,othere than that the third eye tactical is worth a look,I use one at the moment

Going to visit the Third eye tactical bloke and try one on gun before it gets a new tube, balance and handling are the prime consideration for me hence my thoughts towards titanium but to be fair the lawrence ones might have exeeded thier price ceiling for me costing more than the new barrel and fitting