.243 80gr vs 100gr

If zeroed at an inch high at 100yards with 100gr bullets what will the diffrence be in zero from fireing an 80gr bullet at the same target

Excuse me for getting on my High Horse again, zero is where the bullet enters, it is not and inch high anywhere.

First zero is first zero, and zero is zero, if you are 1" high at 100 yards God knows where your zero is!

ATB!

Zero at an inch high is so you don't have to zero at stupid ranges zeroing an inch high represents 186 yards bull

so does that mean if you set your zero to 1 inch high your point of aim at 100 meters is the bull and out to 186 yards the same,thanks

Excuse me for getting on my High Horse again, zero is where the bullet enters, it is not and inch high anywhere.

First zero is first zero, and zero is zero, if you are 1" high at 100 yards God knows where your zero is!

ATB!

What a load of **** would you try to explain that in english.????

Zero at an inch high is so you don't have to zero at stupid ranges zeroing an inch high represents 186 yards bull

If you have targets/quarry at 186 yards then you can zero at 186 yards, setting your scope 1" high at 100 yards will not necessarily confirm a 186 yard zero!

:good:

Zeroing an inch high means if presented with a target at 100 yards I know point of impact(POI) will be an inch higher then cross hairs so I make allowances then at 180-200 yards I'm smack on the cross hairs then as the range increase it comes down to experience. Original question tho the gun shop is trying to sell me some 80 gr instead of 100gr (same brand) I asked about the difference in zero and he said there no shift. But a lighter bullet flys faster and flatter so I thort I'd ask some impartial advice

Have you ever tried to zero a rifle at 180 yards. If you can do it your more then welcome to do mine one shot at 180 yards is ok but its easier to group an inch high at 100

My certrefires are ALL zeroed at 200 yards, because that is the most suitable distance for me and my general centrefire use!

My .243 is then 1.25 inches high at 100 yards with my normal 90g SP.

In both cases figures are checked by live fire at the given distances!

Just to give you an idea cockercas i have my 243 zeroed at 1" high at 100yds with 75gr V Max for fox's i also have some 100gr soft point that a rfd mate gave me to load up for deer...

The 75 gr load is VARGET POWDER 38.5 grains

The 100 gr softpoint load is VARGET POWDER 34 grains

This makes the point of impact within 1/2" of each other using the same zero....

Does that explain you question..

i think whay the man wants to know with out going into poi and poa,is will the two bullets hit the same place if zero`d for 80g but shot with 100g. the only way to find out properly is shoot it and see. the estate rifle i use had both 100g bullets and 70g bullets with it both shoot the same hight but 100g is 9 inch to the left

My certrefires are ALL zeroed at 200 yards, because that is the most suitable distance for me and my general centrefire use!

My .243 is then 1.25 inches high at 100 yards with my normal 90g SP.

In both cases figures are checked by live fire at the given distances!

so basically your being pedantic about 1/4" some people have not got the facility to zero@ 200 yards on a range and dont want to do it "on the farm" so a simple set it @ 1" high at 100 at the range is damn well near enough for charlie and co.

KW

Edited by kdubya

ATB!

so basically your being pedantic about 1/4" some people have not got the facility to zero@ 200 yards on a range and dont want to do it "on the farm" so a simple set it @ 1" high at 100 at the range is damn well near enough for charlie and co.

KW

No chap, nothing specifically to do with distance, ZERO is ZERO, it is where the cross hairs and bullet impact coincide on the drop, it isn't any distance from anywhere.

If someone wants to set their scope 1" high at 100 yards then fine, it is 1 inch high at 100 yards, it does not have a 1 inch high zero.

Zero is zero, it's terminology.

ATB! :good:

As much as I hate to agree with young Dekers but he's right.

I have to say that all my rifles are set up to shoot 1" high at 100yds but they are zeroed in at 100 then dialed in to shoot 1" high for point and fire shooting. However, I know exactly how many clicks up I have the scope set at so that I can return to zero and dial in for long range shooting when needed. If I had zeroed in at 1" high how would I make adjustments for say 400yard shots if I did not have an exact fixed reference point, it would all become to confusing.Far easier to zero at 100 and then dial in to get the POI you desire.

KW

I agree with you kdubya, all my really safe areas for centrefire zeroing don't give me the luxury of large distance. Its a bit like the old .17hmr debate, if its zeroed at 40yds its still spot on at 100 or something like that. If you know the speed and weight of your bullet there is stacks of data on the net to give you some idea. 200yd zeroing also adds a few more problems with the wind, it will have to be pretty still as any windage will be magnified x 2 over zeroing at 100yds.

The ONLY way you will know is to try it.

Circumnavigating the side debate going on, apache is correct. Zero on most rifles will vary between different ammunition manufacturers even using the same weight, so it is impossible to say how an 80gn bullet will perform until you try it with your own kit.

We were actually trying this today. Using a Winchester Mod70 and Federal Power-Shok 80gr and 100gr.

I have my rifle setup 1.5" @ 100yds giving me approx 200yd zero again for the point and shoot aspect but after testing today a 200yds zero using the 80gr variant gave me only just over an inch high @ 100yds so approx half an inch lower.

It seems from the ballistics data that the 80gr will give better muzzle energy, downrange energy, velocity and a flatter trajectory/bullet drop over distance ;) Could well be worth the change :good:

As much as the point is being argued though I have to concede that where the bullet strike matches the crosshair position is logically the zero point.

Goes to show the guy in the shop knows squat or just wants to take your money. On center fire especially, hold, recoil, harmonics play a big part. I will agree with Dekers this time 100% :lol: My own .243" seems somewere near with 95grn noslers and 100grn pro-hunters - however it is not and 1/2 moa out at 100 can make a big difference out at 200 yds. With factory ammo expect different batches of the same to shoot different also

KW

actually it is this tendency to be pedantic that ensures we can hit the mark reliably. you see the only way to 100% know your 200 yds zero is to shoot it. discrepancies in shooting add up many we can control (like our absouloute confidence in our zero) many we cant, removing any doubt with the former gives us tollerance to deal with the later (wind calls etc)