Smith & Wesson 581 Damascus Blade.

Bazooka Joe

Smith & Wesson 581 Damascus Blade.

Had a bit spare time the other day, so I decided to make myself a Skinning Knife.

I had leftovers of the Damascus Steel I was making the Rings with, & an Old Pair of Hand Grips off a Smith & Wesson 581 357" I used to own before the ban. I was going to customise this gun, bull barrel, different grips, trigger, sights etc, alas no more, hence the spare grips.

Blade length 3-3/4",

Width of blade 1-1/2".

Handle; 3-3/4" Long.

7-1/2" overall.

Decorated the Top Strap of the Blade, drilled & fitted a Hollow Brass Insert for a Landyard in the base of the grips, polished the Wood & the S/W Logo's on the side of the grips, & made a Brass Insert to fit in between the two Handles.

Just a heads up, if you ever decide to make one of these knifes out of old Damascus Barrels, you cannot harden the steel. :no:

Does it bring back memories.....Yes :yes:

PICT0915.jpg

PICT0916.jpg

PICT0920.jpg

PICT0932.jpg

PICT0917.jpg

PICT0925.jpg

PICT0924.jpg

PICT0923.jpg

jo didnt know how talented you are. very nice mate, did you ever make any more rings? with it being of that type of steel would it be prone to rust ? I have been told and you are the man to know is leaf spring any good for knife blades? I keep seeing this at the side of the road off tippers and the like

Hi Justin, no rings yet, being promised steel for a while now, & nothing has shown. :no:

I've an old hammer gun, I'll have a look tomorrow & see if I want to keep it, or turn it into rings/blades.

As for the spring steel, I suppose you could, have you access to a milling machine, be a bit of a labour, there's better steel out there for what you want.

Hello, mate,

The knife is an absolute delight.

Just had a thought about some Damascus from what I saw on the last visit I made to Somerset. I'll make a call but it's just possible that the people in question (who appreciate skill and artistry) may see this anyway: They know who they are!

Cheers,

Phil

That is stunning mate, i remember seeing the rings you made and also thinking they were great, you must have a real talent for that, although i was bored in the garage one day and made a ring out of a 2 pence piece and was surprised at how well it came out, it had that hammerite "hammered" finish and cought the light quite well!

Well done you...

on the hardening - surely there must be a way to harden them as the gun barrells must take a bit of punishment don't they?

Regards,

Gixer

That is stunning mate, i remember seeing the rings you made and also thinking they were great, you must have a real talent for that, although i was bored in the garage one day and made a ring out of a 2 pence piece and was surprised at how well it came out, it had that hammerite "hammered" finish and cought the light quite well!

Well done you...

on the hardening - surely there must be a way to harden them as the gun barrells must take a bit of punishment don't they?

Regards,

Gixer

Hello, mate.

Re the hardening; I may be talking out out of my '***** here so please take this with a pinch of salt. Two different materials are used to form the barrels - iron and steel twisted together and welded. Any attempt to harden the steel would, I think, result in a melted puddle of iron because of the temperatures required. Pretty sure that Joe can put us straight.

Cheers

Bazooka Joe, if you want to make another I have a spare set of original grips from N frame Mod 29 S&W. They have some damage to the very tops, but you could do away with this bit. Yours for free if you want them.

Catweazle, thanks for the offer, I'll send you a PM,

Refuse nothing but blows... :lol:

Wymberley is right, the main problem is the Damascus Barrels are made from low carbon steel and iron, carbon being the common denominator here, & they will not harden. The Chinese Sword Makers use a method called "sanmei", I think I'm right, where the sword has the softer inner core, with a hard outer skin....totally different steel to the Damascus Steel used for Shotgun Barrels.

Saying that, you can get a excellent edge on this type of knife, but it won't take punishment....this one will serve well for what it was made for though "skinning".