What A Great day...

Norrie

Hiya, Just thought I'd let you know what happened last week...I had a delivery of wood to a farm, and on the way to it, saw two female Roe with one of the best backstops I've ever seen, at 2pm in the day too...:)

So, gets to the farm,has a blether with the farmer about the deer, and got unloaded by him,he has a Farm shop, and next to the steading, has a couple of fields full of Free Range Chickens, heard a commotion and saw a big dog Fox running through them....so asked him if he has anyone shooting them...he said nope, and so I offered my services...:) great stuff he says, pop up at the weekend, and I'll walk you round the farm, so, today, went up...had a look around, got a copy of his boundaries,signed permission slips etc and showed him my SGC and FAC and insurances...then he says, dont know if yer interested, BUT, I get polluted with pigeons when I sow my crops.....could you help ??, oh!! and the deer too..!!!!! They're ruining the young crops..:)

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven...:)

So, I'm the lucky shooter on 200 hectares of prime mixed farming land,with pasture, woodland, moor, and grazing...holding all species of pests...:)

It wasnt till I got home, and converted the 200 hectares to acres, I found out, I now have just under 500 acres, with lots of it, being able to drive over......:)So, off up tomorrow proper, for a mooch round, this time with the guns....might stay a wee bit late too...:)

BTW,theres a few splashes on the land,and he also gets lots of geese...:)

Then as I was leaving, I got a bag of goodies from him, with home grown sprouts, carrots and cauli...and an invite to bring the grandkids up for a day, when he'll let them bottle feed the orphan lambs..:)

What a nice man, hope I do a decent job for him..;)

Crikey mate, you have bagged a cracker there. Just goes to show it is always worth an ask :good:

Hi Guys., Yep, It does, but it's really all thanks to those two Roe, and especially the fox that went tearing through the chicken field....I did think about asking him before that,and was unsure about it, but the fox made my mind up for me...:)

I'm going up this afternoon/evening, see what I can see.. I'll report back..

David, once I'm settled in, you'll be welcome to join me on a wee foray sometime mate..:)After all, it's just across the water from you..;)

Hiya, Well, was out till late last night, from about 6pm till 11pm....saw lots of stuff, deer, rabbits, foxes etc... and managed to shoot one little vixen......:) it was heading down to the chickens, about 100yds away from me......about 20 mins after full darkness...and saw a couple more, but too far away for me,( 250-275 yds) and just below the brow of a hill..so, no shot, even if I was good enough...:)

Left the tail at the farmers front door...:)

I'm out again on Saturday night, this time going to spend more time out there,....... :lol:

There are 6 stands of conifer woods as well, and I have already discussed with the farmer, the possiblilty of using the beagles on a driven fox shoot...he seems very amenable to that as well, and is going to ask his neighbouring farm for access as he only has three sides of the woodland...we need 4 sides for changes in the wind direction ...

I'm also going to have a session on the pigeons on Sunday, as the farmer has sown his first crops and they are getting hit already...:)

So, all in all a great looking farm, with plenty of "vermin" on it...:)

you my friend have found where jesus lives

Hiya, What a crackin reply!!! near fell off me chair there...thankyou sooooo much for that...:)

Congratulations ! Take it easy getting to know the land, and don't shoot out all the vermin.

Good Luck.

chiefy

Thanks Chiefy :)...I certainly wont ruin it, it's got to last me a long time.... it'll take ages to walk round and get to know the ground proper....its much bigger than any other permission I have....but, I'm really looking forward to days out, some without the gun just walking about...

I talked to the farmer today, I have carte blanche what I do, and when I do it, no need to call him now, he'll see my car anyway....

Theres an open day on Easter Saturday...for his shop and livery services,suppliers etc will be there... so anyone wanting to call over, more than welcome...

So, all in all, a really good result..:)

Edited by Norrie

FAntastic news for you Norrie - I'd be hitting the pigeons very hard for him as I reckon this guys is worth keeping happy!

Make him see your worth straight away - your new permission sounds like a 'keeper'.

All the best

Duncan

Thanks Duncan,.I'm def going to do the pigeons this weekend...I can only really do weekends due to work, but he knows that..:)

He's mainly worried about the foxes,they've taken a couple of lambs already, and a few chickens too..even in daylight they are after the chooks... so will be concentrating on them at night, and pigeons during the day...:)

I've offered my services for the open day at Easter,labouring, making tea etc etc... the least I can do...;)

Just a wee update, literally just called the the farmer to let him know my plans on his farm for tomorrow, and it seems his bro has a farm of the about the same size 4 miles from my home, and wants a chat. He's going to be there tomorrow...:)

Edited by Norrie

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

Just a wee update...Got home from work a wee while ago, and Jim the farmer who has a farm just up the road from me,and next to one I already shoot is on to tell me that if I want, I can now shoot on all his land, and not just the sheds....and he has an old Larsen trap if I want it...want it??? near took his hand off...;)

It's not a massive farm,about 180 acres.. but another farm nonetheless...:) I love this shooting lark!!! :)

Should hear for def from the other farmer this week, met up with him at his bro's where I'm shooting already... ,had a good long chat and all looks good..:)

Hiya,

Just a wee update...Got home from work a wee while ago, and Jim the farmer who has a farm just up the road from me,and next to one I already shoot is on to tell me that if I want, I can now shoot on all his land, and not just the sheds....and he has an old Larsen trap if I want it...want it??? near took his hand off...;)

It's not a massive farm,about 180 acres.. but another farm nonetheless...:) I love this shooting lark!!! :)

Should hear for def from the other farmer this week, met up with him at his bro's where I'm shooting already... ,had a good long chat and all looks good..:)

IF you were down this way Norrie with these permissions you'd have an army of volunteers to help out - I'd be at the front of the queue! ;):lol:

Keep up the good work and enjoy your great good fortune :D

All the best

Duncan

David, once I'm settled in, you'll be welcome to join me on a wee foray sometime mate..:)After all, it's just across the water from you..;)

Sounds like a plan if you need a hand with the pigeons... need to try out my new shotgun. You seem to be picking up quite a bit of ground, well done you