fox carts

Depend's on which chamberd gun you got.

3.5" - 63g Gamebore Mamouth Super Magnum (BB) / 63g Fiocchi Ultra Magnum (BB)

3" - 52g Fiocchi (BB) / 50g Express Max Game (BB/1's) / 50g RC 50 (BB/2's) / 50g Gamebore Mammoth Magnum (BB)

2 3/4 - 42g Fiocci Semi Magnum (BB)/ 42g Eley Alphamax(BB)or Magnum (BB)/ 42g Express Super Game (1's)

Personally I like the 3" fiocchi carts and the Express No. 1's :good: :good: :good:

Edited by Simon123

i have got some 36 gram 70mm bb's and 50g 3" no 2 up stairs, which one would you choose out of then two ? :hmm:

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :rolleyes: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Depend's on which chamberd gun you got.

3.5" - 63g Game Bore carts (BB)

3" - 52g Fiocchi (BB)

2 3/4 - 42g Fiocci (BB)/ Eley (BB)/ Express (1's)

I like the 3" fiocchi carts and the Express No. 1's :good: :good: :good:

See above...........

Why does the fact he has 70mm cartridges mean he only has one gun, with a 3" chamber?

Thanks Simon - useful to know what to use for my 3.5" chambered gun and my 2 3/4" chambered gun

None of which I have, but I bet someone else does......

Thanks again for the useful info Simon, and for going above and beyond for other readers :good:

JW

IMO it depends very much upon the situation, i.e. I use different loads and sizes for fox drives and for bolting foxes out of holes. When I am covering an area of cover for a fox drive I will use 42g 2's as sometimes I may have to cover a lot of ground. When I am bolting foxes out of holes the fox will very rarely be beyond 20 yards when the shot is taken; therefore I will sometimes use 42g 3 or 4's.

I also put a lot of thought into chokes: 3/4 or full choke for fox drives and 1/2 choke for bolting out of holes.

As the previous guy said about situations pretty much. I have some 3 1/2" lead BB's that are good for the lamp and also back gunning on drives and like a std 3" no 1 for walking bracken beds and around cover generally were more open chokes are used. I have never personally used anything smaller than no1's and don't know how happy i would be with 3's, but never tried.

The number one thing is the cartridge must suit your gun, not all 1/2 choke guns produce the same patterns with the same shell- you should always test and find the point the pattern fails, using a multichoke gun sometimes you get a few suprises so don't just ram in the full choke and think " that will do"

As the previous guy said about situations pretty much. I have some 3 1/2" lead BB's that are good for the lamp and also back gunning on drives and like a std 3" no 1 for walking bracken beds and around cover generally were more open chokes are used. I have never personally used anything smaller than no1's and don't know how happy i would be with 3's, but never tried.

The number one thing is the cartridge must suit your gun, not all 1/2 choke guns produce the same patterns with the same shell- you should always test and find the point the pattern fails, using a multichoke gun sometimes you get a few suprises so don't just ram in the full choke and think " that will do"

Have you never shot a fox with a game cartridge? I have shot plenty of foxes in the past with 7 1/2's while out shooting woodcock; obviously this wouldn't be my cartridge of choice, but they were opportunist shots. Number 3's are fine as long as you are putting the load in the right place and you know your range. The 3's I would use for bolting foxes out of holes when I am quite close to them.

how do you bolt foxes out of holes ? sorry if that sounds dumb not something ive done before and i know where there are a couple of fox holes on your soot :yes: thanks for your help

With terriers. This time of the year the foxes are harder to bolt because quite often they have cubs under ground; however, in the winter time when there has been bad weather, the foxes will quite often go to ground for shelter. Because we live close to mountains we have lots of fox earths that we get a lot of success at throughout the year.

Have you never shot a fox with a game cartridge? I have shot plenty of foxes in the past with 7 1/2's while out shooting woodcock; obviously this wouldn't be my cartridge of choice, but they were opportunist shots. Number 3's are fine as long as you are putting the load in the right place and you know your range. The 3's I would use for bolting foxes out of holes when I am quite close to them.

I have used a 7.5 clay load in the past as I was expecting squirrels and have to say the fox was very very dead, its entirely down to range. Get lucky and have one sub 20 yards pretty much any 12 bore cartridge will do the job. I'm not into long distance shooting foxes with a 12 gauge so rarely go above 4's size wise. More shot better pattern and safer if you have neighboring guns or are shooting forward on a walked up day.