Who needs a hide?

humperdingle

Went out today after the doos. For the first time, I didn't take my hide poles. Instead, I just took the decoys and a 2m x 2m piece of leaf-cut hide material.

Simply cut a hole in the middle of the material for my bonce to go through, and I wore it in a poncho stylee... Very fetching :blink:

Then sat, back to a hedgerow, and right under a sitty-tree... Half a dozen decoys out. Strong breeze in my face, but nevermind. Face-veil (some clearview net) to hide my paleface, gloves on, and sat with the gun at the ready.

Didn't take long for some action... 5 minutes, in fact. Downed the first pair with the first two shots, and another single a few minutes later. The strong wind actually seemed to be working in my favour, with pigeons flying from behind my position, and settling in the pattern.

Next 3 downed were a first for me... The semi-auto was loaded with 3 shots. About 5 birds flew over my head (again from behind) Bang...down...Bang...down Bang...down... My first ever triple

Tried to have a bite to eat half way through the 3 hour stint, but no sooner than i'd take a bite of my Ginsters pie and another pigeon flew over

Finished the day early at 2:30pm on a count of 17 woodpigeons. Another best for me. Some bloody weight in 17 adult pigeons when you have to lug them 400 yards over a ploughed field. Clearly, the pigeons weren't put off by my improvised poncho "Hide", as the closest bird hit the dirt no more than 10 yards away, and the furthest at about 35 yards.

Good afternoon's shooting until the dark clouds came. Not a huge bag by many others' standards, but my best so far.

Oh, and the decoys I used (FUDs) were slightly modified along the lines of the chap (can't remember his name) off here who did the video. I'll try to get a video up of my slightly different way of doing it. :good:

post-7127-0-32589800-1301851832.jpg

Cheers guys.

well done i saw that vid with the modified fuds they look a lot better with movement good shooting

Yeh, not half... More than a couple of times, my eyes were caught by the flashing glimpse of one of the decoys turning in the wind - Looked very effective with a bit of movement.

I'd say at least 10 out of the 17 picked birds were shot after landing, so they were certainly taken-in by the decoys. :good:

I have a camo ripstop poncho that I use like your tactics, sit back to a tree with it draped over the dog and myself. Amazing the look on their little faces..............

I did remove the poncho in the last 20 minutes or so, and just sat in the same position. Only got one unlucky pigeon in that time, and a few flew towards me, but clearly spotted me, and made a sharp exit.

Don't think i'll be lugging my hide poles about much from now on unless there is going to be someone else there too.

Went out today after the doos. For the first time, I didn't take my hide poles. Instead, I just took the decoys and a 2m x 2m piece of leaf-cut hide material.

Simply cut a hole in the middle of the material for my bonce to go through, and I wore it in a poncho stylee... Very fetching :blink:

Then sat, back to a hedgerow, and right under a sitty-tree... Half a dozen decoys out. Strong breeze in my face, but nevermind. Face-veil (some clearview net) to hide my paleface, gloves on, and sat with the gun at the ready.

Didn't take long for some action... 5 minutes, in fact. Downed the first pair with the first two shots, and another single a few minutes later. The strong wind actually seemed to be working in my favour, with pigeons flying from behind my position, and settling in the pattern.

Next 3 downed were a first for me... The semi-auto was loaded with 3 shots. About 5 birds flew over my head (again from behind) Bang...down...Bang...down Bang...down... My first ever triple

Tried to have a bite to eat half way through the 3 hour stint, but no sooner than i'd take a bite of my Ginsters pie and another pigeon flew over

Finished the day early at 2:30pm on a count of 17 woodpigeons. Another best for me. Some bloody weight in 17 adult pigeons when you have to lug them 400 yards over a ploughed field. Clearly, the pigeons weren't put off by my improvised poncho "Hide", as the closest bird hit the dirt no more than 10 yards away, and the furthest at about 35 yards.

Good afternoon's shooting until the dark clouds came. Not a huge bag by many others' standards, but my best so far.

Oh, and the decoys I used (FUDs) were slightly modified along the lines of the chap (can't remember his name) off here who did the video. I'll try to get a video up of my slightly different way of doing it. :good:

Crackin idea with the poncho there chap - must give that one a go!

Well done; for me 17 is a nice bag :)

Duncan

Humperdingle, thanks for the tip, I will try that poncho trick. There's something nice about "travelling light" when shooting.

Cheers.

Made a huge difference to me, especially as I had to park the motor a good 500 yards away. Not just the weight, but the bulk of hide poles being awkward to carry. The hide net weighs maybe 1/2 - 1 kg, hide poles a lot more.

I just put the net over me, sat down on top of the bit behind me, and tucked the front bit under my feet to stop it flapping about. Seemed to work anyway :good: