• 1"
    • Or smaller

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although it's drifted well off the original topic, this thread has been an interesting and light hearted discussion so far.

Can we please keep it that way, if it descends into the name calling and personal insult phase it will be edited and locked.

thank you for noting what is starting to happen,its a shame certain people end up doing this,i have found its when they have no where else to go with a topic and dont really understand whats there talking about,which is plain to see in this case

for those who are interested in long range shooting or would like more info on how to do it here is a good site for information from people who actually do it and do it very very well http://s6.zetaboards.com/UK_Long_Range/index/

feel free to browse the rooms and read reports and even watch videos of what can be acheived,do not be afraid to ask questions as you will be given some of the best advice around,from people who can hit small targets at very long ranges

enjoy but Gixer1 I wouldnt bother the "cant hit the barn door forum" would be best for you (banter by the way)

the poll result is quite interesting now,seems there is only a few people who are happy with a 2/4 inch group seems standards are improoving with people wanting accuracy

Edited by Ackley

thank you for noting what is starting to happen,its a shame certain people end up doing this,i have found its when they have no where else to go with a topic and dont really understand whats there talking about,which is plain to see in this case

oh lighten up, it was a joke....no harm or offence intended...as i stay in scotland, i'm going to go with the scottish theory and stick to the cheap PRVI ammo! :lol:

oh lighten up, it was a joke....no harm or offence intended...as i stay in scotland, i'm going to go with the scottish theory and stick to the cheap PRVI ammo! :lol:

so it is true the Scots are tight :lol:

do you know how copper wire was made :no:

two Scots fighting over a penny :lol::lol::P (told that joke once in a bar in Scotland full fo Scotish rugby players)

I do wish you were closer I would gladly come and educate you in accuracy and long range shooting

so it is true the Scots are tight :lol:

do you know how copper wire was made :no:

two Scots fighting over a penny :lol::lol::P (told that joke once in a bar in Scotland full fo Scotish rugby players)

I do wish you were closer I would gladly come and educate you in accuracy and long range shooting

Well next time your up to your waste in snow heli-lifting deer out let me know...you must pass my front door if your up in ness country....i'll gladly let you prove yourself wrong... :lol::lol::good:

I believe it was last year, but I'm getting old and time passes quickly so it could have been the year before.

Mr L borrowed my T3 Lite Stainless .223 straight out of the slip, to try some new home brew ammo he had knocked up on 600 yards at Bisley, £45 worth of JSR scope was zeroed at 200 yards and he simply used the Mil Dots and Flags.

10 shots total, 8 V Bulls and 2 Bulls from cold, with new ammo and a rifle and scope he was not used to!

Make of it what you will, it happened, doesn't mean everyone can do it, especially not in the field!

Think it was last year's 600 yard shoot. Remember that, was pretty happy considering...

I believe it was last year, but I'm getting old and time passes quickly so it could have been the year before.

Mr L borrowed my T3 Lite Stainless .223 straight out of the slip, to try some new home brew ammo he had knocked up on 600 yards at Bisley, £45 worth of JSR scope was zeroed at 200 yards and he simply used the Mil Dots and Flags.

10 shots total, 8 V Bulls and 2 Bulls from cold, with new ammo and a rifle and scope he was not used to!

Make of it what you will, it happened, doesn't mean everyone can do it, especially not in the field!

...and to continue with the willy waving, I hit my 9 dart finish, or my 147 or whatever it would be in shooting terms yesterday.

Don't know what I have done to deserve it but St Hubert seemed to looking over my shoulder for most of the day.

Finally shot 100/100 including 8/10 10* bulls

As before £200 CZ rifle and £10/box factory ammo

IMO it's a proper field shooting test so I very happy with that.

static test.jpg

if St Hubert is watching over you does this mean you are a member of his club?

They must think I fit the profile of an ideal member - although to be fair they were desperate for new members a while ago.

The reason I say that is I have had the 'you must join' pitch about half a dozen times from their members, once in a captive audience situation (sat next to me on a plane) once from the membership secretary and then the last time from main man at the game fair - and I still can't see the point of it :no:

the mere mention of St Hubert always makes me laugh and remember when Mungler voiced his views on the Stalking directory nearly got banned and worked out their sense of humour on the subject was hovering just below zero. Twas pure gold

About sixty years ago my mentor taught me -

Rabbit - Ping-pong ball

Fox - tennis ball

Deer (muntjac and chinese water deer hadn't been invented then)- Football

That will cope with most heart or head shots.

If you cannot guarantee the shot with your weapon, in the conditions you have got, at the range you are looking at - THEN DON'T TAKE THE SHOT!

Seemed to work then - still does.

Good point... No nice neat black circle to aim at!

One thing I will say... I've seen a couple of comments linking group size to recoil... This is wholly incorrect.. By the time the muzzle has started to move after firing and your brain registers the recoil, the projectile is well on it's way to the target. Recoil has absolutely no effect on group size.

Well it's not often I disagree with you but....

I think it does, and there's a lot of talk out there on the 'net that suggests the same. It's not that the rifle recoil puts the shots off, as even if it did it would consistently put it off by the same amount. Rather (I at least) find it impossible to settle into a dead steady hold and gently ease the trigger when I know I'm going to get a damned uncomfortable smack in the chops for my troubles! Call it a flinch, I guess it kind of is a mild one - but whatever it is I can't get that hold quite as steady on the big stuff and I'm not alone.

Re my previous post I only shoot at rabbits unsupported (no rest) at sub 80 yds and mostly go for a thorax shot and in 98% of cases kill instantly.

Dont shoot at foxes except off a home made tripod (heavy varmint rifle), this gives the capability to shoot sub inch groups at up to 150yds. Last 2 foxes shot with this method by different shooters included -chest shot at 130 yds approx an eighth of an inch off target, the second a fox at 125 yds was a eighth of an inch low and and an eighth left - instant kill as the target was the centre of the eye line. I have shot a friends .308 and managed a group of 2" at 100 yds unsupported but the gun was a good un. I dont think this accuracy is much different to everyone else but there will be a lot better, as I dont find breath control too easy.

Cheers

wow thats very presise :lol::lol: how the hell did you know it was a eighth of a inch off on a dead fox

well done Dunkield old boy - was a pleasure to see you hit the holy 100 - i'm frustratingly still on 97...

it's the elbows on the bench that throws me, i can't seem to get used to shooting that way!

Still good shooting Nick, but a dog would seem a good investment for a couple of those ;)