What exactly do the Royal Family do?

huffhuff

Hi guys,

I'm not an anti-royalist, I genuinely do not know the answer. I am not trying to incite anger or argument.

I just had a brief conversation at the lunch table that started with;

"...are you going to watch the Royal Wedding". My answer was "nope, doesn't interest me".

My co-worker said I should as it is a Royal Wedding. I asked her to qualify why. She didn't really have an answer. Three of them couldn't even really tell me what exactly the Royal Family do. The most we got was attending various functions, national and international relations. The Queen being a figure head, Prince Charles and all of his charity work. One said he is a "King in waiting..." which I appreciate. Now, it's not like the old days where he's going to jump up onto his dashing white steed and lead a band of merry men into battle with his sword drawn and shield glistening in the sunlight...or is it? But more in a paper pushy kind of way?!? I think the Queen is also the head of the Church of England...what does that entail? I imagine (forgive my naivety) she also has something to do with the running of the country? Does this mean she personally see's and signs off on all bills that pass in Government?

I then wondered if we pay the Royal Family? No real answer there either. Are we also stumping up cash for the Wedding? If we do pay them, then how much? Is it enough to warrant the charity/volunteer work that's done thus rendering it a bit of a farse?

Again, not wanting to cause a fight. I genuinely do not know and would like to. I imagine there is lots they do behind the scenes as it were.

Ta muchly

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behind every overseas Royal visit, there is an entourage of business people, who work get contracts, earning money for this country. These would never probably happen if the visit wasn't on.

The income the Royal family generates in tourism, is another. They do have their own income, but I think, what money the family generates, is far more than the Royal allowance.

There is probably more to be added by others on here :yes:

The Yanks would love to buy her :D

Behind every overseas Royal visit, there is an entourage of business people, who work get contracts, earning money for this country. These would never probably happen if the visit wasn't on.

The income the Royal family generates in tourism, is another. They do have their own income, but I think, what money the family generates, is far more than the Royal allowance.

There is probably more to be added by others on here :yes:

The Yanks would love to buy her :D

Yes, we've just seen Andrew make a right **** of himself by associating himself with some multi millionaire paedophile whilst 'generating business'.

Their main concern is themselves and maintaining their own status in my opinion.

cor blimey.... the royal family and the monarchy are resposible (indirectly) for the status of this country on the world stage, for a huge amount of foreign trade and directly for a massive amount of tourism in the UK.

We would be FAR worse off without them... And no I'm not a royalist... I'm a realist. :yes:

If you ask anyone from a foreign country who the head of Britain is, they will say the queen, not the Prime Minister, she is our equivalent of the US President, and whilst she no longer has (or really wants) any real power, the Prime Minister and the government are effectively just her servants... Cameron is not on the same standing as Obama or other world leaders, the queen is.

Edited by Vipa

If you ask anyone from a foreign country who the head of Britain is, they will say the queen, not the Prime Minister, she is our equivalent of the US President, and whilst she no longer has (or really wants) any real power, the Prime Minister and the government are effectively just her servants... Cameron is not on the same standing as Obama or other world leaders, the queen is.

This is true to the fact that even recently didn't Gadaffi question why he should have to give up power when no-one is questioning the queens reign over Britain :huh:

regardless of how much tourisim cash they generate,they are an outdated extravigence we can't afford.I'm sure they have enough personal wealth that would allow them to stand on thier own two feet.

We couldn't afford the drop in national income without them! A timely and real example.... how many BILLIONS in cash do you think will pour into the country from home and abroad because of the Royal wedding... that one event will generate more revenue for the UK as a whole than the public purse will pay out for decades to come!

And, le's get facts straight here, most of the Royals are perfectly capable of standing on their own 2 feet, the dutchy of cornwall, as an easy example, is a profitable business, so, all the way up to the Prince of Wales. Most of the public purse spending is on the upkeep of national treasures and palaces which would need to be paid for anyway or are you suggesting we tear down the monarchy and just let all the property decay and crumble?

The Royal family and the monarchy, their symbolism, history and international standing generate immesurably more wealth for this country than the public purse shells out each year!

Edited by Vipa

We couldn't afford the drop in national income without them! A timely and real example.... how many BILLIONS in cash do you think will pour into the country from home and abroad because of the Royal wedding... that one event will generate more revenue for the UK as a whole than the public purse will pay out for decades to come!

And, le's get facts straight here, most of the Royals are perfectly capable of standing on their own 2 feet, the dutchy of cornwall, as an easy example, is a profitable business, so, all the way up to the Prince of Wales. Most of the public purse spending is on the upkeep of national treasures and palaces which would need to be paid for anyway or are you suggesting we tear down the monarchy and just let all the property decay and crumble?

The Royal family and the monarchy, their symbolism, history and international standing generate immesurably more wealth for this country than the public purse shells out each year!

Why do they go cap in hand to the government every time they want repairs to one of thier castles or palaces ?

Why do they go cap in hand to the government every time they want repairs to one of thier castles or palaces ?

Who's castles or palaces???? I think you will find they belong to you and I my friend,... the queen and the monarchy just have permanent approval to use and live in them but as for ownership... that passed to the state quite some time ago... therefore, damned right she goes cap in hand to the owners... just like any other tennant would... the landlord is responsible for the upkeep, not the tennant!

Edited by Vipa

Who's castles or palaces???? I think you will find they belong to you and I my friend,... the queen and the monarchy just have permanent approval to use and live in them but as for ownership... that passed to the state quite some time ago... therefore, damned right she goes cap in hand to the owners... just like any other tennant would... the landlord is responsible for the upkeep, not the tennant!

Who owns Sandringham and Balmoral, etc :hmm:

Who owns Sandringham and Balmoral, etc :hmm:

Crown Estates

Whilst the crown estate is managed by an independent body it is infact on behalf of the government. The crown estate is effectively leased to the government from the Queen in a contract that is renewed on every monarchs ascension since George III. In effect, if Charles decides not to renew this agreement he will lose the civil list payment but regain control of the crown estate and its £7bn portfolio.

(pinched from Wiki Answers)

Yes, signing off the Lisbon Treaty is one example.

That didn't do much for this country or our ability to govern our own affairs, did it :hmm:

The queen didn't sign off on that, she has no power to do so... that was just another brown/new labour ****-up

The Queen works tirelessly for this country and generates far more in income for the country than she costs.

From what I've heard, she works more hours in a day week than most people do in this country.

Edited by Billy.

From what I've heard, she works more hours in a day week than most people do in this country.

yup and has done for 60 plus years, no sign of her retiring some parts of them are an example of hard work. The Queen Mother grew up on the same estate as me and used to visit yearly, never tired of talking to everyone always friendly. I'd hate to have to go from one public engagement to another with the press on your back all the time.

They also are pretty active field sports supporters which is a plus point in my book

I am on the fence regarding the royals, I do agree that they bring a lot of income (and that the Queen etc genuinely do a lot of 'good works') - and it's not that they have much of a choice really.

But one thing that puzzles me is; when the subject of abolishing the monarchy is discussed someone always pipes up and says something like, 'oh well then we'd have to have a president...'

Why would we? Why can't a Prime Minister be the 'head of state,' if you even need one??