Raffle for the PW Charity Shoot

Teal

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live locally, but can't make the shooting is it ok to pop up on the day to buy some raffle tickets ??

Regards

Willlow32

I can't speak for Teal (organiser) but in my humble opinion we would be foolish to turn you away, the object of the day is to raise money for an extremely relevant and worthwhile good cause. Unless there is a late flurry on the Justgiving page (which I sincerely hope there is) our last hope to raise cash is the raffle.

Mr Potter

I can't speak for Teal (organiser) but in my humble opinion we would be foolish to turn you away, the object of the day is to raise money for an extremely relevant and worthwhile good cause. Unless there is a late flurry on the Justgiving page (which I sincerely hope there is) our last hope to raise cash is the raffle.

Mr Potter

Mr P,

The raffle this year as last year, is probably one of the most contentious matters.

Some might say that you can't expect to take part in a raffle for shoot entrants if you aren't a shoot entrant.

One thing we can all agree on is that it is a good cause and that you can't please all the people all the time :rolleyes::lol::good:

Edited by ME

Mr Potter

i am with you on this mr potter :good:

you pop up to sporting targets saterday and i will buy some for you, we need all the money we can get for the charity. :good:

Surely if you are going to buck the system, then he may as well just buy his own?

It's all for charity... Personally, I would not be bothered by a non entrant buying raffle tickets. He is a pigeon watch member, not a complete random.

It is a good idea bakerboy, however there were some reasons why we didn't go down that route. On Saturday in the raffle, with a winning ticket you will get to choose the item that they want from the ones available.

If the ticket owner wasn't at the event it would be difficult to guess which prize they wanted unless everyone provided a list of desired items, and also for a lot of items won it would mean that someone would have to take them home, package them up and post them off at considerable time and expense.

The best bet if someone who is not able to attend the day wants to buy some raffle tickets is they should message a member who is going, ideally from their part of the world, and see if they would be prepared to get them a few on the day. I know that is what a couple of people are doing. There really are some first rate prizes on offer, so hopefully plenty of tickets will be purchased at the ground :good:

teal, if you let the winning ticket choose his prize in the raffle, guess what will happen they will pick the most expensive item there. i think the raffle tickets should be sold for the prize item on offer.

???

teal, if you let the winning ticket choose his prize in the raffle, guess what will happen they will pick the most expensive item there. i think the raffle tickets should be sold for the prize item on offer.

???

When I normally do raffles, I stick a ticket on each of the prizes at random. So if you pull that number, you get that prize. As BLACK-GUN says, all the good stuff goes first. I guess there is the possibility of pulling a gift that is of no use or too far away...

Its usual for raffle prizes to be in varying values and anyone whose ticket is the first one drawn would naturally expect to win the "best" prize.

If the first drawn takes first pick and the second drawn takes second pick, etc., then everyone's aspirations should be satisfied.

I think that by allocating numbers to prizes and then drawing to see who has won those prizes its more like Tombola, than a Raffle.

I used to run raffles and also run competitions with article prizes for many years. The first winner drawn or highest scorer gets first dibs on what's on offer and it is surprising that what is seen by some as the 'best' prize isn't always taken first despite it perhaps having the greater monetary value. This often happens when the shooter's wife is in attendance at the prize giving and she has a say in what prize is collected by her better half :o

so what happens if you win a days tuition in the north of England but you live in Cornwall?

Agreed 100% Nick,

The raffle on the day is just perfect, you get your ticket drawn, you go up and chose your prize, a slab of clay carts isn't any good to a dedicated pigeon shooter and vice versa. A size medium shooting vest ain't going to much of a prize for someone of my "larger" frame.

I have thought all along that we could maximise returns from the raffle by opening up to non attendees. It would need to be very carefully worked out but an initial idea is to identify the higher value items which either are easy to post or are worth the winner paying the carriage for and raffling them on-line as individual items.

Lets make a success of this coming Saturday by a] Enjoying ourselves and b] digging deep when buying the raffle tickets but be warned, the Potters are lucky!!!

Mr Potter

The suggestion was not aimed at disrupting this event, but hopefully earning more at future events.

With time to think about what we can do, and the collective wisdom and brains of Pigeon Watch, I am sure we can come up with something that will work and please everyone.

Terry

ps

maybe the "moths" can do someting for us

so what happens if you win a days tuition in the north of England but you live in Cornwall?

Auction the prize on the forum.

Speak with the member who offered it to see if it can be transferred.

I have offered a shooting lesson in Harlow for this event, if the winner is from up North, I would be happy to pay for the event to take place more locally to the winner.

There will always be exceptions, and this is why we need the forth coming months to debate whether or not this is a feasable/practical suggestion.

If not I will think of another way to make money for "the days chosen charity", I love making money for charities, I find it rewarding and challenging

Shut your cake / pie hole, Bakerboy (giggles)

Seriously though it's the Northeners that did/do all of the bleating about raffles and tickets. This was because of the poor conversion rate between the Northern and Southern pound. Some members from Liverpool had to careful budget on the number of cars to rob so as to make the day work.

Get on! It's neatly bender o'clock (in the drinking and not the Suffolk sense).

gents , been on the scrounge to the suzuki area sales manager today .

he is sending me a rizla paddok jacket in the post on monday . dont know size but its very blue !

please add this as a prize ,in token form so it can be posted later .

from memory they dont do extra fat boy sizes so im guesing it will be a large .ive tried to get stuff before !!!

see you all saturday

adi

P.S. just noticed the debate about raffle tickets. This year the raffle tickets will be available to anyone there on the day. This means if non-shooters, the scorers etc.. wants to buy tickets then they are more than welcome to, and will hopefully help to raise further money for the Orchid Cancer Charity. :good:

are you selling tickets to members that cant attend? you could send the prize to them get them to pay postage?just a thought.You could get em to pay for tickets on paypal

How we are running the Raffle this year is as follows:

This year the raffle tickets will be available to anyone there on the day. This means if non-shooters, the scorers etc.. wants to buy tickets then they are more than welcome to, and will hopefully help to raise further money for the Orchid Cancer Charity.

Any discussion about formats for future years should be reserved until after the event :good:

I have removed a few posts about it, to keep things on topic and about the excellent prizes available on the day!