sgc visit

pauly-j

i've just had a call from the police, interview set for monday the 18th at 1600hrs. is there anything i need to know before i open my big mouth.

Just had mine this morning,

Was just something of a chat about safety aspects of gun handling, safe shots and not taking unsafe shots ie no backstops.

Didn't get the idea they're out to trip you up, just get a measure of your character and level of common sense.

Chatted about what I'd realistically be allowed and what I'd applied for (in my case both the same), clarification on a couple of medical points.

Checked cabinet and security arrangements and security awareness, discussed storage requirements for ammo, bolt and 'long arm'(rifle) and how it differs from Shotgun cartridges.

Then went through the two different certificates and the conditions on each and the differences between the two and explanation of how they work regarding buying/selling weapons.

That was about it I think. :good:

Mine asked what shooting experiance I had, where I had shot. Its basically a informal chat to see what you are like in person, where t5he cabinate islocated and secured if not already checked. Had I any lessons or were planning to have lessons and where.

They will advise you if they think your house security could do with improving.

Gun safety came into play specially the handling / storing of 20 and 12 bore cartridges together and why its advised not to store them together.

It was all done in a relxed manor and was easy to talk to and if I had any questions he would answer them.

My cabinates location had been previously agreed and fitted with its door open (as first time inspection and had no guns) in readiness for his inspection.

Key location came up and no one was to know where the key/s were stored.

Have your cabinet installed so he wont have to make a second visit.It all saves time and as said be honest.

Mine said, don't install a cabinet prior to visit as it gives an impression of being presumptious!

They asked me about my experience, any lessons, why and what I wanted a gun for and that was about it.

Mine was brilliant, she came in, introduced her self, checked the cabinet, I brewed the tea, answered a few questions - why I want it, where I'm going to use it and some friendly banter! She asked me to sign a few things and finished off with normal chat. Really nice lady and got my application sent off pronto! Just be honest and if you have any questions don't hesitate to call them! :good::good: :good:

All depends on the individual officer really. Ive dealt with 3 different firearms officers in the past when originally applying for my license and subsequent renewals or moving houses. The first 2 didnt even ask to see the Cabinet, or check it was securely bolted to the house. Whereas the 3rd one was much more thorough and wanted to check the cabinet to see if it was secure and actually looked at all my guns and ticked them off the list they had.

All 3 asked what I used them for and where I used them, who else lived in the house with me and that was about it really. They have all been very friendly and more than helpful people to deal with, so its certainly nothing to worry about at all.

Its not like a job interview where you have to worry about giving the wrong answers or anything like that. Just be your self. If you plan to do clay shooting, checkout the local places near you first, then you can ask the officers opinions on them, which shows you have done some research. Maybe ask his advice on which are the best places locally. Same with gunshops. All shows him you are serious etc.