PC protection

Lampwick

My Kaspersky licence runs out next week and they want £30 to renew!

It cost me £22 last year.

Any ideas as to best options? Not too sure re the free ones but I may be wrong?

I'm not at all IT savy but think I'm looking for internet anti virus protection.

Cheers

Shippy

Hi

I use AVAST - a free antivirus; it has protected my PC for about 4 years now and by signing up again periodically it has always been free.

It obviously works, as its picked up all sorts of nasties and has a virus database which is regularly updated and keeps pace with the types of new virus on the net.

I would absolutely recommend it and use it every day.

Cheers and good luck

My Kaspersky licence runs out next week and they want £30 to renew!

It cost me £22 last year.

Any ideas as to best options? Not too sure re the free ones but I may be wrong?

I'm not at all IT savy but think I'm looking for internet anti virus protection.

Cheers

Shippy

Hi,

As Darren says 'AVG' free is ok and has served me well for several years.Got 'Norton Security' with new PC and could'nt wait to take it off and go back to AVG free. Just make sure you load the free version.

Edited by Good shot?

AVG or Avira for Anti Virus, Avast is good but can slow some PCs down

Ad-Aware for resident Malware protection

MalwareBytes for Malware detection and removal, also removes fake Anti Virus and Security malware

All free and can be found at http://download.cnet.com/windows/most-popular/3101-20_4-0.html?tag=rb_content;main

Having worked in IT for the past eight years I can agree with the other lads avg free is what I install for all my friends and family and it has never failed me. It may also be worth while install a program called malware bytes and running it once a month also free software :) cheers Matty

AVG obviously works for many users but I found it inneffective and had to have my PC reconfigured twice in 6 months because it let through unwanted Trojans.

I use ESET SMART after reccommendation by our IT provider at work and several other It "experts"

I must say for £20 quid a year its brilliant...works away in the background and you wouldnt know it was there...

You pays your money and takes your choice, I am however always sceptical about anything free..but I suppose thats just me. :lol:

I think it's like most things - everyone has their favourites as those suit them well. Unfortunately, the update and maintenance of all anti-virus software has to be reactive i.e. a new virus gets released, then the a/v vendors must get their signature updates in place quickly, tested and made available to the users. Some seem to be better than others at this never-ending cycle.

Each of us should have 3 things to protect our home systems-

1) Anti-virus software e.g. AVG, Avast

2) Anti-malware software e.g. AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malware Bytes

3) Firewall - mostly done by your broadband router nowadays, or Windows, or you can get something like Zone Alarm.

You can use a site such as Shields Up, linked here, to simulate an attack on your PC to see how vulnerable you are.