One Shot Zero

ellebarto

Oh silly me 'missing the point'...Does anyone have an opinion on this (without taking the **** out of my basic zeroing ability) and more importantly suggest a decently priced rifle clamp/rest whatever you want to call it. I have some sand bag rests but they dont hold the rile anywhere near enough to let me tweak the scope dials without moving the rifle!

and yes the one shot zero method works!

Highlander

You seem to be missing the point. This is a discussion on the one shot zero method and does/will it work not on the best way to zero.

In order to test the theory of this method of "one shot zero" one has to be able to keep the rifle perfectly still and supported with the X hairs on the aim point whilst one adjusts the scope to the point of impact. I used a workmate as it was the only thing I could think of at the time i tested the theory. Although I clamped the rifle in the workmate to make the shot, hence using an HMR I later realised that one actually does not need to clamp the rifle to make the shot only to adjust the scope. By firing off one shot at the target one then only needs to clamp the rifle with the X hairs on the aim point then adjust them to the point of impact. If the rifle does not move during this phase it the scope will be zeroed spot on.

I will try this out later on with my .243 to see how it works with a c/f.

It's all fun you see !!

Edited by Highlander

I must admit the theory is fine but in practice unless you know the rifle, shooter and ammo will group consistently it's just guess work and you could be there all day.

My preferred method is to concentrate on being able to group shots, usually in 3's then, and only then, adjust the scope to match the centre point of the group. Then finer adjustments can be made if needed.

Right, following Highlanders suggestion of sandbags I've just come back in from the garden after a play with the .243.

I put a spare scope on it and put out a sheet of paper, with a felt tip X, at 100 yds. Set up the workmate and put a sand bag on top. Bore sighted the scope and then fired one shot at the target. I then took the sandbag off the workmate and clamped the rifle in it lining up the X hairs on the target X. Then I adjusted the X hairs to line up with the point of impact, removed the rifle from the workmate put the bag back on and fired a shots which was spot on the mark. I could not believe it so fired a 3 shot group and yes they were on. Try it.........you will be amazed. A 1 shot zero.