New to this forum

ffeighty

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum (obviously), I'm 27 and I come from Belgium. I mostly hunt pheasants with my springer during the season (rough and driven shooting), and I'd like to start shooting pigeons during the off-season. It's not the first time I visit this forum, as I've found quite a lot of useful info on other topics than pigeon shooting in the past (clay shooting, some gun advice, etc). In a few words: it's one of the rare forums about country sports that I've found to be interesting enough to register to. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I can contribute much to most topics discussed here, as I'm surely not a top shot (yet :yp:) nor a "pigeon guru", but I'll surely put all the info I can get on how to make my pigeon shooting trips successful to good use.

Looking forward to read you all!

PS: don't hesitate to correct my English, as it's far from being my native language! :oops:

Hi ffeighty and the warmest of welcomes - good to have someone else from the continent.

I agree this forum is one of few worthy registering with. If you need any help anytime, send me a PM and I'll help if I can.

Best regards, Kes

ffeighty, out of interest is there a lot of pigeon shooting in Belgium? Is it mainly decoying, flighting or roost shooting? Are you in French or Dutch speaking Belgium?

There's not a lot of shooting at all. It's a small country, and only about 0.5% of the population is involved in game hunting / pest control.

I wouldn't say there are more or less pigeons than anywhere else on the continent, as it really depends from region to region. There is quite a lot of roost shooting towards the end of the season until the end of the winter. There's some decoying here and there, and the odd flight line camper (which would be me :rolleyes: ).

I don't really know how it works in the UK, but here pest control on a land is the duty of the person who owns the hunting rights on said land. If there's damage to crops for example, and the farmer can prove it's because the owner of the hunting rights didn't do his part, the farmer can (and will) get some financial compensation for the damage done. One of the issues we have here is that the only person who can authorize someone to do some pest control on a land is the owner of the hunting rights, not the farmer (even if it's his own land), so it's really difficult to get an authorization.

To answer your second question: I'm in the middle (Brussels), so I'm neither even though I speak both languages. Yeah I know, weird country. :yes: