Burger press

njc110381

Hey guys. I'm after a burger press but I want something decent. All the ones I find are either plastic or little hand press jobbies. Can you get a proper butchers lever press for sensible money anywhere? I hate cheap kit!

I just got outbid on one on Ebay. A proper butchers shop cast iron old school thing. I went up to £70 - can't really justify going over that!

Nick
:no::lol:

I don't really know how many I'm making, but not many. Just for home use so what would I get from Deer scraps? Twenty maybe? I just like decent kit rather than having to fight with a little hand press jobbie that needs serious effort to get a really neat burger. I'm assuming it's hard, otherwise the pro ones wouldn't have a foot long lever hanging off the side!

HDAV, I do pass Bristol now and again. I'll look them up. Thanks.

I've got a Spong mincer. It's not great to be honest so my advice would be to get a fairly large one if you're going to buy one. Mine needs the meat to be cut into inch wide strips to feed well which is a right ball ache.

they aint hard to make/ need loads of force to form them ive made thousands if not tens of thousands at the farm shop with a single press one, you will need sheets too to go with it but dont drop them for christs sake, a certian farmers son decided to throw 1000 infront of a fan and blame it one me 20 mins later i was sacked

Try popping into gloucester, there is a very good butchers supplies shop called g.b.davies.Try giving them a call they may have what you are after. They also do lots of sausage mixes and the like. If you have any problems with them because you are not trade give me a shout and I will tell them you work for us. www.gbdavies.co.uk/.

nick

Thanks for that Nick. I'll give them a ring. I've decided I need a new mincer too and am looking at the Porkert #12. That'll fire through 3.5lb per minute so is pretty handy. I recon mine will do 1-2lb at the most and it needs to be cut small.

Dave, if you want to have a go with mine as a starter before buying something you're welcome to mine when I upgrade? I would recommend bigger, but if you want to try it to prove that to yourself before spending money that's an easy way to do it!

I think I'm going to end up with a little hand press. It would do for my needs. The cooking ring and a spoon thing is what I do now and it's hard! I'd like at least a little press as once I get into it there's a chance I could end up making more. I would make more now but what with the cooking ring, spoon and my mincer I usually end up just chopping stewing meat and leaving it at that!

• 2 weeks later...

lem 4.5" BURGER PRESS FROM BUSHWEAR ...ITS BOMBPROOF!!!

had mine for 4 yrs and still like new metal not plastic..takes up little room easy to use dont need to bounce on it or huge muscles!!! must have had near a hundred deer carcasses thru mine now!!!!

only thing is you need the cellophane burger discs with it or you end up bunged up with mince and burgers go all to hell......i but 5" ones from weschenfelder.co.uk not expensive

buy it you wont regret it!!!

i also bought my EI YOUNG electric mincer form them its ace too...semi professional but was 150 quid!!!

you get em appearing in Lidls now n again for bout 30 quid...keep yer eyes open they are worth every penny

ps im nowt to do with bushwear....i find em expensive but i could not find that exact LEM burger press anywhere else......buy it ...like i said ...wont regret it

sauer /paul

like highseas says they arent difficult,i too work in a farm shop,and with a single press one,can do about 60 burgers in about 30 seconds,try a company called DALZIEL, ill try to get a link,better still ill TRY to get one at a good price if youre interested,i could send it to you,but again dont forget the paper discs...

DAZ

Edited by rabbiter