What calibre?

ilovemyheckler

12ft lb!

A .177 is NO more accurate than a .22.

It simply shoots flatter so you don't need to judge distance QUITE so accurately!

The .22 carries it's energy FAR better than a .177 and makes a bigger hole.

The .22 is likely to impart ALL it's energy in most quarry whereas a .177 may well pass through more often, therfore wasting energy.

.177 on rats is head or forget, .22 they die anywhere.....but a .25 is the ideal ratter!

The choice is yours!

That is the point though, the words judge and flatter trag on a sub 12ft lb is key as with the general lack of power you have to hit head shot or no clean kill.

I used to swear blind the .22 was the better but then I tried the .177 and that was that.

I know I know it is the shooter that holds the key to shooting but I personally prefer to go for the .177 so I would say try both, then make you choice as at the end of the day if you have confidence in the gun the rest is easy!

And I totally agree, the .22 does impart enegy better but then .177 in the head still makes them jump a little and I find tissue damage from the .177 far more agressive, now that is just me but someone might know the reason.

12ft lb!

It simply shoots flatter so you don't need to judge distance QUITE so accurately!

The .22 is likely to impart ALL it's energy in most quarry whereas a .177 may well pass through more often, therfore wasting energy. Really! at what distance. I have never had "over penetration!" even on kits!

.177 on rats is head or forget, .22 they die anywhere.....but a .25 is the ideal ratter!

The choice is yours!

12ft lb!

The .22 is likely to impart ALL it's energy in most quarry whereas a .177 may well pass through more often, therfore wasting energy. Really! at what distance. I have never had "over penetration!" even on kits!

Come on, I thought that was clear enough. :good:

The choice is yours!

Edited by Dekers

That is the point though, the words judge and flatter trag on a sub 12ft lb is key as with the general lack of power you have to hit head shot or no clean kill.

I used to swear blind the .22 was the better but then I tried the .177 and that was that.

I know I know it is the shooter that holds the key to shooting but I personally prefer to go for the .177 so I would say try both, then make you choice as at the end of the day if you have confidence in the gun the rest is easy!

And I totally agree, the .22 does impart enegy better but then .177 in the head still makes them jump a little and I find tissue damage from the .177 far more agressive, now that is just me but someone might know the reason.

Not necessarily so, the .22 makes a bigger hole and can deliver more energy therfore, you do not necessarily have to place it "QUITE" so accurately.

There is often a trade off and like I say the choice is yours.

And all this business of MUST go for a head shot is bull, even with a 12 ft lb. Yes, they tend to work, but a 12ft lb has plenty of energy to stop assorted quarry with other placement! :good:

If you hit something at a sensible range in the right spot its dead no matter .177 or .22 personsly after hunting with both calibers i would go for .177 that's all great until you have a crosswind if using light pellets .. .22 is slightly more air effiant as it takes more air to shift a .177 pellet so you get about an extra 10 accurate shots per Fill

I have not had coffee yet and hope that I do not make a complete idiot of myself by saying this but don't sub 12ftlb air rifles kick out the same power whether .177 or .22 :hmm:

The power is fixed, say 11ftlbs, and if this is squirted into a light .177 it will fly fast and flat but if squirted into a larger and heavier .22 it will fly slower with a more loopy trajectory.

Presumably, on condition that the pellet stays in the animal and does not pass though, all that energy will be discharged into the animal and the amount of energy will be the same whether .177 or .22 ?

That is not to say that the wound channel will be the same as the pellet diameter and velocity will make a difference, just the energy is the same.

I have not had coffee yet and hope that I do not make a complete idiot of myself by saying this but don't sub 12ftlb air rifles kick out the same power whether .177 or .22 :hmm:

The power is fixed, say 11ftlbs, and if this is squirted into a light .177 it will fly fast and flat but if squirted into a larger and heavier .22 it will fly slower with a more loopy trajectory.

Presumably, on condition that the pellet stays in the animal and does not pass though, all that energy will be discharged into the animal and the amount of energy will be the same whether .177 or .22 ?

That is not to say that the wound channel will be the same as the pellet diameter and velocity will make a difference, just the energy is the same.

YES and NO!

In principle if we assume both your .177 and .22 start at EXACTLY the same muzzle energy then the .22 will be carrying more of it at the time of arrival.

Heavier pellets/bullets carry energy better (let's not get too deep into BC here).

So, the .22 carries its energy better, makes a bigger hole, and tends to impart all of its energy into quarry (stays in) more often than .177, which will pass through some quarry at times.

Run some pellets through some ballistic programs and you will see the difference in energy retention, we are not necessarily talking big differences here but at 12ft lb we are talking significant %, and energy is not all the equation as you have intimated, the size of the would channel can be a significant factor!

Lots to consider all round, and the .177/.22 debate will not be resolved in this thread! :no::no:

HELLO

ONE MORE POINT THAT I THINK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ADD IN FAVOUR OF 177,

.177 TRAVEL A LOT FASTER THAN .22 AT 12 FT/LB

SO WHEN THE SHOT IS FIRED THE

QUARRY HAS LESS TIME TO MOVE AFTER HEARING THE SHOT,

SO MORE CHANCE OF AN ACCURATE HIT.

CHEERS......................................

If I had to choose one sub 12ftlb aire then I would go .177 PCP zeroed at 30 yrds.

Only issue with this is ratting you can get an over penetration issue but only if you miss the head,,,,

Me too with the exception of zero at 37 yards, but I'm an old hand with lots of FT and zillions of practise shots under my belt.

30 is advisable when you're starting out, for definite.

Me too with the exception of zero at 37 yards, but I'm an old hand with lots of FT and zillions of practise shots under my belt.

30 is advisable when you're starting out, for definite.

Sounds like you're not a stranger to Chairgun either ;)

37 yards is the perfect zero range for a light .177 pellet, IMO.

Sounds like you're not a stranger to Chairgun either ;)

37 yards is the perfect zero range for a light .177 pellet, IMO.

Actually, I never tried chairgun. But my 8.4grain aa field 4.52's poi is never more than 1/2 inch from the crosshairs between about 17 and 42 yards through my 'perfect' HW100S - makes for easy bunny bopping through the cranium :yes: Feels almost like cheating compared to using .22's like I used to.

For me, this was through good ole trial and error :blink:

Edited by The Duncan

Having used both for hunting I say 177 yes a 22 gives more energy on the strike and like some say a bigger hole ,but since with a non fac air rifle you really should be going for head shots only I can confirm without doubt a small hole through the head is just as lethal as a big one !!!!