ease of getting fac and centerfire rifle

i have a few large permissions that had grand plans to apply for my fac with but most of the owners say they would like me to get a bit more experience with my rifles once ive got them before shooting on there land :unsure: but im part of a syndicate pheasant shoot, which is approx 160 acres, i know someone who used to shoot there with a .243, so i know it should be ok for anything up to that :good: but its the only shoot that i could put down to shoot over for a while, could this ruin my chances of gettin an fac? also i only want/need one rifle, but its going to be a centerfire :hmm: as its only ever going to be used for foxes, i still havent decided whether to try for a .222 or a .223, would it be easier to get a .222? all help appreciated :good:

Either CF will be the same to apply for, but the .222 will be flatter shooting.

If you already have an SGC you are half way there (cabinet in place and security established), but the process is the same for all new applications.

if they are both the same to get i think i'll go for the .223 as my rfd stocks a much greater choice of ammo, am i likely to get it granted as it would be my first rifle :/ but there is loads of foxes over that particular farm then alot more once i can use it over the other farms

i have a few large permissions that had grand plans to apply for my fac with but most of the owners say they would like me to get a bit more experience with my rifles once ive got them before shooting on there land :unsure: but im part of a syndicate pheasant shoot, which is approx 160 acres, i know someone who used to shoot there with a .243, so i know it should be ok for anything up to that :good: but its the only shoot that i could put down to shoot over for a while, could this ruin my chances of gettin an fac? also i only want/need one rifle, but its going to be a centerfire :hmm: as its only ever going to be used for foxes, i still havent decided whether to try for a .222 or a .223, would it be easier to get a .222? all help appreciated :good:

So many questions you ask, which aint a problemb but there are a few you don't which are more pertaining.

Firstly just because somebody used a .243" on the syndicate doesn't mean its been inspected for firearms use or that its ok up to that calibre. Experianced users are often on an "open" ticket which means we deem were suitable and were is not. In fact nowere is actually safe to use a centrefire rifle regardless of calibre it is the shot taken that matters. As for a better chance at a .222 over the .223 etc - forget it the difference is so small as to be discounted on any safety grounds at least. The type of bullet used is the more important factor not if it travels marginly faster and yet again " the shot taken"

As for one shoot of 160 acres ruining your chances i doubt it as you can shoot over the boundries on any land- back to the same old "its the shot taken". .223 rem is deffo the best starter calibre for a beginer as ammo and guns are easy to obtain and it is Fox capable beyond the limits of that which most will take the shot.

If you already posses a shotgun you have passed the first test of suitability and if you have land for foxing also the second. Experiance can only be gained with time though, but might i suggest you gen up a bit on things like maximum bullet travel, suitable safe and unsafe shots etc. The help of an experianced user can be of great help here, tell us were you are and someone might help out :good:

Either CF will be the same to apply for, but the .222 will be flatter shooting.

If you already have an SGC you are half way there (cabinet in place and security established), but the process is the same for all new applications.

No it won't it is the slower of the two :rolleyes:

No it won't it is the slower of the two :rolleyes:

Note to self, always read twice before posting. :blush:

I went through all the options before I chose the calibre for fox, and evetually picked the .223 as it is a 1000yd rifle for targets (with the right twist), and I was going to reload for it anyway.

The .222 is cheaper to reload for, as it uses less powder, but if you are just shooting a few foxes, ie less than 200 rounds a year, then the cost of ammo, and the quality of it will not be a major issue, as anything that groups to around 1" will be enough.

Note to self, always read twice before posting. :blush:

I went through all the options before I chose the calibre for fox, and evetually picked the .223 as it is a 1000yd rifle for targets (with the right twist), and I was going to reload for it anyway.

The .222 is cheaper to reload for, as it uses less powder, but if you are just shooting a few foxes, ie less than 200 rounds a year, then the cost of ammo, and the quality of it will not be a major issue, as anything that groups to around 1" will be enough.

Well, yes, it will make it, and may well deliver half decent groups after a lot of development, but not many people will buy a .223 as a 1000 yard target tool!

Many, including myself, do not reload, if you do then by all means consider a .222, if you don't, then there is no contest, .223 every time!

ATB! :good:

firstly, irrelivent of someone else having once shot that land, have YOU! been given permission to shot the land purely for fox, as it sounds more like a want rather than a need

Forgive me but I think that most of us want rather then need. That is unless our employment stipulates ownership. I for one buy and own guns because I want to, nothing to do with need.

i know someone who used to shoot there with a .243, so i know it should be ok for anything up to that

But what if he had a open ticket then it might not be passed for .243 im not saying it isnt just dont asume it is. A phone call to your flo could check this for you. Also both .223 and .222 will do the job with ease its just a personal preferance to which.

Edited by ossett_hunter

the owner of the .243 was an open ticket holder, but i have been told that someone with a closed ticket used to shoot a .223 over it but it was a good few years, so fingers crossed my feo still thinks it is :good: wasnt ever planning on homeloading, so it seems that the .223 is definatly the way to go on gun front, so from what ive read on this thread everythin seems ok so im going to send in my forms in the next few weeks, just a problem on the experience front, ive only shot with a centerfire a handfull of times but would be happy with a mentor :good:

Experiance can only be gained with time though, but might i suggest you gen up a bit on things like maximum bullet travel, suitable safe and unsafe shots etc. The help of an experianced user can be of great help here, tell us were you are and someone might help out :good:

im in stoke on trent mate, staffordshire :good:

Forgive me but I think that most of us want rather then need. That is unless our employment stipulates ownership. I for one buy and own guns because I want to, nothing to do with need.

well there you go, you'vre now talked to someone that got into owning a shotgun and rimfire purely because of work,

Agreed - no-one pays me to shoot these days.

Shooting rabbits, woodies, foxes is just a mutually beneficial relationship I have with landowners. Not a necessity at all for me. I just can't live without it :lol:

so what would happen then? would i be rufused it or just granted without said condition? :hmm:

From what i can understand,the land owner will not let you shoot on there till you get more experience,end of,no permission/no need/no experience,no rifle.

I would try to find other permissions that would be glad to have you :good: then put them down as your parent land,problem solved.

Best to find a mentor even if you don't get the condition on your fac just to gain some experience,I had a mentor condition for 9months and i am glad i did,Don't go for a 222 go for a 223 more choice of ammo.It might help if you start off with a smaller caliber like 22lr for rabbits then build your way up as u gain experience.I know the mentor things a pain in the backside but would you want some one with no experience of that firearm shooting a 223 on your land?.If you wasn't to far i would be more then happy to mentor you but hopefully there's a member closer that can help.

Edited by silverhawk