general licence (pigeions)

Davyo

Hi

Anyone got any ideas.Was out checking flight lines a couple of days ago and this guy approached (seen him on several accasions walking his dog) and started talking about the general licence. He was banging on about weather it was legal to shoot under a flight?, He also made referances to shooting pigeons that where purley eating clover,(NOT DAMAGING CROPS) I sought of saw his point re the clover but he kept going on about when you shoot under a flight line how do you know they are headi

ng for a crop, they might simply be heading for a feed on clover.

I just nodded my head as i thought he looking for a argument! evenually he got sick and did one.I thought about phoning basc for some advise in case he bothers me again.( might just have to jump on the defensive & advise him that under the local authority he is supposed to pick up after his dog rather that leave it as i have seen on several occasions while camo'ed up in the hedge.

On most farms clover is a crop.

The old debate as to whether you should shoot birds under the General Licence when they are going to roost, feeding on stubbles, or just flying by, will go on forever and I don't think there is a clear answer.

The Authorities know that these are excellent opportunities to control the vermin numbers and permit it.

If someone approached me with the same questions as you had, I would just smile, shake my head and say, "I ain't got no idea mate" and shuffle off. ;)

yup, just say they are on the general license, they are classed as a pest species, and Ive been asked by the landowner to cull them for crop protection, not for sport,

by the way, do you have full permission too, to be walking your dog here :hmm:

no :no: well **** off then

might just have to jump on the defensive & advise him that under the local authority he is supposed to pick up after his dog rather that leave it as i have seen on several occasions while camo'ed up in the hedge.

Try to get a wee video of that particular offence being committed... Just in case. :yes:

:hmm::D :D

Hi

Anyone got any ideas.Was out checking flight lines a couple of days ago and this guy approached (seen him on several accasions walking his dog) and started talking about the general licence. He was banging on about weather it was legal to shoot under a flight?, He also made referances to shooting pigeons that where purley eating clover,(NOT DAMAGING CROPS) I sought of saw his point re the clover but he kept going on about when you shoot under a flight line how do you know they are headi

ng for a crop, they might simply be heading for a feed on clover.

I just nodded my head as i thought he looking for a argument! evenually he got sick and did one.I thought about phoning basc for some advise in case he bothers me again.( might just have to jump on the defensive & advise him that under the local authority he is supposed to pick up after his dog rather that leave it as i have seen on several occasions while camo'ed up in the hedge.

theres always one mate ,that will try and upset the apple cart,dont worry m8 as long as you have got landowners /tenants permission then tell him to be on his way.(sounds like a anti to me,tosspots)

Edited by jason airarms tx

Remember it is the tosspots that cause trouble though, so even if they are a total **** try and bite your tounge, All the above is fiar game but the law is very wolly so people will poke holes at it where they can and this just goes down badly with the general public when they hear about people killing poor fluffy cute innocent harmless animals for fun.

Next thing you hear is gun totting mad men in the country side killing swans by the time the press finish with it.

The farm I am on tomorrow has a huge crop of clover this year but then it is so tall pigeons will get lost if they land in it. :lol:

:good: People like that know that shooters are nice polite people with lots to lose so they try it on with cocky comments. They see it as a form of intellectual bullying, they poke their noses into everything and usually cause trouble because it makes them feel important. Most of these types dont really object to shooting they are just professional stirrers who revel in their synthetic indignation. They are usually raving lefties or liberals. Ghastly people really.

As long as you have permission to be on the land and permission from the landowner to shoot. Dosnt matter about flightlines or anything else. It would be down to the landowner to show that he is complying with the general licence, (ie pest control for listed species, to protect crops, of which clover is included).

If you see him again and he speaks to you about wrong doing.

1) Do you have permission to be on the land? otherwise he is commiting the offence of trespass (civil law) and as a person who technically works for the landowner you have the right to ask him to quit the land (presumming not on a public right of way)

2)He only allows his dog to commit the offence of dog fouling if it is in public domian (footpath). If in the field owned by individual, then it is private land and so is a civil issue. Pictures would suffice for local environmental services (council) or Police, before any action is taken, name address or vehicle index also helpful.

3) If there is any livestock nearby, you might wish to remind him that he has to keep his dog under control near to them, is case he breaks another law of worrying livestock. Also if on a public footpath (i.e public place) it needs a collar and id tag too

Failing that tell him to mind his own business :D

I bloody hate people who just walk where they like, straying from public footpath etc. I've seen people cut wire fences to just get into a field to exercise their dog, when there has been livestock in it. :angry:

Bet if I did that to there garden fence to walk my dog, they would be on the phone to the authorities straight away.

Edited by Pigeon love

ok i had pop at the spelling of pigeon. but i do agree you can shoot pigeons over any crop,on a flightline, sat in a tree,on the floor, dosn,t matter,when we go out shooting we use the term we are going out pigeon shooting, not i,m going out crop protecting..