Approximate trajectory of 12ft-lbs .177?

njc110381

Well it's a long time since I've posted in this section but here goes!

There's an area of ground on one of my shoots that's raised above the rest. I've shot the whole field of Rabbits and it's pretty well under control apart from this 20 yard stretch where I can't safely get a shot from any angle with the big stuff. So, last night I went out with the air rifle for the first time in ages. It's the perfect (and only) tool for the job.

This is where it went wrong. I led in the grass 30 yards from the hedge and waited silently for the bunnies to come out. They did, but I couldn't hit them! I took three shots and didn't connect with any of them. I was led down shooting prone but supported by hand (it's a springer) and at home at 20 yards I can hit pellet on pellet from that same position.

It's a long time since I seriously hunted with an air rifle having moved on to bigger things. I've forgotten most of what I used to know. So, why was I missing? I'm assuming I was missing under them? Does the 5-10 yards make a difference? I didn't want to experiment on live stuff so called it a day and went home rather than guess hold over/under. I'm really baffled! I don't remember the trajectory being that loopy and I don't miss.... Well not until yesterday! :oops:

Edited by njc110381

I can't really give enough details to be honest. The rifle is pretty powerful - about the most I've ever had from something I've bought as non FAC so it's got to be 11.5ft-lbs I should think? I'm using a 50mm front lens scope mounted 5mm above the rifle's cylinder.

I've got the scope set at 8x

A very rough guide! what is your zero?

njc110381.jpg

Dots?

Usually only works accurately on 10x (most scopes set there)!?

He states 8x.

Dots get VERY personal, generally I find actual rise and drop figues more useful!

Whatever, I feel that in the example outlined something else is going on, he should still have hit them, all be it low! :hmm::hmm:

Zero is 25 yards. Thanks very much for the chart, it gives me a great rough picture of what's going on. I understand that it can only be a guide with the info I've given but I'm most grateful for it.

I think next time I'm at the range I'm going to pace out some targets every ten yards out to 50 and see where it's hitting. That's what I do with the big toys (every 50) so it makes sense to do a scaled version for the air rifle.

Looking at the info put forward I'm pretty certain I must have been clipping some grass stems or something though because as Dekers said, I would expect to be hitting them a little low but not missing. There was no sign of a hit on any of them, they just ducked down low, looked at me and then ran off!

I was considering the hold issue, but I'm holding it the same as I do at home. I wouldn't have thought that was it but you never know I guess. I just can't believe I've missed Rabbits at 30 yards, not just one but several.

I fired the zero check shots before I left the house and all was well. The gun was handled pretty gently into the truck, driven to the shoot and used so there was no chance of it being knocked?

Regarding shooting over the top, I tend to find Rabbits duck no matter where you miss them. It's their default "oh my god take cover" stance which they use before they decide what to do. You can throw up a big cloud of soil under them with a fullbore rifle and they'll still duck for a split second before running off!

Well it's a long time since I've posted in this section but here goes!

There's an area of ground on one of my shoots that's raised above the rest. I've shot the whole field of Rabbits and it's pretty well under control apart from this 20 yard stretch where I can't safely get a shot from any angle with the big stuff. So, last night I went out with the air rifle for the first time in ages. It's the perfect (and only) tool for the job.

This is where it went wrong. I led in the grass 30 yards from the hedge and waited silently for the bunnies to come out. They did, but I couldn't hit them! I took three shots and didn't connect with any of them. I was led down shooting prone but supported by hand (it's a springer) and at home at 20 yards I can hit pellet on pellet from that same position.

It's a long time since I seriously hunted with an air rifle having moved on to bigger things. I've forgotten most of what I used to know. So, why was I missing? I'm assuming I was missing under them? Does the 5-10 yards make a difference? I didn't want to experiment on live stuff so called it a day and went home rather than guess hold over/under. I'm really baffled! I don't remember the trajectory being that loopy and I don't miss.... Well not until yesterday! :oops:

You say you were lying in the grass prone, could it have been your scope was above the grass but the barrel below? even with a rimfire if the bullet hits an obstruction even a blade of grass can cause a miss.

when i first started i had mine all zero'd for about 25 yrds. when i went out i found my self completely missjudging the ranges because i had only been out before with a friend with his shotguns and .22 rf so now i dial them in for around 40yrds ish or soo then spent days on end polluting the range with lead. usally the day before i go out just to make sure its all fine, had an issue like that recently though my .22 which i hadnt used in ages shots just started tumbeling wayy to early, getting fixed as we speek.