Identify target at night at long range

I was out last night with the 223 and lamp.

The kit I use is a .223, swaro 8x50 IR Scope, with a 140 lightforce and blue filter.

I saw eyes comming toward me, but they stopped at about 150 yards.

Although 98% certain it was a fox, I could not identify it, and could not make out a body.

The only shot I could have taken was at the eyes.

I left it for another night.

This often happens to me, but I read about people shooting at night at 200 yards++.

How do they do it?

What am I doing wrong? Is it the filter colour? Are my eyes just getting too old :/ ?

(Have had an eye test recently and eyes are okay).

take your filter off, it will give you better light and clearer to identify target and safe shot etc.

Also vary mag scope you could wind the mag up to x10 x12 for closer look but this will give you narrower field of view

thats just a few things

I know what You getting at - but honestly, 150 yards you should be able to identify?

Sometimes, the eyes can be so bright as to make it hard to identify when they are head on, have or do you try putting the lamp to the left or right so as not directly on them?

I dont know how people do it out to some of the distances that are quoted, ie shooting out to 300/400 yards, but identifying them I can do out to a considerable distance, but normally shoot from 200 yards in.

Edit: I use LF140/243/s&b8x56

Edited by Devon Fox

just thort i would add what i do..

i use a 22/250 or a 243..

i use a 140 lightforce lamp i tend not to use a filter to find the fox but when i see the eyes looking back i tend to put on the orange filter once im sure its a fox...

i then try to squeek the fox to about 100 yards or better if i can get it in closer..

only then do i take the shot and quite often i dont take the shot as im not happy with the back stop..

but you must be 101% that its a fox before any shot is fired..

regards

rich.

I can only support what Archie1234 has said! You need to practice clipping the filter on and off!

Your target identification must be 110% when on the lamp - I took Archie1234 out the other week and called a shot off because I could not positively identify the target (I was acting as "lamp man" - As it was the target was the fox we were after but it was a case of better safe than sorry.

Thanks archie1234,

How do you replace a filter quietly?

Also I find I need to tape around the the outside of the filer to avoid light refracting back.

Because I have some plastic sheet taped to the bottom of my 170 and the securing tape goes completely around the rim of the lamp, to stop the moulded gripping lugs on the end of the 3 tangs getting caught up in the tape, I cut them off.

You're right Ian, you can't do it quietly, but although done for a different reason this did have the effect of quietening things down considerably. I've never had the filter move although this may be due to the fact that I only shoot off the back of the truck. Also tape around the filter as you do.

Having said all that, I now find that the filter is not necessary and to be honest I now only use it to protect the lamp lens. If I were to use anything to make life easier, I'd go for a dimmer, but am not convinced that that's necessary either.

Range? 223, 170 and Leupold 4.5-14 by 50 - 250yds just once in 25 years, normally less than 200. Too old now to repeat the 250 so changed the ancillaries onto a Hornet.

I did not mean to give the impression I shoot when I am not sure of the target.

I only shoot when 100% certain, and do not take head shots at fox.

I agree that a reminder on safety aspects is always a point worth making in a thread regarding lamping. Thanks.

Up until now I have been happy to limit shots at night to 100 yards, but reading other posts on here

I was intrigued on how people are managing to hit targets at long range, at night.

I am probably a bit stuck in my ways after years of lamping rats and rabbits at shorter ranges (air rifle and .22LR) with a filter.

I then continued with exactly the same techniques with a centrefire on foxes without rethinking it.

I will try without a filter and see how I get on.

Thanks all for the advice.

Ok heres one for you- i do not believe the filter does anymore than reduce the light intencity, have not used one for many years. In Foxing if the shot isn't on due to identification, range or safety i simply use the lamp pointed up and away from the target and call. while doing this i have just about enough periferal light just faintly illuminating the targets eyes to watch its reaction. Often called foxes dont move in but just stand stock still and allow you to walk in, other times they come in like a good gundog on recall or try and get downwind by doing a loop- others just bolt. Put a full beam onto a fox for more than a split second and mostly it will just bug out hence responding to the call in any way starts but doesn't finish the identification process as you always need a full positive ID before that bolt even goes forwards (unless using binos this is the only way my gun will get pointed at a not quite sure enough target)

As for long range ID there are a lot of blaggers and a lot of chancy shooters out there. Personally remember watching what i thought was a partridge doing a weird dance that turned out to be a fox laid out scatching its chin in a sunny spot when i put the binos on it, range? about 35yds, broad daylight. yeah i have good eyes but sometimes my brain puts together what my eyes are seeing to be something else. Remember seeing a toy panda teddy bear stuck in a fence in the middle of nowere and thinking what the heck, how did that get there 20 mins later a Roe buck stood up, again broad daylight through 7x50 swarvoski binos though a good 250+ away- bear this in mind the next time you identify a fox in the beam :good:

I did not mean to give the impression I shoot when I am not sure of the target.

I only shoot when 100% certain, and do not take head shots at fox.

I agree that a reminder on safety aspects is always a point worth making in a thread regarding lamping. Thanks.

Up until now I have been happy to limit shots at night to 100 yards, but reading other posts on here

I was intrigued on how people are managing to hit targets at long range, at night.

I am probably a bit stuck in my ways after years of lamping rats and rabbits at shorter ranges (air rifle and .22LR) with a filter.

I then continued with exactly the same techniques with a centrefire on foxes without rethinking it.

I will try without a filter and see how I get on.

Thanks all for the advice.

Dont worry mate - Your 1st post made it clear that You dont gamble :good:

I agree with the filter comments by all above, I dont get on with them - only used when lamping rabbits with the HMR at shorter distances.

to be honest i struggle a little bit but ive done it that much now im a bit of a dab hand at it..

ive convinced myself they cant hear the rattle of me clipping it back on...

rich.

well i lamp of the quad all the time and it doesnot bother them, the sound of 500cc is a wee bit more than a click of the filter,why dont lightforce change it any how?

positive ID before that bolt even goes forwards (unless using binos this is the only way my gun will get pointed at a not quite sure enough target)

Once I know what I'm looking at I use my thumb to push on the back of the bolt and pick up a cartridge as it's quieter than using the bolt handle, being left-handed helps.

I know a bloke who fired a shot at a fox. Its eyes went out so he began walking over to it. On the way he fell over the cow he had killed instead.

It had been lying in a dip in the field, he hadnt seen it at all and had hit it perfectly in the back of the head with a .223.

Always be aware of what lies between your target and you as well as beyond it.

a lot also depends on ambient conditions. i had a shot at a fox which was 400+ yards at night. I could see it very clearly. i missed because I did not allow enough drop but all was safe, just inept! most nights you can't see that far but that night it just so happened.