Which 4x4 to go for out of these 3?

V8landy

We bought an XC90 about 6 months ago, more for the 7 seats than the fact that it's a 4x4.

We're getting ~28mpg but it more than paid for itself over this winter.

As someone pointed out you can't get proper off road tyres for it, it's not really

a proper 4x4.

We got nearly 10K off list by going through an internet broker (Drive the Deal) which

makde it reasonable value for money.

Nial.

Thanks Nial

When I say 4x4, I mean more like you, for the large space/seats rather than its off roading capacity.

As you might spot from my name, a Series 2 Landrover V8 is always in my heart for true off roading.

Any way, also need to fit baby buggy things etc etc in, in a few months time!!!!

Dont want a "people carrier"

Edited by V8landy

We got nearly 10K off list by going through an internet broker (Drive the Deal) which

makde it reasonable value for money.

Nial.

Just been on that drive the deal site, never seen or heard of it before, but appears to give a very good discount?

Thanks Nial

When I say 4x4, I mean more like you, for the large space/seats rather than its off roading capacity.

As you might spot from my name, a Series 2 Landrover V8 is always in my heart for true off roading.

Any way, also need to fit baby buggy things etc etc in, in a few months time!!!!

Dont want a "people carrier"

In that case the XC90 might fit the bill.

A couple of things...

I think the reason it's available with such a discount is that a new model is imminent.

If you can live with that the discount makes it very good value for money against the

Toureg or Range Rover.

The current version was released in 2002 and it sort of feels it, an example is that the sat

nav doesn't let you enter a post code, it has to be an address.

Ours is the wife's car and her commute is round the Edinburgh bypass which is stop start

all the way so we went for an automatic which I don't like now, I'd definitely go manual.

Because most of them are automatics the hand brake is foot operated which I also don't

like.

On the plus side it's big and comfortable and covers distance easily. It does what it

says on the tin and as I said more than paid for itself last winter. The rear seats are

really easy to put up and down so it's very flexible for luggage/taking kids friends etc.

If you have kids get the running boards as they won't be able to get in and out without them.

I wouldn't take it anywhere _really_ dodgy unless there was a proper 4X4 on standby to pull it out.

It doesn't drive or handle like a people carrier but I prefer driving our 8 year

old V70 (probably because of the XC90 auto box).

Definitely worth borrowing one for a day to see if you like it.

Nial

If it is just A big car with four wheel drive for the bad weather I have heard a lot of good things about the VW Touareg that is the one that I would go with.

Does the Toureg not cost a fortune (starting @ 40K odd)?

I was keen to look at one 'till I found out how expensive they are (for another not proper 4x4).

Nial

There was a point a couple of years ago where xc90's hit rock bottom. I remember reading an article of a two or three year old xc90 with the 4.4 litre v8, most of the extras selling for 8k. Because the demand for them second hand just wasn't there. Things may have changed now, but you may be able to get a bargain on a very young second hand one.

If it was me, out of the three I'd pick the Toureg. The new RRs although perfectly adequate are nothing special.

There's always the landcruiser too, but that's not in the three.

really its hard to say on the net all you can do is get out and test drive a few and see what you think. All are expensive vehicles to own / run so you want to get what suits you best, it will also make a fair difference if you buy new / 2/3 years old as some depreciate far harder than others. If its not going off road and you already have a vehicle to shoot in I'd be getting the missus into a quick audi estate for a test drive and try and convince her to have something far cheaper to run.

really its hard to say on the net all you can do is get out and test drive a few and see what you think. All are expensive vehicles to own / run so you want to get what suits you best, it will also make a fair difference if you buy new / 2/3 years old as some depreciate far harder than others. If its not going off road and you already have a vehicle to shoot in I'd be getting the missus into a quick audi estate for a test drive and try and convince her to have something far cheaper to run.

I would say the same, a 3 litre A6 s line would fit this bill very well, or an all road.the other thing I seem to be hearing recently is everyone is going on about the skoda scout and I was in one the other day and was very impressed.

If you want off road ability as well as the big boot and 7 seats then a disco all day long, if it's for soft roaring what about a Q7?

Regards,

Gixer

I see it has been moved to the off road section, but as I original stated, vehical would not be for off road use.

5 seats does not = 5 people, there are only 2 adults and 1 baby. 5 = size of car. I should maybe have left off the 4x4 bit.

I do like the Audi Estate, nice looking car and very quick as well.

Current main car is a golf VR6, so new car has to be of a similar spec and power.

Given I have the VW, the Touareg is possibly my top one. I hear to many problems about the RR, and volvo is just a volvo.

Can only tell with a test drive, but I have ad some good feedback thus far from you Guys, Thanks