Worth getting my 15 year old son a SGC ?

I have just got my first SGC and gun this year, its been brilliant, my son comes with me, and he loves shooting as well now, we had a few lessons at Sporting Targets which was a great help, we share the gun when we go there to practice, he loves it so much he is now going on about getting his own licence, my Q is, is it worth it ?

I know he will keep it up and go on for a SGC eventually, but at 15 I think it feels like just a vanity thing, no-one has money to throw around nowadays, he only shoots with me and I don't know what advantages there are in getting a SGC apart from possible future law changes making things more difficult or expencive.

Any advice or opinions gratefully received,

thank you and best regards,

Paul

Edited by onefulham

Wanting to save the £50 is understandable.

If you only wish to shoot clays for now there is probably no merit in your lad having his own SGC.

However you will be limited to shooting grounds which have an exemption to allow non SGC holders to shoot.

If you later decide to move on to live quarry shooting, you would be best advised to get your lad an SGC then. On the other hand, if he got an SGC now, it would be one more of us, and one less of them!

webber

if hes only shooting with you then i dont see alot of point except he can be supervised by anyone over 21, but if after quarry then at 15 with his own license he can go unaccompanied which would keep your back if you wanted to walk either way round a cover or shoot in seperate spots :good:

I would get him one. As you have mentioned it will only get harder to get one in the future and building up a few years experience on paper with his own license will only help in the future. It may not be too long until he is driving and independent and he may wish to go shooting alone / without you one day.

apart from the initial cost I can only see positive points from getting him one. Sounds silly but I bet he will feel like more of a shooter with his own License and he will thank you for it.

I would get him one. As you have mentioned it will only get harder to get one in the future and building up a few years experience on paper with his own license will only help in the future. It may not be too long until he is driving and independent and he may wish to go shooting alone / without you one day.

apart from the initial cost I can only see positive points from getting him one. Sounds silly but I bet he will feel like more of a shooter with his own License and he will thank you for it.

Have to agree with you on this one mate. I was only 15 and thinking on getting a license, and thank fully i did get one as i was considering not getting one as i was shooting with my dad, but i haven't had my license for a year yet, and i've already been shooting roughly 10 times without him already, but if i hadn't applied for a license, i wouldn't of been able to go.

So it will be definitely worth getting him one, as said above he will become independent one day, so definitely worth getting him one, and at £50 it wont break the bank ;) ;) ;)

On a different tangent - It is something He will respect, and understand that behaviour must be inline, keeping Him out of any potential teenage trouble in the future. (not saying He is a bad lad,but we were teens once :lol: )

Get Him one I say :good:

Edited by Devon Fox

Hi,

I have 2 sons now 20 and 17.

When eldest was 16 got him a sgc.This was because he started shooting game & rough shooting and not always with me.

at 15 sgc does not allow purchase of guns/cartridges,only real practical purpose is can shoot with permission on land.

So in any practical sense,if it is clays you shoot then no real need.

There is the element of responsibility and the process of application/police visit etc which is a good thing but on balance I am not sure you need to do it at this point.My youngest,who shoots occassionally has not got a sgc.

I would initially get him young BASC membership(if not all ready) and only SGC if he is going to shoot under someone elses supervision.

ATB

Couldnt agree more, something tells me getting a cert will get harder and harder, so i always advise friends who are thinking about it to get it now while they can, and then hold on to it.

AB

On a different tangent - It is something He will respect, and understand that behaviour must be inline, keeping Him out of any potential teenage trouble in the future. (not saying He is a bad lad,but we were teens once :lol: )

i have to say this is one of the best reasons. Having something like this can teach a kid a lot about discipline and responsilbity. A good thing i say.

Some good points on the responsibility of holding the certificate. Like getting a Driving license in a way it makes you feel more mature / grownup. I think it can only be a positive thing getting it for him. It will make him feel more trustworthy and in the click if you know what I mean. I would have loved it if my old man got me my certificate when I was younger. Just joining the local clay ground when I was younger and being a member made me feel grownup and made me act responsibly.

I had one at 15. It was 20 years ago, but I don't remember it giving any practical advantage (I went clay and pigeon shooting with my father). However, I was asked to go to the local police station for an interview with one of the police officers. I remember feeling very apprehensive about this, but I it really made me think about the seriousness of using a shotgun and my responsibilities.

I'd say go for it :good:

Get Him one I say :good:

got to agree with the above my son's had his since school(14) and kept him out of bother

I have just got my first SGC and gun this year, its been brilliant, my son comes with me, and he loves shooting as well now, we had a few lessons at Sporting Targets which was a great help, we share the gun when we go there to practice, he loves it so much he is now going on about getting his own licence, my Q is, is it worth it ?

I know he will keep it up and go on for a SGC eventually, but at 15 I think it feels like just a vanity thing, no-one has money to throw around nowadays, he only shoots with me and I don't know what advantages there are in getting a SGC apart from possible future law changes making things more difficult or expencive.

Any advice or opinions gratefully received,

thank you and best regards,

Paul

I think it all depends on your son and how keen he is to take up shooting. At 15 years of age many lads try different hobbies and after a few months they get bored. Maybe keep taking him with you shooting for a year and if you sense (or he tells you) he is keen on shooting after that, then I think it is the sensible thing to do. As for keeping him out of trouble, again, it is down to his character. If he is a sensible and well brought up lad he will benefit from any activity that will teach him to be responsible, cooperate with others and be disciplined. My first thought would be to get him involved (if he wants, of course) to a sport activity first, as at the age of 15 he can develop strength, motor, social and mental skills better in an environment that will nurture all this.

As far as shooting is concerned, it might be a good idea to try together a few different things, say a morning wildfowling and a day driven shooting as well as a clay session or two. This way you can both work out what you like best, and hopefully enjoy shooting together. You need to be aware that different types of shooting require different levels of fitness. Some forms of shooting require very good physical condition (wildfowling) whereas others (like driven shooting) are a less strenuous activity.

I agree with all the "get him one" views, my son had one very early teens and I taught him gun control , use etc and he was out with me regularily from the age of 9 with airguns . I believe it helped make him have a more responsible attitude to not only guns and shooting but also the understanding of what laws and regulations mean and why they are there, which I think helped as he developed through his teen years.

I never had plod knock on the door because he got up to something he shouldnt nor as far as I know even got a speeding ticket.