Quad Bike ATV

jasper3

Hi all

well ive got to that stage in life where i need some excitment :lol:

and I'm thinking in the near future of getting a Quad for my shooting trips and maybe a bit of work, if we get the new house with a bit of land

there are so many different makes and models its starting to get confussing

I would be looking at around a 400cc

I like the look of the yamaha grizzly

2007-yamaha-grizzly-700-f_460x0w.jpg

and have seen the Farr 400 but hadn't heard much about them

farr.jpg

what are your thoughts ?

cheers

jasp

we have both a quad and side by side on the estate. The quad is more fun (2005 honda 450) but the atv (2010 Yamaha Rhino 660) is far more useful, it will carry 2 adults, 200kg in the tipping buck and tow 500kg so for shooting and forestry work its great, with a winch its un stoppable! both do 45-50mph on the road but the tyres dont last long if its on the road lots. Not sure what your situation is but our vehicles are free tax as agricultural useage. Honda quads are reliable lasting forever but maybe a bit plain, there are so many brands on a flooded market right now you can afford to be picky just avoid chinese "Sack"a"****tys" like the plague. As for side by side ATV's i would avoid the diesel ones, 3cylinders 20mph and noisey as hell!! only bonus is fuel consumption. good luck, and like al4x said be careful as they are too easy to nick, an alarmed secure workshop, a rottweiler and my mrs keep ****** away!!

ATB Dave.

Ummm :hmm: I know Honda do good engines, to be honest it would be more of a play thing instead of work horse,

it would need to carry the odd log or two but nothing like the farmers carry

it would also be used on the road and !!! i would have to get it taxed and mot'd as my shooting ground will be about 12 miles away, unless i opt for the trailor route

I believe the limit for agi reg is 11 miles ?

:lol: I know what you mean about ****** , we are soooo lucky down here and don't often get as many as up country :good:

when you say chinese ! is there any particular makes to stay clear of, I don't want to sound thick, but I think farr are from asia..don't know what part :lol:

One point to note, I think you will find the Farr is made of all Yamaha parts, including the engine :)

:blink: :blink: I didn't know that , Ummmm :hmm: the price difference is massive, and the good thing about Farr for me is, the main importer is on my doorstep

Nick !! you may be well right mate, I thought it was 11 miles from your home/farm i know my farmer has fields splattered all around the place upto 6 miles away from his main farm..ile have to look into that one :good:

tyres ..yes good point what tyres would you guys reccommend ?it won't be going through 3 ft of mud, well not to start with :lol:

thanks for the replies lads, keep them coming if you can think of anything that could help choose the right quad :good:

jasp

Edited by jasper3

I think there is a bit of confusion going on that 1.5km applies to "limited use" agricultural vehicles and is designed to stop farms running landrovers etc on the road on red diesel. Nothing to do with insurance at all, however if you want exemption from road tax as an ag vehicle best look at the DVLA. Presuming its a petrol quad and running on fuel thats had duty paid its not an issue

i have yamaha 450 quad use it on road with chunky tires which have been on for almost 3000 miles and only half worn ,i would stick to a well known name honda /yamaha/polaris ect and avoid all copy cat brands that fall to bit within months my mate is main yamaha dealer and wont touch chinese imports ect as he says there junk.as for agri reg you can only use within 7 miles of your base and speed limit ov 20mph also if you get stopped say 15 miles from base by a cop that knows his stuff youll be looking at 3 points per tyre if there not e rated aswell there getting hot on these that run around on agri regs. :good:

cheers lads..

great post Remmy :good: ive been told the only good chinese quad is the quadzilla,

I popped into Exeter quads today to have a look at a few, they sell all the big names yamaha, Honda, suzuki, can-am polaris etc etc and quadzilla

I did like the look of the new Quadzilla RS6EFi and it is a two seater he did tell me its the only chinese quad they would touch, and did say for what i would use it for would be more than good enough ok!!! i know they all have thier sales pitch :lol: but he also added they service and MOT them plus give full back up service

I know if the quad was going to do hard work it would be a simple choice of Honda.... makes sense when you see so many farmers with them

the Quadzilla is also road legal and as said is a two seater, but !!!! have any of you had trouble with these or know of any problems ? I know nothing is 100% these days and in most cases you get what you pay for , But !!!! I also know you can pay for the name and still get rubbish

http://www.quadzillaquads.com/PDFs/Model%20REVIEWS/QUADMarch%2710-RS6.pdf

Edited by jasper3

I have a kymco KXR 250 and it's a fine quad so far, there are chinese copies around but also remember that companies like Farr and kymco make parts for yamaha and Honda respectively, my quad has had some offroad abuse so far and has lasted fine, it's also easy for parts and is auto so easy to ride, be carefully of the fact that hydraulic handbrakes are an auto fail for MOT on quads as of June this year. :good:

The secret with atv's is to maintain them often if they are being used hard!

Edited by gixer1

no doubt about it honda's are fantastic, but pricey.

We run a yamaha grizzly 350 on the farm on an 08 plate and it's been fantastic so far. solid build and plenty of power. Definately reccommend the grizzly [especially in the snow in rear wheel drive :)]

I have a brand new well registered 1/12/2010 Quadzilla 325E ATV, its the only eastern import I would consider, 4 wheel drive, high/low, automatic, 3000lb winch, Quadzilla are imported by one company which been going for years and hold all the spares for all there models, being truthfull I would have liked a Honda but they were double the price of what I paid and in reality mine is play thing used for carting my gear to my shooting and lamping, if I had been using it as part of my job then theres no doubt I would have gone Jap (actually it was a Christmas pressy from the missus), I had considered secondhand but was warned off unless you knew the owner as they have usually had hard lives/abused

I had a secondhand "Ram" which is quadzilla for 4 years prior to this one off road only, and in that time it cost me a clutch cable £32.00 pretty good as far as I'm concerned

The build is defiantly quality is not Jap standard but OK.

Alan.

Ummm :hmm: I know Honda do good engines, to be honest it would be more of a play thing instead of work horse,

it would need to carry the odd log or two but nothing like the farmers carry

it would also be used on the road and !!! i would have to get it taxed and mot'd as my shooting ground will be about 12 miles away, unless i opt for the trailor route

I believe the limit for agi reg is 11 miles ?

:lol: I know what you mean about ****** , we are soooo lucky down here and don't often get as many as up country :good:

when you say chinese ! is there any particular makes to stay clear of, I don't want to sound thick, but I think farr are from asia..don't know what part :lol:

Polaris RZR :good:

Forward to 18 mins to see the RZR review :yes:

Edited by chrispti

If you want a play thing: honda 420AT, the grizz 350 with IRS, Kawasaki 650 if you want a bit more poke. Some of the chinese is good, but it doesnt have the durability of the jap. Kymco make bit for arctic cat, i spent along time taking the clutch out of an 3month old AC 366/400(all kymco) Even the rep said there no good for everyday farm use.

Tyre wise kenda bearklaws all day every day best all round tyre about IMO :yes:

That polaris looks good fun :lol: but at 14k :blush:

mine won't be overly abused :rolleyes::lol: just riding on the road and around the fields for shooting

great Vid ferretboy :good:

the one for the money at the moment is the quadzilla RS6 efi plus its a two seater for when the wife wants to come shooting too plus, we have a dealer on the doorstep...thats a quad dealer :lol:

would be nice to see some pics of any mods you have done :yes::good:

Edited by jasper3

no doubt about it honda's are fantastic, but pricey.

We run a yamaha grizzly 350 on the farm on an 08 plate and it's been fantastic so far. solid build and plenty of power. Definately reccommend the grizzly [especially in the snow in rear wheel drive :)]

Tyre wise kenda bearklaws all day every day best all round tyre about IMO :yes:

love mine in the snow in rear wheel drive :rolleyes: yamaha,s in two wheel drive mostly an manage most things but also have 4 wheel high and low and diff lock + park which is a mechanical handbake which you need for new mot rules,mine has kenda bearclaws on which are e marked for road use and have tremendous grip and last well mine 3000 miles and still good,atb which ever way you go it great fun on the quad :good:

This isn't exactly forgiving terrain, and you will find some parts on the Kymco's are made by reputable firms such as DID (wheels, drive chain, sprockets) Denso (electrics) and as i said they make parts for honda, between myself and a friend we both have the same type of quad and they have seen some abuse so far and niether have had any major problems (and the couple of small problems have been caused by poor maintenance in the past! such as a swing arm bolt siezing in the bushing)

Regards,

Gixer

post-10812-0-30987500-1307014878.jpg

post-10812-0-87450100-1307014914.jpg

and another....

I'm very impressed with these bikes so far and would recommend Kymco now, and we have also had ours around a little local track with jumps etc and it didn't have any problems(not really what they are designed for :blush: ) i think it'll pull a fair amount if required (my friends one pulls a trailer with his sons quad on the back) and they use hardly any fuel...

The bad point is they are a pain to insure and road tax is the same price as a car (PLG) unless you class them as agricultural which stops you carrying passengers on a quad.

Edit to include a review link which says Kymco build for Honda,Yamaha and Arctic cat... http://www.atv.com/manufacturers/kymko/2009-kymco-mongoose-300-review-1393.html

post-10812-0-65028600-1307015400.jpg

Edited by gixer1

Sure Honda is a hard work horse that if left unserviced with the same oil in it will still start first push in 20 years time. But costly too.

I changed from trusty Honda to Polaris (500HO) last year and haven't looked back. In fact, I just bought another Polaris today, this time a 500 Ranger.

The 2011 Polaris 400 (450) is definitely worth a test drive, it is a fantastic bit of kit and doesn't cost the earth.

JF

Edited by jef