Shooting pigeons in the garden?

Hi guys, I know this has been covered before and i'm sure i've read it, but cant find it anywhere.

Under the general license are you allowed to shoot woodpigeons on your own land for the protection of trees and vegetables??

I tried on the BASC web site and got completely lost.

We have a small cherry tree that i have been nurturing for 3 years and the ******* pigeons keep hammering it and snapping the branches where they are so heavy after attacking the veg plot. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

We've put out the usual stuff to try and keep them off, but now they just ignore it all and keep attacking the veggies and trees, and its really starting to **** me off!

So, is it ok to shoot them with a PCP air rifle? As long as the pellet stays on our property? Anything else???

Just want to stay totally legal....

Any advice greatly appreciated before i wage war against the damn pigeons.

Liam

From what you have told us Liamp69 you would be well within the law to shoot the woodies. Just remember that you need to make sure that the pellets do not stray outside the boundary of your property. The safest way to do this (If it is possible or practical) would be to shoot downwards from a bedroom window so that you have a 100% safe backstop!

I would be concerned about the clause that says you have to be satisfied that other methods of crop protection would be ineffective. It could be argued that a net over the tree or veg would protect them, or even something as simple as a bag on a pole or some CDs strung up.

Don't forget - It is illegal to fire an airgun within 50-feet (15 metres) of the centre of a public highway. :good:

Oh dear....

That old chestnut. Why do people keep dragging up the same old rubbish.

You are quite wrong, sorry.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

So you are quite at liberty to fire your airgun on your own private property no matter how close you are to any highway. It is always wise to be reasonably discrete and considerate of your neighbours feelings of course.

Oh dear....

That old chestnut. Why do people keep dragging up the same old rubbish.

You are quite wrong, sorry.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

So you are quite at liberty to fire your airgun on your own private property no matter how close you are to any highway. It is always wise to be reasonably discrete and considerate of your neighbours feelings of course.

:stupid:

Get them shot.

FM

“If as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.”

Interrupted: Driving your car down a highway seeing some guy swinging what could look like them to be a high powered rifle in their direction at close proximity.

Endangered: If a pellet bounces off something and hits their car...

You might as well stay away from the road... why risk anything?

Liam69, maybe you could nip all of this "debate" in the bud by telling us if they are in your front garden or your back garden and how far your shooting position would be from any road and what direction you might be shooting from in relation to any nearby roads!

Been shooting them in the back garden, over 50ft from the road and shooting away from the road. Have sheds as backstop at bottom of garden to stop possible stray pellets. Can't shoot from elevated position as live in a bungalow. :lol:

Had 6 over the weekend and think they are starting to get the idea. :good:

Thanks for all of the info guys.

Cheers

Liam

The thing is really how your neighbours would react. Legal or not you don't want to bring attention to youself. Shooting woodys with an air rifle is not that precise a science. You don't want a wounded one flapping around in a neigbours garden and them calling the RSPCA to come and deal with it.

Get them dealt with over the past 3 weeks between me an the old man we've had 24 now out of our garden(they love it backs onto about 10miles of fields full of crops. only had 1 flapper as it was windy and went through it's neck when bobbing in trees, it got a stick on the neck within about 10 seconds, then totally gone the rest just drop Aas410 and air arms diablo pellets. Should say a good 25 meters for most to. If you don't want to shoot them I'll be happy too :)

The thing is really how your neighbours would react. Legal or not you don't want to bring attention to youself. Shooting woodys with an air rifle is not that precise a science. You don't want a wounded one flapping around in a neigbours garden and them calling the RSPCA to come and deal with it.

oh gosh yeah,

this happened to me when i lived in town! neighbour knocked on the door, i aswered in wellies and pyjamas. "Theres an injured pigeon in you garden" says she " "yep i know just gotta go now and finish it off" says i. Lucky i had understanding neighbours, like the time the postman called and i was dressing out Deer in a white all in one and surgical gloves - had to phone that one in to plod before they arrived in force with the ARV :lol: Ah, the joys of living without neighbours :D