Idleback Stool??

I have tried of loads of different stools / chairs in the hide over the years but never really found the ideal solution...

I have watched the Idleback chairs being on fieldsportschannel.tv and really liked them but no way was I going to spend that much on a hide chair.

I am a buyer for a constructionn company and during a recent clear out of old materials and broken tools, I found 2 Nr suveyor/engineers tripods. I hatched a plan....... Why not cut them down, make a seat, paint them green and make a pair of Idleback stools!

Just finished the first and not field tested yet but.... I think these are going to be superb!

(Sorry about the picture quality. Only quick snaps on my phone)

post-21540-0-69058700-1306610053.jpg

post-21540-0-43442500-1306610118.jpg

post-21540-0-53407700-1306610131.jpg

Thanks for all the positive comments gents.

We pay about £70 each for these tripods (Topcon, Top quality) but you can get cheaper versions.

No gun mount planned but, I am now considering a back rest. :good:

I will post a decent quality picture of the 2 finished units later today.

They look great mate, you've done a grand job.

I like the fact that each leg is indipendant so you can level the seat no matter what the angle of the ground is. I love my bucket seat but I have spent many a day balancing at 75 degrees! Not fun at all.

This is something I would definitely consider for the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I have managed to acquire a third tripod and spent last weekend and the last few evenings making a third "Idleback Stool" (Patent pending) :lol: These have really turned out well. Superbly stable, Height adjustable and comfortable. They are all aluminium so nice and light.

I have thought about putting it up for sale on here, but I am not overly comfortable doing that as they have cost me very little, other than some scotchbrite, paint, fabric etc and a good few hours in the garage.

So my thoughts have turned to a possible exchange.....

Would anyone local to me be willing to offer me a days Pigeon shooting in exchange for one of these?? :hmm:

If not, How about making me an offer of an exchange for something else shooting related??

Edited by Pigeon Paul