salt water fly fishing reel advcie

Sauer

hi boys...im really keen on trying fly fishing but in the salty stuff for pollack coalies mackerel...whatever!!! heard its good fun and what ive seen on tv....john wilson in norway on coalies etc it looks sooooo much fun

i have a salt wter 9 weight fast action rod but i dont want to use any of my trout reels and ****** em up with salt water......

any advice or named products specifically for the salty stuff???????

sauer /paul

I would suggest just getting a cheapy graphite 7/8 sized reel and then make sure you wash it in fresh water after each trip. You won't be able to fit as much backing on with the 9wt line but there will be enough...because you can fish much heavier leaders I will be surprised if you ever reach the backing....

My cheapo shakespeare reel which has my SWFF line on it is pretty old and still does the job.

Most important item of kit in my opinion is a line tray...otherwise your line gets pulled by the tide or wrapped on rocks and impedes the cast.

Once you have had a mackerel on a fly rod you will never go back....

there are lots on the market today designed specifically for the salt. However all reels will go wrong if you don't adequatly clean them after use in the salt water. Clean them down ,lines as well with fresh water with a few natural soap flakes added (this is very good for the lines also) strip off a good proprotion of the backing also and use non absorbent type and rinse that also or it stores salt. I have some cheap saltwater reels that work for most uk stuff and some very expensive ones and they all do a job, for what you want don't discount the thoughts of a second hand System 2 or the likes as they can be had very cheaply now the world has gone large arbour crazy. You do not need large arbour or fast retrieve for Pollock they hit hard and run back down hard then you have to pull em up out of the kelp, there will be no fast runs towards you :good:

A used Sci anglers system 2 is a good, inexpensive bet. I have cheapies and expensive reels. They alls eem to work well enough. Wash them down as said above. I tend to soak mine in warm water overnight when I get home and then rinse and air dry the next day. Same for rods, minus the soaking bit.

Thanks,

rick

Make a line tray from a small plastic tub that goes in your sink. Attach a belt and drill lots of small holes in the bottom get some 120lb shock leader or similar thick stiff nylon tie a knot on the bottom of a 2-3" strand and thread it through the holes knot on the outside. Hot glue gun the knot to the tub. U should end with Forrest of nylon in the tub about 2-3" apart to stop the line tangling. Lastly drill 3 or four 1/2" holes to allow it to drain for wading in the bottom edge opposite the edge with the belt attached.

As to reels I use abel and find them indestructible but cheap graphite is ok too.

Make a line tray from a small plastic tub that goes in your sink. Attach a belt and drill lots of small holes in the bottom get some 120lb shock leader or similar thick stiff nylon tie a knot on the bottom of a 2-3" strand and thread it through the holes knot on the outside. Hot glue gun the knot to the tub. U should end with Forrest of nylon in the tub about 2-3" apart to stop the line tangling. Lastly drill 3 or four 1/2" holes to allow it to drain for wading in the bottom edge opposite the edge with the belt attached.

As to reels I use abel and find them indestructible but cheap graphite is ok too.

under no circumstances use a normal belt on a stripping basket, it has to be releasable quickly and safely in an emergency- swimming is impossible with one attached in the sea. Use a bungy with hooks into holes drilled vertically into the lip or a quick release snap connector (but make sure you know which side this clip is and can reach it quick and easy)

Okuma Airframe - around £40 and spare spools at £10 each. Well made, corrosion resistant and will take a lot of knocks. Good drag too.

It's OK saying that a fly reel is just a line holder when stockie bashing at a put-and-take pond, but get a 5lb bass or mullet on the fly rod and your reel WILL come into play. This one didn't trouble the drag much though :lol:

Flounder-CloseUp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...