I've got an apprentice

KFC

Our 13yr old Granddaughter has been staying with us for a couple of nights.

She asked me if I would take her out shooting.

I had some camo gear for her but I needed to go to my RFD to get her a veil cap and some gloves.

It's like she was in heaven. Looking at, and asking about, all the different guns.

Once we got out to the field, she was a natural. Wanted to know the why's and wherefore's of setting out deeks and hide. I've nicknamed her "Sweep" now because she was as good as any Spaniel for marking and retreiving shot birds.

I'd set the deeks and hide so there was a chance for her to use my air rifle and she got a perfect head shot on a Pigeon at 30yds. I was using my shotty and thats's a bit big for her yet but a good excuse to buy a 20g :yes:

As dusk fell we went on a stalk along the hedgerow for Rabbits. Her stalking technique needs a bit of refinement, and the dust-dry soil didn't help, so it was a blank but she'll get there.

We saw a Munjac and a Fox which really amazed her.

I think I might have words with her Mum about getting her a SGC for her Birthday.

I was brought up with shooting because my Grandad was a Gamekeeper so she said it's great that it runs in the family and now she was shooting alongside her Grandad. She asked if she could inherit my guns so she can teach her Grandchildren :D

It gave me a great buzz too to pass on the knowledge to someone who's so enthusiastic.

I suspect she might be spending a bit of her summer holiday with us and a trip to Kibworth will be needed:good:

Sounds great. I enjoy doing things like this with my grandad except he's now getting a bit older an can't walk far so together we go fishing instead. I really enjoy the time with him, an by the sounds of it , she loves it too. Hope you enjoy the time together but Please don't start singing an go on x factor. :)

Excellent. I'm looking forward to taking any, or all of my three Grandson's (aged 4,2 & 2)out shooting with me when they are older.

At the moment, the 4 year old has asked questions about shooting etc, and I really hope that by the time they are all old enough to fully understand about everything to do with it, my health will be good, and firearms will still be allowed to be owned privately.

Sounds great. I enjoy doing things like this with my grandad except he's now getting a bit older an can't walk far so together we go fishing instead. I really enjoy the time with him, an by the sounds of it , she loves it too. Hope you enjoy the time together but Please don't start singing an go on x factor. :)

She found my Fox caller in the pocket of the camo trousers that I gave her. She can get quite a tune out of it and it still sounds better than my singing ever will. She's driving me a bit mad with it now though :lol: :lol:

I take my 10yr old nephew out with me today and let him shoot my 308 what i cant understand is why he went white lol.

yes i worded it wrong he shoots my airrifle he went white when i asked him if he wanted a shot.

Hmm :hmm: TBH I don't see how you could type the first statement when you meant the second?

Neeeee naaaaaarrrrr neeeeeeoee naaaarrrrrrrrrr.

Watch out its the Internet police :lol:

Not policing anything, just think it's a bit odd that someone could say they let a child use one of their guns, but can't seem to remember if it was an air rifle or a .308 and passing comment to that effect. Is that OK with you?

Edited by Blunderbuss

Excellent. I'm looking forward to taking any, or all of my three Grandson's (aged 4,2 & 2)out shooting with me when they are older.

my health will be good, and firearms will still be allowed to be owned privately.

my brother is getting to an age where he can use a airgun very well and has shot a fox with my .17 but has to wait 5 years to get a fac. their is kids out their, the next line of shooters who want to carry on but i fear the puppets of power will stop it all befor they can.

i also belive ime in the last generation of keepers

What a great post,I have 2 daughters and if they want to when they are older, they can join me, it would make me so proud. I have an 11 nephew and his dad has just bought him a 410 he's itching to get out with it. Every time we have been out shooting in the past he asks his dad if he is big enough yet. I REMEMBER ASKING MY DAD THE SAME.AND 27 YEARS LATER IM STILL FISHING AND SHOOTING.(IM 37 NOW). GET THE YOUNG UNS IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS, AND NOT SAT IN AN ARM CHAIR ON A BLOODY X BOX

KEEP OUR TRADITIONS ALIVE AND KEEP HUNTING.

AND MAKE SURE THEY GET PASSED ON TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION.

ATB FLYNNY

Our 13yr old Granddaughter has been staying with us for a couple of nights.

She asked me if I would take her out shooting.

I had some camo gear for her but I needed to go to my RFD to get her a veil cap and some gloves.

It's like she was in heaven. Looking at, and asking about, all the different guns.

Once we got out to the field, she was a natural. Wanted to know the why's and wherefore's of setting out deeks and hide. I've nicknamed her "Sweep" now because she was as good as any Spaniel for marking and retreiving shot birds.

I'd set the deeks and hide so there was a chance for her to use my air rifle and she got a perfect head shot on a Pigeon at 30yds. I was using my shotty and thats's a bit big for her yet but a good excuse to buy a 20g :yes:

As dusk fell we went on a stalk along the hedgerow for Rabbits. Her stalking technique needs a bit of refinement, and the dust-dry soil didn't help, so it was a blank but she'll get there.

We saw a Munjac and a Fox which really amazed her.

I think I might have words with her Mum about getting her a SGC for her Birthday.

I was brought up with shooting because my Grandad was a Gamekeeper so she said it's great that it runs in the family and now she was shooting alongside her Grandad. She asked if she could inherit my guns so she can teach her Grandchildren :D

It gave me a great buzz too to pass on the knowledge to someone who's so enthusiastic.

I suspect she might be spending a bit of her summer holiday with us and a trip to Kibworth will be needed:good:

Warms the cockles, that.

Enjoy :good:

Sounds like you had a great day, but dont make the mistake i done when i was younger i was always out shooting with my dad and brother with all the camo clothes and all the gear but no hearing protection and now have poor hearing. young ears are so delicate .