what 4x4

mark47

Depends on how many miles you do.

I have got a Defender and for 5k you should get a decent one. But if you do lots of miles you could get a jap thing newer and more comfy.

But its not a Land Rover.

Yes, Japanese; Newer, more comfy, more reliable, cheaper to run, probably more leg room and luggage space, quieter, better equipped, but remember, it isn't a Land Rover :rolleyes:

Yes, Japanese; Newer, more comfy, more reliable, cheaper to run, probably more leg room and luggage space, quieter, better equipped, but remember, it isn't a Land Rover :rolleyes:

All the above may be very true, i have had both jap and Land Rover. The japs are fine, but a Land Rover is just more personal, and the Defender holds its price a lot better than a jap thing and i would prefer to work on a landy than anything else.

If its for a family vechicle,then go for hyundai or toyota,i have owned both and they were good,for shooting only i have an old frontera swb and its brilliant.

When we looked for a 4x4 to put the dog in,we ended up buying a volvo estate :blink: ,best car i have ever.

All the above may be very true, i have had both jap and Land Rover. The japs are fine, but a Land Rover is just more personal, and the Defender holds its price a lot better than a jap thing and i would prefer to work on a landy than anything else.

Yes, there's far more scrap value on a Landy - they weigh heavier. But the only reason the Landy feels more personal is that you've never got your hands off it, and that also explains why you would rather work on it - familiarity! :lol:

TD5 Discovery for me I think :good: Although my neighbour has just bought an 05 L200, and that's pretty nice too.

Had both of these. Ran a 1999 L200 for 10 years, ended up with 178,000 on the clock. Needed a couple of wheel bearings, and a viscous coupling fan, other than that only routine servicing. When it was stolen I bought an immaculate TD5 Disco with 44,000 on the clock with full service history. In the 2 years and 20,000 milles the repairs are :- 2 airs suspension compressors (yes 2), the air suspension filter replaced and relocated, a whole new electric window mechanism, a fuel pump (with is integrated with the sender unit).

I think that says it all.

To make matters worse the L200 was far nicer to drive. Shame the new ones IMHO look a bit like a hairdressers car. (Sorry top everyone who has one)

TD5 Discovery for me I think :good: Although my neighbour has just bought an 05 L200, and that's pretty nice too.

knowing nothing much about discos due to lack of interest I had a go at a local place called devils pit with the local landrover nut who owns the place and well modify them a bit and they can be quite good. Doing the black runs with a 200tdi serious MOT failure vehicle was interesting only mods being large tyres and arches cut out :oops: His opinion was the 200 was the best one they made and being someone who makes a living repairing them I guess he may know. These threads always go round and round in circles and really it all depends what kind of shooting you do and how much you use it. I use mine day to day and we have the odd day a couple of hundred miles away so an old defender isn't an option. If you look at the money they make 5-6K gets you an old dog whereas instead I got a 55 plate L200 with full history and 60k on the clock. Gets 30mpg day in day out no problem at 70-80 on the motorway and the big bit for me is wet dogs and dead stuff go in the back. We went up to Cumbria last year 3 of us had a great small walked up day truck piled high 3 dogs guns etc and it was wet, everything that was soaking went in the back job done and the cab didn't stink to high heaven. It did the mountainside we were shooting on fine and that was on road tyres won't ever compete with the short wheel base stuff but if you are a sensible off roader they go most places

Yes, there's far more scrap value on a Landy - they weigh heavier. But the only reason the Landy feels more personal is that you've never got your hands off it, and that also explains why you would rather work on it - familiarity! :lol:

I think the is some truth in the above. But i will stick with my landy it has never let me down on the road or mud and it will still be going for many years to come. Its a personal choice and i prefer Land Rovers, women and real ale.

Some people prefer jap rubbish, lager and lady boys :lol:

Edited by rimfire4969

I think the is some truth in the above. But i will stick with my landy it has never let me down on the road or mud and it will still be going for many years to come. Its a personal choice and i prefer Land Rovers, women and real ale.

good one :lol::lol::lol::lol::good:

Its a personal choice and i prefer Land Rovers, women and real ale.

LOL!!! It's true too! I also prefer Land Rovers, women and real ale...the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

I currently run a V8 Discovery with a gas conversion...it's about to be barstadised into an 88" coil sprung, disc braked, V8, Series III bodied ragtop!

LOL!!! It's true too! I also prefer Land Rovers, women and real ale...the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

I currently run a V8 Discovery with a gas conversion...it's about to be barstadised into an 88" coil sprung, disc braked, V8, Series III bodied ragtop!

you can always spot the people that don't go far in their 4x4 :lol:

If you get a Land Rover your gonna have to waxoil it every year,no big deal but worth it in the long run,

My Land Rovers twenty three years old got a galvanised chassis and a 200TDI eng so no need to waxoil,runs on anything i put in it,

I do a two hundred mile round trip to South Shields every weekend at 80mph on the motorway,

I'm just a numb Yorkshireman so to me its as comfy as my sofa at home,but some people would develop a back problem.

Drive one then drive a Japanese one and you'll know what you prefer,

A few friends have Japanese 4X4's and they are more comfortable and quieter and better mpg sometimes, I wouldn't put them in the same bracket TBH.

I like driving in rivers round me and with a Land Rover you don't hesitate which I may not do if I had carpets that could get damaged. :oops:

If you just gonna drive across the occasional field and have your other half in to the shops a lot get a Jap.

If your in the country side a lot across all terrians in all weathers get a Land Rover.

Land Rovers are the only vehicle in the world that look better with dinks and scratches.

I'm driving across Morocco on my own with limited spares next year so it really has to be a Land Rover as they are a lot easier to work on and the thought of doing this in a Jap is just not cricket in my eyes.

If you look after a Land Rover they are as reliable as anything else.

If you decide on a Land Rover take somebody with you who knows them to check it out as there are a lot of dogs out there.

If you have to ask which one I feel a Land Rover may not be for you but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps,

Hatstand.

you can always spot the people that don't go far in their 4x4 :lol:

It's not THAT bad with the gas conversion. :lol:

It'll do low 20's on the MPG with a careful right foot, but with LPG at 74p a litre it's nigh on half the price of unleaded still, so it kinda equates to close to 40 mpg at petrol costs...which ain't too bad.

Give it the beans, particularly off road and it's more like 7 mpg which doesn't get you far! :blink:

...but it sounds and goes awesomely! :good:

This one always causes problems. From my time in GLASS it was alway funny to listen to everyone chatting. The Landy Lads were always welding this, replacing that, working all night to get the Landy running so they could go out, whereas the lads with the "Jap ****" only visits to the garage was to buy fuel. Come to think of if the lads with Vauxhalls and Jeeps didn't have too many problems either. Now owning a Landy I understand the "excitement" of what will not work today <_<

I think diffent people have different difinitions of what is good or bad. Also when choosing your 4x4 different people are looking for different things. You pay your money and take your choice

Don't get me wrong, if I needed a daily driver to do hundreds of miles a week it would be a Jap TD, probably a Mitsubishi.

My Landy's are for local runs, my hobbies of fishing and shooting, chucking the dogs in the back when they're covered in mud and **** without worrying about the upholstery, summer trips to the beach (not far!) with the kids in the back and the roof in the shed, and those snowy winter days where 2wd isn't even going to get me out of my parking spot. It's an occasional vehicle, most of the long runs are done in a 'normal' estate car. By 'normal', what I really mean is characterless! :yes:

Edited by -Mongrel-

I think the last two posts sum up exactly the British spirit for the underdog. It explains why British have a soft spot for the runts of the litter and carry home little birds to try and feed themselves instead of letting nature take its natural course. Let's face it; Land Rover has been bottom of the JD Powers reliability survey for donkeys years whilst Japs are always up at the top. If you want a vehicle to actually do what a vehicle is supposed to do i.e. start and continue to run for the duration of the journey without any manual intervention, and you have things to do at weekends other then mend your truck, then pick Japanese. If however your hobbies include laying under vehicles or thumbing a lift home from random destinations then the runt of the litter awaits you, your money and your time.

For me it has to be a Defender 110 but my defender is only used for one thing shooting

No need to remove the wellies and beaters can jump in the back with muddy dogs

The bit about them constantly breaking down i think is a bit unfair as many of them are over 20 years old and most Jap 4x4s are normaly scrapped by then

For me it has to be a Defender 110 but my defender is only used for one thing shooting

No need to remove the wellies and beaters can jump in the back with muddy dogs

The bit about them constantly breaking down i think is a bit unfair as many of them are over 20 years old and most Jap 4x4s are normaly scrapped by then

Maybe, but like Trigger's sweeping brush (Only Fools & Horses) they have had ten new engines and five new bodies in that twenty years. :lol:

Maybe, but like Trigger's sweeping brush (Only Fools & Horses) they have had ten new engines and five new bodies in that twenty years. :lol:

LOL at that ^^^. Valid point though...they reckon 90% of all Landies built are still on the road...just not on the vehicle they were originally! :lol:

Reliability isn't that bad in my experience, my Disco went from MOT to MOT for with only service items most years. The problem with them is rust. If you get a good one and stay on top of it then that's ok, get a bad one and it'll be another one being 'broken' in double quick time.